Login

russian armor

Having trouble updating mod

5 Nov 2017, 14:32 PM

So. A long time ago I made a mod for a friend. I shipped over the files to them, and they released it publicly as ModA.

Now, we wanted to create a new mod, that contains elements of modA, but want it to appear as a separate workshop item.

Therefore, I created a new mod. I copied all the files of modA, and ran a substitution script that changes the id of ModA files to match the id of ModB files. My friend managed to upload (publish for the first time) ModB just fine, and both ModA and ModB appear as separate items.

Then, I tried modifying ModB. I shipped over the entire mod (with the updated files). My friend is able to compile and play the updated modB just fine. However, they are not able to publish changes to modB at all.

Has anybody encountered a situation like this before?
5 Nov 2017, 15:08 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Why send the entire mod instead of just the modified files?

I would recommend using GitHub or some sort of source control so that when one person updates, the other gets only the modified files.
5 Nov 2017, 15:38 PM

What I'm sending is the entire instance folder of the mod, the .mod file and the .xml file.

Basically, our github looks like this:
https://github.com/xxpatch/consmod

The reason why I feel I need to include the .mod and .xml file for the root folder of the mod is because I need to make sure that the property bag ID of the files of the mod matches the ID of the master file.

If the IDs do not match, the attribute editor will unlick references to newly created files, and then the mod won't work properly.

So, I created a new mod, with a new .mod file and ID, and then I ran a substitution script on the instances/ folder to substitute old ID references to new ID references.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 42
Germany 6
Korea, Republic Of 1
Germany 43

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %