Login

russian armor

Too many players left...

PAGES (11)down
21 Aug 2013, 22:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Aug 2013, 22:01 PMntd
DGN...that's the people searching at any given time, not everyone playing the whole game.

That's what I mean though... Only .001% of the population that owns the game is searching for an automatch at any given time? That's really really low.
21 Aug 2013, 22:21 PM

you can read Sega's first quarter reports for this financial year. All the numbers are there.

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/2014031q_hosoku_e_final.pdf

Thanks, I stand corrected. Decent sales figures and will rise in the next couple of months. Unfortunately it does SEEM the more casual gamer has bought it. I still have a pretty hard time finding players during peak hours (3-9pm Weekdays). When I click find match and see 4-7 people searching, that doesn't look good. I understand its searching within my skill range but still.

In all honesty, I really feel the game has lost a lot of its steam (no pun intended), and I can't understand why with leaderboards up, new patchs coming, and some decent features added.
21 Aug 2013, 23:22 PM

Thanks, I stand corrected. Decent sales figures and will rise in the next couple of months. Unfortunately it does SEEM the more casual gamer has bought it. I still have a pretty hard time finding players during peak hours (3-9pm Weekdays). When I click find match and see 4-7 people searching, that doesn't look good. I understand its searching within my skill range but still.

In all honesty, I really feel the game has lost a lot of its steam (no pun intended), and I can't understand why with leaderboards up, new patchs coming, and some decent features added.

Well I can only speak for myself, but keep in mind, I was a hard core coh fanatic. I just wasnt having fun with multiplayer and have stopped playing till I see something interesting. Maybe thats the case for a lot of people who knows, but I do know before I stopped playing it got harder and harder to find a match.

Something big might need to happen to get players back in the spirit.

May I suggest Giant Hitler and Stalin Robots that launch laser cannon equipped drones? With the same exact stats so none can cry op!!

Or get rid of blizzards.. that ll do as well
21 Aug 2013, 23:36 PM

I used to get annoyed at the pointless "achievements" in games like coh2 that are given out for unremarkable acts like playing 1 automatch or 1 campaign mission until I realized that they provide public statistical data on a game's audience. Im sure theyre not perfect but they have to be in the ballpark I'd assume

Some interesting things if they are to be believed:

21.1% of people have played 1 automatch game
12.5% have played 3 campaign missions
7.0% have played 10 campaign missions
6.5% have played 10 automatch games
2.9% have played 3 theater of war missions

tl;dr this is something I see a lot of, namely casuals buying the game and then not even playing the game they buy? I dont care how busy you are IRL,I will never understand how people can buy a game and then just completely drop off. And we wonder why automatch 1v1 has such a small population compared to total sales.

22 Aug 2013, 00:06 AM
Donator 11

22 Aug 2013, 02:33 AM

Oh look - it's Jim Raynor! Yawn...
23 Aug 2013, 11:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Aug 2013, 22:06 PMZ3r07

XCOM: Enemy Unknown unit sold: 390,000
Source: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70978/xcom-enemy-unknown/

Average players online on steam: 4,000 let's say 5,000 because it doesn't require steam.
Source:
http://steamcharts.com/app/200510

so that equals 1,28% of players playing the game.

COH2:

380,000 units sold
6,000 players on average.

=1.57%

I'm surprised as well, but it does seem to make sense.

The average number of CoH2 players in the last 30 days is a little under 4000, thereby showing a steady decline over time. Nonetheless, I can imagine the campaign, ToW and compstomp players are moving on to other games.

Still, the average number of CoH1 players just before the servers were shut down and the game went to steam was higher, compared to the current average number of CoH2 players. This is alarming.
23 Aug 2013, 11:27 AM

Its hard to get into the multiplayer part of the game, if theres only Pros out there searching getting beaten most of the time sucks.

Am currently just learning the ropes and not giving up, if I fancy learning without getting my butt handed to me I'll play AI but most want to progress to pvp like myself.
23 Aug 2013, 13:48 PM
Donator 33

One of the things contributing to the buyers seemingly not playing might be internetcafés - 100 comps with only a few people playing the game once in a while will confuse such statistics.
23 Aug 2013, 13:53 PM

Is the game suffering from lack of the old rank system? In CoH1, even with the broken drophacked ranks, you can usually find a game with people of like ranking. It isn't hard to figure out whose rank is fake and whose is real.
23 Aug 2013, 14:10 PM

It's one of the reasons they need custom lobbies, in game friends system, and a chat room. That will attract/retain players of all skill types.

Don't want to get stomped in automatch? Setup a custom game for new players.

Don't have any players to play with? Meet people in chat, whisper them, add them to friends, play.

Want to hear directly from POTUSBarackObama? Join the GR.ORG chat
23 Aug 2013, 16:18 PM

It's one of the reasons they need custom lobbies, in game friends system, and a chat room. That will attract/retain players of all skill types.

Don't want to get stomped in automatch? Setup a custom game for new players.

Don't have any players to play with? Meet people in chat, whisper them, add them to friends, play.

Want to hear directly from POTUSBarackObama? Join the GR.ORG chat

Jawohl!
raw
23 Aug 2013, 19:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Aug 2013, 16:46 PMNoun

Not sure if you're serious or not. The dancing banana is pretty tricky that way.

That was the non-serious dancing banana. The serious dancing banana looks the same but wears a swastika armband.

Were you living in a cave? Everyone knows that SEGA is huge =)

I knew it was huge and that they made sonic with accompanying animated tv-series and the obscure dreamcast console. That was around 2000? Then suddenly they buy the TW IP and now Relic. I didn't know Sega was huge, more like a fallen empire.
3 of 3 Relic postsRelic 23 Aug 2013, 20:11 PM

Still, the average number of CoH1 players just before the servers were shut down and the game went to steam was higher, compared to the current average number of CoH2 players. This is alarming.

Yup and we sold millions and millions of copies of CoH over it's lifetime. It was regularly on sale for $5 or less on Steam and there was the THQ Humble Bundle as well. If anyone was vaguely interested in playing CoH they would have been able to get the game and both expansion packs for under $10 a number of times.

We've been selling well, but we're not at original CoH numbers yet and won't be for a long time. If anything strong CoH numbers speak well for the future of CoH 2, in that it shows that we make games with lasting popularity and that take advantage of the long tail.

Edit: I just wanted to clarify the statement "we're not at original CoH numbers yet" is talking about CoH's total lifetime sales. We're doing quite well compared with CoH at the same point post-launch.
24 Aug 2013, 04:58 AM
Donator 11

Thing is coh2 is nowhere near the quality of coh1 at this stage. I played coh1 since release and yes it was kinda imbalanced but the core gameplay was rock solid, coh2 has so many things that just feels unfun and no simple number changes are gonna change that.

24 Aug 2013, 06:30 AM

I broke top 150 with both factions in 1v1 and was playing like a madman for a while, but now I'm a bit burned out.

I used to be a 2v2 player in COH, before that 4v4s with buds. COH2 felt a bit less micro intensive (mainly due to the lower infantry DPS) in 1v1 so I got pretty decent. But the focus and concentration I need to play competitively is really hard to come by these days, and even with lower infantry DPS I was running into a focus/multitasking/concentration wall and losing to my own mistakes (you know, no MAJOR mistakes, just squads getting gibbed because I don't multitask as well as the some of the top guys, and you can't compensate for unit preservation failures with macro or outthinking your opponent at the highest level of play), so I'm taking a break. I'd play the casual side, but frankly the 3v3 and 4v4 maps just suck and that game is boring as shit. I'm looking forward to the Montargis of COH2, along with lobbies, and I hope for the sake of the game both come, because custom Montargis games were basically "the game" for many casual players and provided good fights and a lot of fun. Ok, people did like the Scheldt, lol...Maybe Relic needs to make some noob-friendly maps to lure more casuals into online play.

My other issue is that I just don't enjoy playing Soviets at all, whereas I really liked both the classic VCOH factions and PE. I find them gimicky and unwieldly, and I'd much prefer conscripts to scale as well as rifles did in VCOH, but they just don't, and you have to use gimmick after gimmick to win (clown cars, snipers, KV-8s, SU-85s, a mortar that can cover 2/3rds of the map). I really, really dislike the SU-85, using that unit is just not nearly as fun as using AT-Guns and M10/Shermans in Vcoh. But you had to use it, at least up until this new patch?

Hopefully this patch has changed T-34s enough to lure me back in a bit!
24 Aug 2013, 06:38 AM

I used to be a 2v2 player in COH, before that 4v4s with buds. COH2 felt a bit less micro intensive (mainly due to the lower infantry DPS) in 1v1 so I got pretty decent. But the focus and concentration I need to play competitively is really hard to come by these days, and even with lower infantry DPS I was running into a focus/multitasking/concentration wall and losing to my own mistakes (you know, no MAJOR mistakes, just squads getting gibbed because I don't multitask as well as the some of the top guys, and you can't compensate for unit preservation failures with macro or outthinking your opponent at the highest level of play), so I'm taking a break. I'd play the casual side, but frankly the 3v3 and 4v4 maps just suck and that game is boring as shit. I'm looking forward to the Montargis of COH2, along with lobbies, and I hope for the sake of the game both come, because custom Montargis games were basically "the game" for many casual players and provided good fights and a lot of fun. Ok, people did like the Scheldt, lol...Maybe Relic needs to make some noob-friendly maps to lure more casuals into online play.

The lower micro in coh2 I think is great for the game. I don't think that a STRATEGY game should come down to how good a player is with their mouse and keyboard, and yes I think things like the schelt and custom lobbies are important to bring in more casual players. I was once one of those players.
24 Aug 2013, 11:20 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Aug 2013, 20:11 PMNoun
We're doing quite well compared with CoH at the same point post-launch.

Well, you can compare it to the tough choice between various pizza toppings.................just kidding :P.

I understand your point, yet CoH2 should significantly outperform CoH1, as it builds upon a household name, whereas CoH1 was entirely new. This makes the comparison somewhat skewed. Next to that, the current trend of average CoH2 players is the complete opposite of that of the CoH1 post-launch long-term trend.

Hopefully, a few good patches will bring back/attract players to reverse this trend. Since sales were splendid, I suppose we wont see a price drop fairly soon.
25 Aug 2013, 06:24 AM

Permanently Banned
Think as long as they keep up a good patch quality and rate at 1 per month, they are golden for new purchases, keeping up interest and future content.

Casting community has used editting to overcome the replay functions (retrograde) handicaps. World builder would be a big plus, and save them costs. CoH2.org has coveredfr ladder failure.

Patch quality is where its at, and what will make/break the game, on the Devs side, imo.
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS