Login

russian armor

Guards Infantry - Best Use?

13 Oct 2017, 15:31 PM

I'm curious - how do you best use Guards now in the current patch? Personally, I find them rather inefficient after they were turbo nerfed last patch where other similarly priced Elite Infantry tend to outclass them pound for pound in the AI department and when it comes to light AT duty Luches and Flamer HT just bleeds them too much. I don't want to write them off as UP and give up but *shrug*
13 Oct 2017, 16:36 PM

I've been trying to use them recently and, while not being as good as penals, they aren't that bad. Probably the best way to use them is to support and complement a combined arms army where they can damage a tank before delivering an at grenade with cons to ensure a snare, dissuade light tanks fro overextending, button a vehicle to get an additional shot with a su85 or a zis. The only thing that bugs me is that their dp lmg upgrade is more expensive than other lmgs (75 munis vs 60) while being worse than mg42s, 50cals and the likes.
13 Oct 2017, 17:07 PM

Don't pick a doctrine for them.

But if you have chosen a doctrine with Guards they are a better option than upgrading your Penals with PTRS. (Which isn't saying much since Penal PTRS aren't great.)
13 Oct 2017, 17:28 PM

They make T2 more viable. I know that's not saying much, but button+zis is still very effective against most mediums and lights. They also are more cost effective than penals once you upgrade them with DPs because they don't have to advance to do their damage. Vetted guards are still pretty good, and its nice that you can finally buy back lost weapons.

I wouldn't say there's any "similarly priced infantry that outclass them pound for pound". They cost 20 less mp than Paratroopers who have zero defense against tanks, and slightly better AI after more expensive upgrades. They cost 40 less MP than Obers who are even more vulnerable to tanks, and come much later. Both outclass them in AI, but both of them are dedicated to that and if you can vet them up the Guards AI is still very good.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★