Login

russian armor

Ask the Strategist!

PAGES (38)down
12 Sep 2013, 19:08 PM

I know a lot of high-level players like to use buildings near key strat/resource points to their advantage. What's the best way to do this?

Do you want to first capture the key point near the building, then get into the building to deal damage to the enemy squad once they arrive? When they do arrive? do you get out to stop the cap once you've dealt enough damage to give you the advantage in the engagement? Or do you just wait them out and cap it back once they're forced to retreat/soft-retreat?

And what about when your opponent just runs past you and tries to cut you off instead? Chase him or stay in the building and continue to deny him that point?

12 Sep 2013, 20:03 PM

So do you think it's worth it to order your tank, AT gun, or other AOE weapon to attack ground specifically where the flamer engi, or the PGren with the schrek is standing? Or are you better off just attacking the squad normally with the default right-click?

The accuracy when using attack ground is really low, so I'd advice you use the regular attack order.

I know a lot of high-level players like to use buildings near key strat/resource points to their advantage. What's the best way to do this?

Do you want to first capture the key point near the building, then get into the building to deal damage to the enemy squad once they arrive? When they do arrive? do you get out to stop the cap once you've dealt enough damage to give you the advantage in the engagement? Or do you just wait them out and cap it back once they're forced to retreat/soft-retreat?

And what about when your opponent just runs past you and tries to cut you off instead? Chase him or stay in the building and continue to deny him that point?

Everyone tried to get to the houses asap because houses offer a lot of protection. The ideal situation would be where you'd capture a point quite forward from your base and then defend it to your enemy with squads in a house nearby. Your troops will always be strongest if they're fighting from within a house, but if there's a weak squad trying to capture a point it's sometimes worth it to get out and deny the cap (but only if you won't lose the house that way)

Some players will indeed ignore you and go somewhere else. If they threaten your cutoff/main resources this way you have to get out and prevent it, but sometimes you're able to get a squad in a house near one of his critical cut offs. In that case, just leave the squad there and try to keep harrassing his cut off to deny him resources.
13 Sep 2013, 15:12 PM

Does shooting from camo with the Zis(doctrine ability from shock rifle tactics) give extra dmg (like the old pak38)?
4 Oct 2013, 18:11 PM

Does shooting from camo with the Zis(doctrine ability from shock rifle tactics) give extra dmg (like the old pak38)?

No, though it's really nice to be able to hide your AT from the enemy :P
4 Oct 2013, 19:28 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

They move too slowly tho :(
4 Oct 2013, 21:09 PM

Permanently Banned
Symb. you still owe me answers about command tank and arty officer bonuses!! :D
5 Oct 2013, 09:23 AM

Hard to find the exact numbers but here are they:

The Command Tank gives a 0.8 received damage modifier to all nearby vehicles. So they take 20% less damage when in range.

The Artillery Field Officer gives no passive bonus, but if you use the Concentrated Fire ability, all nearby squads will have 15% more accuracy.
6 Oct 2013, 09:35 AM

Having a hard time countering Soviet go to ground. They usually just spam at an mg, go to ground within molotov range and throw them. When they get the PPSH upgrade it just gets worse. Rifle grenades seems to be the only thing that can clear them out but they're pretty expensive when you only kill maybe 2-3 of them, with rapid deployment they're back before you can recoup your muni losses. Tips, tricks?
6 Oct 2013, 10:22 AM

There are a few viable options, but first you have to realise that Hit The Dirt provides the Conscripts with yellow cover, and, that any form of cover is ignored if two units are within 10 meters of each other. That means closing in with pgrens is an option (mp44 vs ppsh is still a close one then) and if you have the munitions indeed, rifle grenaders are great too.

But you can also use other units to counter; Snipers can easily pick them off once they're down, and mortars will be great too since the unit is stationary when it uses Hit The Dirt. And if he's really spamming Conscripts, I'd try to get a flamer halftrack and torch them all!
6 Oct 2013, 14:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Oct 2013, 09:35 AMRyondo
Having a hard time countering Soviet go to ground. They usually just spam at an mg, go to ground within molotov range and throw them. When they get the PPSH upgrade it just gets worse. Rifle grenades seems to be the only thing that can clear them out but they're pretty expensive when you only kill maybe 2-3 of them, with rapid deployment they're back before you can recoup your muni losses. Tips, tricks?

Hey Ryondo,

What Symbiosis said is good! Keep in mind though you can also run them over easily with tanks when they are in HTD, but be careful as you only want to do this when your certain you can quickly repair your tank if they get an AT nade off.

With grenades I tend to use them sparingly against HTD conscripts. Only use rifle nades if they are really clumped up or you msut gain map control. Otherwise that ammo is always better invested in FHT or Gren upgrades.
6 Oct 2013, 22:36 PM

if the map was divided equally, 50/50, for pretty much the entire game, and both players resource income was very similar....

would it be better to build a t-70? or wait for the t-34?
7 Oct 2013, 09:44 AM

Hey Muffins,

I actually base this one on my opponents unit composition, ammo investment, veterancy and/or most likely teching route. The way I base this decision is:

T70
  • Scout Car spam but they have no veterancy. Vet2 upgun comes faster and will beat the T70.
  • Huge Ostheer T1. The T70 will completely push them off the map. The fast movement, fire rate will then also let you contain your opponent and restrict easy capping with their larger infantry force, just like that American defensive M8.
  • Flamer HT rush - Only if I know I'll have the fuel for a fast T70. This is great because you kill a strong AI unit and your opponent won't have the ammo for shrecks.

T34
  • Scout Car spam but they have veterancy. Vet2 upgun comes faster and will beat the T70, so T34 will be a much safer fuel investment.
  • My opponent is likely to be getting Shrecks with their ammo as they have yet to spent any on LMG/FHT. T70 can get really hurt by a good shreck ambush, but this is sort of map dependant.
  • T3 Ostheer. I much rather be getting fuel down into T34's than a T70. However, if your confident that a T70 will win you more fuel then get it instead. That heavy Ostheer T1 is a good indication of this.

12 Oct 2013, 01:10 AM

What works against Assault Grens? The T2 comes fast.
12 Oct 2013, 06:13 AM

Shocktroops, Snipers or t70/34!
14 Oct 2013, 15:01 PM

A question is HM-38 120mm mortar.

Can I damage/ kill an Ostwind with this?
Ostwind has no top, so technically dropping a 35 pound shell right on it should at least kill the crew, right?
14 Oct 2013, 18:57 PM

http://www.coh2.org/topic/9151/camouflage

Need all units of a squad need to be in cover or is the cover icon enough to get them to cloak?
14 Oct 2013, 19:11 PM

http://www.coh2.org/topic/9151/camouflage

Need all units of a squad need to be in cover or is the cover icon enough to get them to cloak?

The icon needs to appear, so not every entity has to be in cover to be able to cloak.

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Oct 2013, 15:01 PMtokarev
A question is HM-38 120mm mortar.

Can I damage/ kill an Ostwind with this?
Ostwind has no top, so technically dropping a 35 pound shell right on it should at least kill the crew, right?

Haha that'd be fun, but that's not the case. You can only shoot soldiers out of vehicles if they got into that vehicle first (like with the Russian M3 and M5, and the German SdfKz 251)
14 Oct 2013, 19:17 PM

The icon needs to appear, so not every entity has to be in cover to be able to cloak.

Untrue. Every model needs to be in cover. How many times have I had 3 camo'd models while the 4th sits out in the open - the 'cloak' icon does not appear.
14 Oct 2013, 20:37 PM

Hi, guys. My pal and I often play in 2-2. On small maps like Harkov or Minsk pocket we can go together forward from the start, but on larger maps like Rjev, Moskow Outskirts or Oka it looks like we have a few ways: go together on choke points, each take has own side and try to hold both fuel points or together from one side then go to center. So what you can advise for big maps and actions from the start?
PAGES (38)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS