Login

russian armor

Against typical USSR meta

18 Jun 2017, 13:51 PM

I wasn´t playing coh2 in the last month and now I´ve returned to it once again and I´ve encountered this problem - the new Soviet meta.

I always lose against any semi-decent Soviet player with penals-dushka-sherman_spam strategy no matter what I do.

Mines get sweeped away or his tanks just refuse to hit them (or they don´t even mind at the stage, when he gets 4 shermans)

HMG´s aren´t the way to go, early game they get burned by M3, later on dushka otufights them by a lot
Mortar is useless as well, thanks to the offensive penals, sniper is too risky against m3 and 6 man long range squads.

Also I need a hella lot squads to hold my ground and even make it to stage, where I can afford a tank. Like 3 grens and 2 pgrens. This huge mp bleed is even coupled with demos - it is almost impossible to not hit at least one demo every game, when enemy has nothing else to do with his munnition than planting more of them.

So I either get enough infantry to hold my ground against his masses or I get 2 paks to hold my ground against sherman spam but I cannot get both.

Also tiger isn´t reliable, shermans are firing really fast and you need tiger + 2 paks to hold against them, not even counting penals rushing with satchels and dushkas pinning everything around.

Dushka is pain in the ass as well, and I haven´t found anything reliable as a counter to it than stug e. Flanking is meh, because you get sniped with penals or supressed by second one once you perform the flank. Dushka can also reposition ridiculuosly fast with vet 1 and instapins everything it touches.

Is there any way how to counter this strategy as OSTHEER ? Any tips and review of my play will be welcome.
Please don´t forget to review my game as well as giving me viable strategy against this.

Cheers
Hector
18 Jun 2017, 18:09 PM

I have found but one and it isn't the best either. However, it can work and it is based on Aimstrong's 5 grenadier opening. I simply get 6 grens and keep them in pairs. The entire point is to get as much map as possible and acquire the most important garrisons.

Once the first dhsk shows up, you get a mortar. Then you go straight for STUG E and then get 2 pak 40s around the 8,5 cp mark. By the time you killed one or two shermans, you roll out the Tiger.

This is literally the only strategy that made me beat Lend Lease cheese multiple times. Very map dependent too, since for example crossroads won't really work with this, unless you get rid of the hedges if you are north spawn.

PS. If you equip 3 accuracy bulletins for the Ostheer turbo mortar, it will wipe dhsks very fast. Might be able to steal one or two.
18 Jun 2017, 21:00 PM
Strategist Badge

I will take on the mammoth task of teaching Hector.

/setlellow
18 Jun 2017, 21:28 PM
Senior Editor Badge

For what it's worth, if you check out

and

it seems like DevM thinks that a T1 to T4 rush is the best answer. Can't check how well that would have worked, though, because in both cases his opponents ultimately opted for a different strategy, but I think he expected M4C spam...
18 Jun 2017, 22:01 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

For what it's worth, if you check out

and

it seems like DevM thinks that a T1 to T4 rush is the best answer. Can't check how well that would have worked, though, because in both cases his opponents ultimately opted for a different strategy, but I think he expected M4C spam...

Game 1 was not LendLease!
18 Jun 2017, 22:38 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Game 1 was not LendLease!

Yes, indeed, neither was.

That said, DevM claimed before the semis that he developed a strategy against what everybody expected VonIvan to play. And I guess DevM did the T1->T4 to counter the eventual M4Cs (which never came). Not sure why, given that VonIvan clearly didn't do Penals into DshKa, but he might have thought that Von might still go M4Cs and tried the throw of DevM by going Maxim's.

Speculating here, of course, but I feel this assumption is backed up by the second game, where Paul did actually start with the standard Penals into DshKas and DevM tried the same T1->T4, and given that Paul did not use any other Defensive Tactics features, he most likely did expect the M4Cs (which again didn't come).
21 Jun 2017, 02:02 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Siphon X speculations are on point :).

Truth is the soviet meta at the moment is really strong and you have to play your whole game tailored to the lend lease commander. So against lend lease my mindset is to delay any vehicle play by denying fuel with agressive grenadier play, this grenadier play is usually either supported by a MG and/or sniper, you want to try to bleed the opponent of manpower as much as possible too. A perfect scenario would be something like sniper->gren->gren->gren->gren->gren->bunker with heal(can also be done before the last gren if your grenadiers are all low HP its up to you)->fuel cache(depending on game situation might not be needed)->t4 into panther.

Obviously you wont have this scenario in most of your games so if a T-70 appears sooner than expect use the puma to counter it, if the soviet player is really good and really denies you the fuel and you see that the panther is a far fetched idea then you have to go down the undesirable path of relying in P4's and paks to counter m4cs which means t2-t3 play in which I would recommend 2 paks and 2 P4s as your main force (a PGren with shrecks might also be good depending on the number of m4cs out).

Against T34 play such as the game that paula had against me your best bet is t2-t3 play, that game in specific that Siphon talked about was mostly a misjudge by me on what paula would go for. While panther is good what you want vs T34 play is numbers vs numbers (2 P4s + 1 Pak > 1 Panther + pak vs 3 or more T34s).

Generally use your sniper to do all the work for you in terms of bleeding the soviet player, target penals for maximum bleed and use your sniper to dislodge dhsks that are in an annoying position. In some maps like faymonville you can make use of the mortar too to great effectiveness. If you are good enough you can also flank the dshks with grenadiers and try to get a rifle grenade off for a squad wipe into maybe a steal.

Ill be honest, if two players are equally skilled you will have to do more work than the soviet counter part to win the game since its harder for you to pull these things off, but hopefully this helped :).

EDIT: also fight for cut offs with the sniper/MG support, cut off play makes the soviet player have to fight your main force which means you get to bleed him and delay any teching, keep your eyes on the cps, once it reaches 2CPs you have to expect dhsks.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★