Login

russian armor

Stats are in... Some obvious factions to address!

26 Jan 2018, 05:07 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jan 2018, 00:01 AMVaz
I think this is a very very poor way of measuring balance. I also find it strange you are using the word barometer.

I am not smart but atmospheric pressure may be used to predict weather? So would that mean these stats do not tell you the weather but indicate what it could be statistically? o_O But I agree that precision in language is paramount for proper communication.
26 Jan 2018, 22:25 PM

Is it common for someone to create a throwaway and then post "the facts", followed by an immediate defense of "I didn't post this for you to poke holes (read: question) my methodology" to one of the very people being used in the stats?

Anyway, the OKW v OST question is interesting. I remember VonIvan saying how surprised he was that everyone played OKW in the star crossed cup (fun games to watch btw, props to the participants and Romeo) instead of OST since he would have expected OST to be the "stronger faction".

Side note, OKW is my preferred Axis army ;D

27 Jan 2018, 05:01 AM

Yes, but I'm actually not the biggest fan of these kind of stats because they don't actually measure what everybody intuitively thinks they measure, so they are bound to be misunderstood...

Statisticians often exclude outliers when studying variables (factions in this case). Studying the win streaks of the top 10 is studying the outliers of the outliers. I'm not sure it really tells you anything beyond what faction some of the top players like to play.
27 Jan 2018, 18:53 PM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jan 2018, 05:01 AMGrumpy

Statisticians often exclude outliers when studying variables (factions in this case). Studying the win streaks of the top 10 is studying the outliers of the outliers. I'm not sure it really tells you anything beyond what faction some of the top players like to play.

Ah, well, I think Elchino was asking if it would be possible to basically recreate the statistics that was formerly available on coh2charts, so that is what my answer is about.

Regarding winstreaks: Yes, it probably is more a reflection of when people play. That said, it might not actually as bad as one might think. Certainly, you'd need to employ some robust averaging method to take out the outliers. The biggest issue that I see is that the ensemble is tiny and that it is not clear over which period the streaks happened...

Still, my answer would still apply here, I'm not a big fan of using numbers from automatch to gauge faction balance...
30 Jan 2018, 09:40 AM

One thing is for sure, 1v1 USF still stomps Ostheer, that match has been unbalanced since the release of Western Front Armies.
30 Jan 2018, 17:26 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Still, my answer would still apply here, I'm not a big fan of using numbers from automatch to gauge faction balance...

I'll take it as more of a fire alarm. A difference around 5-10% is expectable but anything beyond that it might mean that something is an issue. It won't tell you where the fire is going on but that you should take a look and see what is happening.
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★