Login

russian armor

The correct way to pay mechanized assault late game?

6 Dec 2017, 14:04 PM

Because I skip t1, lacking indirect fire hurts a bit in late game. Any suggestions?
6 Dec 2017, 14:15 PM

I guess the most obvious answer would be to not skip t1 :)

A lot of people seem to favor going t2 rather than one for the luchs and while it can also be a very good option, bear in mind that this will severely delay your medium tanks which already come out much later than other factions. Furthermore it will make you quite reliant on medkits which will cost a lot of munitions in the long run.

My advice would be that you should not necessarily go t2 by default, but consider your options as you see your opponents opening. Also there is no shame in backteching to t1 later in the game if you become in need of indirect fire.

Unless you can catch an enemy mortar, the lieg is basically your only option for real indirect fire as OKW.
6 Dec 2017, 14:51 PM

A lot of people seem to favor going t2 rather than one for the luchs and while it can also be a very good option, bear in mind that this will severely delay your medium tanks which already come out much later than other factions. Furthermore it will make you quite reliant on medkits which will cost a lot of munitions in the long run.

My advice would be that you should not necessarily go t2 by default, but consider your options as you see your opponents opening. Also there is no shame in backteching to t1 later in the game if you become in need of indirect fire.

Unless you can catch an enemy mortar, the lieg is basically your only option for real indirect fire as OKW.

I think he's talking about Ostheer Mechanised Assault doctrine.

First rule of Mechanised Assault is to know what the doctrine provides that you can rely on without tech. Going only for Assault Grenadiers is a poor choice, so it's always worth building tier 1 for three Grens, possibly a mortar if need be. Assgrens are a unit that will complement a strategy, not dominate it, so if you're on a very urban map they can help, but don't expect them to do too well if you try spamming them.

Usually, Mechanised Assault players will go for tier 1 for baseline infantry, then tier 2 for paks and other light vehicles, and complement it with the pgren halftrack if needed or wait for Stug Es.

With the Tiger being 13cps, you'll struggle to just sit out and wait for it with your Stug Es. I'd always recommend building your tier three tech for more robust Stug Gs and the occasional P4. The Tiger call in will be expected, so don't be surprised if an enemy is prepared to deal with it. Your strategy will vary depending on what map you choose, and it's entirely possible that you decide going all the way to tier 4 for a panzerwerfer is better, or get one after your tiger.

But I must stress, don't skip tier one, because Mechanised Assault is very weak if you rely only on the call ins.
6 Dec 2017, 15:00 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

Ostheer Strategies

^^ First read pls^^

Because I skip t1, lacking indirect fire hurts a bit in late game. Any suggestions?

Depends on which map and vs who.

Like vs Soviet if he goes soviet t1 and m3 you can get in trouble without grens with faust.

This doc got picked often in the past, because of the stug and the Tiger.
6 Dec 2017, 15:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Dec 2017, 14:51 PMSwift

I think he's talking about Ostheer Mechanised Assault doctrine.

First rule of Mechanised Assault is to know what the doctrine provides that you can rely on without tech. Going only for Assault Grenadiers is a poor choice, so it's always worth building tier 1 for three Grens, possibly a mortar if need be. Assgrens are a unit that will complement a strategy, not dominate it, so if you're on a very urban map they can help, but don't expect them to do too well if you try spamming them.

Usually, Mechanised Assault players will go for tier 1 for baseline infantry, then tier 2 for paks and other light vehicles, and complement it with the pgren halftrack if needed or wait for Stug Es.

With the Tiger being 13cps, you'll struggle to just sit out and wait for it with your Stug Es. I'd always recommend building your tier three tech for more robust Stug Gs and the occasional P4. The Tiger call in will be expected, so don't be surprised if an enemy is prepared to deal with it. Your strategy will vary depending on what map you choose, and it's entirely possible that you decide going all the way to tier 4 for a panzerwerfer is better, or get one after your tiger.

But I must stress, don't skip tier one, because Mechanised Assault is very weak if you rely only on the call ins.

I am talking about that commander indeed.

I only pick this commander against USF.

What I usually do is to get 2 assault grens and 2 mgs then tech t2. Get early pak and mechanized assault group during t2. Then get t3 and a panzer IV, and finally call in a tiger.

For late game I usually end up with 2 assault grens, 3 panzer grens, 1 or 2 mgs, 1 pak, 1 panzer IV and 1 tiger.

Kinda late indirect fire potential.

Btw, this is for 1v1
6 Dec 2017, 16:16 PM

Well, having only two "fighting units" (these being the assgrens, since MGs are supportive) is probably an issue you have. This is quite light and will lose you fights if it's all you do, since the USf player will typically have three to four Rifles, as well as LT and/or Cpt.

Build tier one first, and get out three grens. Assgrens should only be used on certain maps where there are lots of shot blockers. Never build them on maps like Minsk or Road to Kharkov, because there's lots of open ground they have to cover. Parts of Kholodny are good, as well as Arnhem, but they should be bought sparingly. One is usually enough, and two MGs is not typically necessary unless you are going fo a heavy tier one (which be warned vs USf is unadvisable given the plethora of light vehicles at their disposal.
6 Dec 2017, 17:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Dec 2017, 16:16 PMSwift
Well, having only two "fighting units" (these being the assgrens, since MGs are supportive) is probably an issue you have. This is quite light and will lose you fights if it's all you do, since the USf player will typically have three to four Rifles, as well as LT and/or Cpt.

Build tier one first, and get out three grens. Assgrens should only be used on certain maps where there are lots of shot blockers. Never build them on maps like Minsk or Road to Kharkov, because there's lots of open ground they have to cover. Parts of Kholodny are good, as well as Arnhem, but they should be bought sparingly. One is usually enough, and two MGs is not typically necessary unless you are going fo a heavy tier one (which be warned vs USf is unadvisable given the plethora of light vehicles at their disposal.

I don't think having only 2 grens is a big problem. I usually get only 2 grens for most of my matches and it works just fine. I think with proper position of support weapons, I am able to push back most of his force. Also, there is going to be at least 2 panzergrens in late game. 4 fighting units in total is not that bad.
6 Dec 2017, 17:50 PM

I hate to be the one to ask, but what's your playercard look like? It would give us an idea of who your opponents are.
6 Dec 2017, 17:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Dec 2017, 17:50 PMSwift
I hate to be the one to ask, but what's your playercard look like? It would give us an idea of who your opponents are.

Well, I am a really casual player. My Wehrmacht level is around 970-990, Rank 8 for 1v1
6 Dec 2017, 19:04 PM

Well, I am a really casual player. My Wehrmacht level is around 970-990, Rank 8 for 1v1

Ok. I recommend you upload a replay to the site at some point soon and ask for a review. If you get a decent length game that you lose then a strategist should be able to isolate the problems you have in your play.

Other than that, keep going, don't give up. The more you play, the better you get.
6 Dec 2017, 19:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Dec 2017, 19:04 PMSwift

Ok. I recommend you upload a replay to the site at some point soon and ask for a review. If you get a decent length game that you lose then a strategist should be able to isolate the problems you have in your play.

Other than that, keep going, don't give up. The more you play, the better you get.

Thanks for the help!

Actually I am not losing to much in my current level.

Just not feeling very confident to pull out my strategy consistently.
6 Dec 2017, 19:50 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Dec 2017, 19:04 PMSwift

Seconding this suggestion. Me and Joshua85 would be more than willing to help you with any replays that you post to replay review. Seeing an actual example of how youre building, what youre doing well, and what youre doing wrong would really allow us to refine the feedback youre getting.
6 Dec 2017, 19:53 PM

Ostheer Strategies

^^ First read pls^^

Doh! My bad man :(

I was certain that I was in the OKW section :new:
6 Dec 2017, 20:51 PM

Seconding this suggestion. Me and Joshua85 would be more than willing to help you with any replays that you post to replay review. Seeing an actual example of how youre building, what youre doing well, and what youre doing wrong would really allow us to refine the feedback youre getting.

Oooooooh thanks!

I have several of them.

I will post them later today
6 Dec 2017, 22:39 PM

Assault grenadiers don't have panzerfausts. Many players will capitalize on this the moment they see an assault gren.

By not having t1, you lose out on having a snare to disable enemy vehicles.

Lategame you can potentially use panzerwerfers instead of mortars, but getting to that lategame without mortars might be more challenging than necessary.
I from time to time skip t1 and sneak teller mines everywhere I can, but only in teamgames.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★