Login

russian armor

Picked up from MayBP a little late...can't win 2v2, 3v3

11 Aug 2017, 15:13 PM

Hi All,

I was writing to get your ideas and input on what US should do in multiplayer games. I used to be a fan of mech company, and thought it would be useful for recalling the medium "shock" vehicles in multiplayer, but I've found this commander to be a waste every time (especially building the WC51 is terribad).

I've tried the other doctrines and have failed in battle after battle. The Amis seem to get squished way too easily in team games now. I've tried getting pack howies, scotts, MGs, all to no avail. I can combine my infantry, support weapons, and artillery pieces (even with Vet 2 and 3) and I still get roflstomped by the axis.

Ostheer just riflenades my support weapons, OKW makes my riflemen disappear before I can pull of an effective pincer movement. Clumping my infantry to try to get parity of power results in call-ins, leig, or 81mm mortar devastating my infantry, while I struggle to get the same results with my pack howis or scotts.

Getting harassed off our fuel even 1 time is enough to delay a sherman to the point that it is no longer a viable shock unit, two hits from a cloaked panzerwerfer or a couple from a PAK are enough to mitigate my "awesome shock unit" that all the guides gush about, and any chance I had of gaining a mid-game lead evaporate in seconds.

What the ever-loving *garden* are you supposed to do as USF in team games!?!!?
11 Aug 2017, 18:17 PM

M8 Scott is actually pretty good if you dont offend RNG Gods

But it just isnt worth playing as USF in teamgames.
A faction designed solely for flanking and pushes, based on its mainline infantry is guaranteed to not be viable in 3vs3
Some balance tweaks might make them remotely useful in 2vs2s, but now, they just suck
15 Aug 2017, 13:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback. "Don't play US" is not what I was looking for in the US Strategy forum, hah.

I've found some success the past few days, but it's a fragile thing and I can't expect to dominate unless the opposing axis are terribad. The elite infantry commanders seem to be somewhat helpful. Many of the US "armor" units are so fragile that they seem to not be worth building since Axis seems to get there faster with better tanks, so most of the time I end up bumming around with a large infantry force, .50 cals, jacksons, and some pack howis or scotts. Occasionally mortars and AT guns are useful.
15 Aug 2017, 15:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback. "Don't play US" is not what I was looking for in the US Strategy forum, hah.

I've found some success the past few days, but it's a fragile thing and I can't expect to dominate unless the opposing axis are terribad. The elite infantry commanders seem to be somewhat helpful. Many of the US "armor" units are so fragile that they seem to not be worth building since Axis seems to get there faster with better tanks, so most of the time I end up bumming around with a large infantry force, .50 cals, jacksons, and some pack howis or scotts. Occasionally mortars and AT guns are useful.

Like adamircz said, usf just isn't that great in teamgames. They can be good if used properly in 1v1, but either of the other two allied factions are better choices for teamgames.
That being said, I love usf and will still subject myself to playing teamgames with them. In the "armor" department, as you have discovered, usf lack tanks that can stand up to axis at, so I only ever build Jacksons and Scotts in teamgames. You get both functionalities of a sherman in separate units at much longer range, which is really useful for teamgames. I usually arm all my rifles to be anti infantry (double bars) and get a .50, which in combination is usually enough to stand up to any infantry, and with scotts, you will definitely win that engagement. However, I would suggest not building scotts until you have at least to Jacksons. Also, the usf at gun sucks and it'll just get Stukad anyway, so my recommendation is don't build it as the game will move to lategame fast enough that zooks will tide you over until jacksonsin 99% of games.
15 Aug 2017, 17:33 PM

coh2 is not balanced, especially in team games.
This guy is trying to make you save time because, even if you can still win sometimes with USF at low ranks, you are going to get mad very quickly when you outskill your opponent and still loose.

The current meta in team games is :
Artillery
Machinegun
Heavy tank
Blob

USF has no descent artillery, its machinegun sucks and is only in T1, no heavy tank except Pershing so i would rely only on Riflemen blob.
Upgrade them with 2xBar, some with bazooka and make a big blob of the death running around.

Your blob will get rekt in a matter of minutes by any good player, but it can still works at low level.
15 Aug 2017, 21:06 PM

Take on the role within your team of murder facing your opponents infantry and team weapons. Delegate all endgame AT to any British allies. Kill caches early and often if you can, though that's usually my soviet strat with a sneaky penal.

Invest in 2 Scotts in a teamgame, especially if there is more than one ostheer. Cover their position like you would katyushas with ATGS or a couple Jacksons if you're swimming in fuel. Usually the player you're bullying will usually just dive for your Scotts like they would katuushas or an ambulance.

Expect that, lay traps hopefully with allied support with mines or demos. Enjoy axis salt.

If you see tigers and kts, use Jacksons to delete them. If your opponents have TDS and can actually afford multiple panthers for some reason chances are your team hasn't been able to slow fuel income, and have probably been unable to hold or defend your own fuel.
16 Aug 2017, 06:07 AM

coh2 is not balanced, especially in team games.
This guy is trying to make you save time because, even if you can still win sometimes with USF at low ranks, you are going to get mad very quickly when you outskill your opponent and still loose.

The current meta in team games is :
Artillery
Machinegun
Heavy tank
Blob

USF has no descent artillery, its machinegun sucks and is only in T1, no heavy tank except Pershing so i would rely only on Riflemen blob.
Upgrade them with 2xBar, some with bazooka and make a big blob of the death running around.

Your blob will get rekt in a matter of minutes by any good player, but it can still works at low level.

Just wanna point out that calliopes are probably the most powerful unit for usf in teamgames lol, and one of the best rocket arty platforms period.
16 Aug 2017, 07:04 AM

Hi All,

I was writing to get your ideas and input on what US should do in multiplayer games. I used to be a fan of mech company, and thought it would be useful for recalling the medium "shock" vehicles in multiplayer, but I've found this commander to be a waste every time (especially building the WC51 is terribad).

I've tried the other doctrines and have failed in battle after battle. The Amis seem to get squished way too easily in team games now. I've tried getting pack howies, scotts, MGs, all to no avail. I can combine my infantry, support weapons, and artillery pieces (even with Vet 2 and 3) and I still get roflstomped by the axis.

Ostheer just riflenades my support weapons, OKW makes my riflemen disappear before I can pull of an effective pincer movement. Clumping my infantry to try to get parity of power results in call-ins, leig, or 81mm mortar devastating my infantry, while I struggle to get the same results with my pack howis or scotts.

Getting harassed off our fuel even 1 time is enough to delay a sherman to the point that it is no longer a viable shock unit, two hits from a cloaked panzerwerfer or a couple from a PAK are enough to mitigate my "awesome shock unit" that all the guides gush about, and any chance I had of gaining a mid-game lead evaporate in seconds.

What the ever-loving *garden* are you supposed to do as USF in team games!?!!?

We need to know your rank and a replay to understand your situation because what it does mean to me is you've been outplayed.

USF start being in a bad spot after 20 minutes usually, and it is also map dependent. Before that you can make your way out.
My recommendation is to not wait late game, do not wait to build a Sherman or a Jackson, use you fuel before.
Build a M15, build a Stuart, use them, keep them alive, vet them, if they didn't reach vet2 before losing them, it means you did something wrong. You need to make them have a great impact on the game.
Unlock BARs and Zook and equip them every time you have munition.
Build HMGs and mortars and spread them, combine them with your Rifles. Use the mortar to kick your opponent out of cover, use the rifles to rush it and use the HMG to assist and suppress.
Build an ATgun before 15 minutes, since you used your fuel on light vehicle, you'll be late on fuel but honestly, if you did use all your resources to push and beat your opponent, you most likely see a lonely Pz4 diving stupidly into your line and getting reck by your atgun and riflenade.

You mentioned the mechanized commander, do you use the half-track? squishy as hell, requires a fuckton of attention to not lose it but when you manage it well, it gives great rewards. Reinforcing anywhere on the field is a huge advantage but also requires to play differently than 80% of USF players, you cannot blob, you need to learn to soft retreat to use its potential.

As USF there is a cheesy strat almost unbeatable with and a certain commander, you can make your opponent ragequit in 10/15 minutes, best use is indeed 4vs4 since its requires to spam something so you need mates to cover you at the beginning.

I don't play 4vs4 random actually so I don't know if it is known from regular players. Everytime I play 4vs4 with my clan, I have to tell the USF guys to not use it since it is not fun at all to play vs.
I can give it by private message.
17 Aug 2017, 00:00 AM

Just wanna point out that calliopes are probably the most powerful unit for usf in teamgames lol, and one of the best rocket arty platforms period.

calliope are going to get nerfed in the next balance patch.
18 Aug 2017, 06:52 AM

Agreed with terrible teamgame faction. I usually play 4v4, but I lose most of them; I can never get past level 8. The thing with USF is that they're mainly meant for flanking, as said by numerous other posts. That creates a huge problem if the team isn't coordinated enough, and helpful enough, to help pin the enemy and for you to go around them. Even then since it's a 4v4 if you outflank one opponent his teammate nearby will just flank you. It's a flank sandwich. Flank on flank on flank, haha.

I agree with double Scotts. I've been experimenting with the double HMC. Once they get to vet 2 they're fantastic AND you don't piss off the RNG god before Vet 2. IMO the normal foot howy is better in terms of accuracy, but they are on foot AND they can't shoot while moving. Make sure to capitalize on that. Being able to shoot while moving. Remember the scotts have longer range than their sight, so if you can put men infront and the enemy schreks are charging you you can just shoot while going backwards.

Also, I agree with HMG not being worth it. Also, it comes in too late. I've pretty much decided to skip T1 altogether and just get 1 AT and a scott. If I need MG I'd rather just go with the Airborne Company. I back tech sometimes if the enemy Axis player has a lot of planes (AA half are great for inf and planes. Just make sure that you keep the enemy blob away from you at max range. Smash that U button.)

I've also noticed Axis players love to blob, so getting mortars and howy's from T3 is pretty damn important and make sure to have your teammates get MGs.

The most important thing I find with 4v4's is to:
1. Cap all fuel points and hold on to them for your dear life
2. Try to harass their fuel point and starve them of it
3. Destroy their fuel caches if you can
4. Put the pressure up
-for the love of GOD do NOT try to destroy their buildings early or mid game. You'll overextend and then waste men and time) (best to keep the keypoints and build up your defences)
5. Don't push too hard
-biggest mistake I see are people getting cocky and just charge in then retreating all their men and letting the Axis push with no resistance and just take everything and build up their defences
6. Caches, caches, caches

I find that it's a guarenteed win if you do this, but doing all of this is the most difficult thing if you're USF in a 4v4.

There are numerous other problems I find with the USF in 4v4, but buffing it could throw the 1v1 scene out of whack.

EDIT: M20's are actually fantastic if microd like a MOFO. Also, the mines are another great thing about it... I don't think there's a cooldown on them actually. However, I usually still skip T1.
21 Aug 2017, 03:30 AM

Don't worry man, USF is getting some help to have more presence outside of 1vs1 in the next big patch, just gotta wait and stay in touch with it.
24 Aug 2017, 11:08 AM

M1919 and non-stop bombardment.
25 Aug 2017, 20:53 PM

Like adamircz said, usf just isn't that great in teamgames. They can be good if used properly in 1v1, but either of the other two allied factions are better choices for teamgames.
That being said, I love usf and will still subject myself to playing teamgames with them. In the "armor" department, as you have discovered, usf lack tanks that can stand up to axis at, so I only ever build Jacksons and Scotts in teamgames. You get both functionalities of a sherman in separate units at much longer range, which is really useful for teamgames. I usually arm all my rifles to be anti infantry (double bars) and get a .50, which in combination is usually enough to stand up to any infantry, and with scotts, you will definitely win that engagement. However, I would suggest not building scotts until you have at least to Jacksons. Also, the usf at gun sucks and it'll just get Stukad anyway, so my recommendation is don't build it as the game will move to lategame fast enough that zooks will tide you over until jacksonsin 99% of games.

I agree with most of this, except I'll put 'zooks on the RE's early for AT, then BARs on rifles, then get the Scott for the one, two punch on the infantry which Axis inevitably will blob with. The early Axis tanks will get scared off by the RE zook and Rifles AT 'nades. Jacksons come after the Scott.

If Axis is camping hard with OKW trucks, then I'll go Cali. If it's heavy tanks, I'll go Pershing.

And as it's been stated, USF is meant to do combined arms and flank. Sadly, in team games with most maps, flanking is nigh impossible.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★