Login

russian armor

Want to improve my early game map control as ostheer

9 Jul 2017, 22:33 PM

Hi guys, im a ostheer player for the most part in company of heroes and I sometimes have difficulty to get a good map control early on in the game mainly againt USF. I would like to improve that aspect of my gameplay but I dont know how exactly. Should I get a early pak to counter potential light vehicules or should I try something else? With that early game pressure I often end up losing even though I managed to win in this one. Thanks for letting me know how to improve!
9 Jul 2017, 22:44 PM

Sadly Ostheer is one of the most underpowered factions atm, so it is one of the hardest to play, along with USF. USF specially seems to overwelm Ostheer because of the high micro dinamic play and the static ostheer based on heavy team weapon play. You should try G43s (lightning war commander) on close quarters combat maps, you can also try to get another MG and you should get 3/4 grens as mainline infantry. You can also get Panzergrenadiers and 222. Pak is good to deal with all sorts of vehicles, so you should always try to get one
9 Jul 2017, 23:08 PM

I see, but how do you deal against the stuart in that replay early on, considering I just spent my manpower on a sniper at the exact moment his tank arrived?
9 Jul 2017, 23:28 PM

First of all that map has some bad pathing and balance issues, so dont panic if you lose in that map as ostheer.

About the stuart, you shouldnt really go sniper at that point, you should predict a light vehicle between 5/6 min in the game, if you saw the captain and if he had control of his fuel you can predict that the stuart is coming. I recommend you to go Pak first next time, and a well placed teller could seal the deal too because if the stuart hits the mine it will die instantly. Also you shouldnt keep your mg always in the same spot, try to play more dynamic with it and try to place sandbags and barbed wire with your pios at the start while caping and deny green cover with barbed wire. The sniper was ok but i dont recommend going sniper or light vehicles on that map because there are some good flanking routes and the pathing in that map is terrible for vehicles. Also you need to work on your unit preservation, when you see that light vehicle coming just retreat unless you are sure that you are going to kill it, because in that case you lost a squad but also the bleed doesnt worth. Remember to put your units always behind cover, retreat them in time, not overextend and i think g43s work better vs riflemen

I recommend you to watch these videos to improve your general gameplay:

9 Jul 2017, 23:42 PM

Thanks a lot for all your feedback, indeed I got greedy with the stuart. The wiring and sanbags is something I often forget since only enginners can build them in the ostheer. I will try g43 against riflemens because they are better while moving but the g43 offset that a bit. Already knew tightrope and watched all his videos since they are very informative. I think I need to be more consisting with the games I play since I can play very good games and then I can get beat down pretty badly. As I said I do not have these problems with other factions apart from USF.
9 Jul 2017, 23:59 PM

Yeah Ostheer really struggles vs USF because of the static gameplay
10 Jul 2017, 00:25 AM

So I watched your replay.

Why did you give up. Did you not realise you had a superior army.

As Luciano already noted, your main mistake was sniper/pak timing.

Also a halftrack for reinforcements on this map is beneficial too..
10 Jul 2017, 03:57 AM

Thing is, I did not give up and I managed to win in the end :D. I was the ostheer player ^
10 Jul 2017, 05:43 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Kobal,

Yeah, any G43 Commander is good for Ostheer. On games where I'm up against USF or Soviets, especially on a map with little open ground or short sight lines, I'll use Lightning War.
There are at least two other G43 commanders, maybe more. Jaeger Infantry Doctrine is interesting, but everything costs munitions. And Elite Troops is a unique one, but the Tiger Ace really crushes your economy.

On every map Ostheer has a tough time. In the early game, you've got to win the first few engagements.
What I've learned is that you've got to look at a situation and decide, "will I win this or will I not?" and when you know that you won't, you've got to reposition units. Either retreat, soft retreat, or bring in new units to help. The most important thing 99% of the time is to not lose squads.

If you look at this replay I was very careful in the first 5-10 minutes about which engagements I took (this isn't the best example as I lost 6 Grens in 40 minutes) but I had to be very deliberate in what I built and where I positioned things. Ostheer is super micro intensive in the early and mid game. All factions are, of course, but it's very easy to find yourself base pinned by the USF for a few minor mistakes.
10 Jul 2017, 06:13 AM

Hey Kobal, was the tips from other community members enough for you or you still aren't satisfied with them and want a Strategist to take a look at your replay and review it.
10 Jul 2017, 14:28 PM

I am satisfy with the feedback that I received indeed.
10 Jul 2017, 14:30 PM

Kobal,

Yeah, any G43 Commander is good for Ostheer. On games where I'm up against USF or Soviets, especially on a map with little open ground or short sight lines, I'll use Lightning War.
There are at least two other G43 commanders, maybe more. Jaeger Infantry Doctrine is interesting, but everything costs munitions. And Elite Troops is a unique one, but the Tiger Ace really crushes your economy.

On every map Ostheer has a tough time. In the early game, you've got to win the first few engagements.
What I've learned is that you've got to look at a situation and decide, "will I win this or will I not?" and when you know that you won't, you've got to reposition units. Either retreat, soft retreat, or bring in new units to help. The most important thing 99% of the time is to not lose squads.

If you look at this replay I was very careful in the first 5-10 minutes about which engagements I took (this isn't the best example as I lost 6 Grens in 40 minutes) but I had to be very deliberate in what I built and where I positioned things. Ostheer is super micro intensive in the early and mid game. All factions are, of course, but it's very easy to find yourself base pinned by the USF for a few minor mistakes.

Yes it is true I find myself base locked vs USF in some rare occasions because of this. I will look at your replay when I come home to understand a bit more what you said. Thanks a lot!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★