Login

russian armor

grenades

• This thread is locked
1 May 2017, 04:01 AM

World's most biased player here. I find pretty much everything in the game pretty damn good and balanced these days. But my gawd, why do the US grenades have to be so damn random, random and frequently ineffectual in comparison to axis. Asking as a totally biased player to players who aren't. Do the US grenades and to a lesser extent the mines feel annoyingly random to anyone else?

I know you have to chip away health before they are useful etc. And yes on occasion they are devastating, just the inconsistency. It may be in comparison to the bundle grenade that you have to be so bloody careful with, if you don't move BEFORE the timer sets of it'll take out a whole squad without fail. Maybe I'm more peeved with that thing, which seems infinitely better by comparison, the fuse on it is so damn quick.
1 May 2017, 05:05 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Grenades and mines can feel random at times because of the grenade placement as well as model placement and effective cover. You should compare the USF MK2 grenade to the UKF MK1 grenade. For the most part the 2 grenades are very near clones of each other aside from minor details that don't overall affect the performance of the grenade. If you want to compare other grenades compare bundles to UKF commandos light gammon bomb.
1 May 2017, 07:16 AM

The timing between the mk 2 and the bundle grenade are the same, but the animations are different.
Usf riflemen will step back and extend his arm behind him and then step foward and release.
The pgren will do a weird kneel at the start, step back and extend his arm, and throw while lunging forward.
The usf animation is a little easier to spot.
Pgrens are always kneeling which makes the grenade animation harder to spot.
1 May 2017, 07:20 AM

Imo grenades are too RNG. They should be less lethal and more difficult to dodge having an impact on the fight but not deciding the out of fight with squad wipes.

They should also be separated into defensive (fragmentation) that are better vs infantry out of cover and offensive (concussion) that are better vs cover and/or garrison.
1 May 2017, 09:57 AM

Only the gammon bomb isn´t random, it wipes every time lol.
1 May 2017, 10:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 May 2017, 07:20 AMVipper
Imo grenades are too RNG. They should be less lethal and more difficult to dodge having an impact on the fight but not deciding the out of fight with squad wipes.

They should also be separated into defensive (fragmentation) that are better vs infantry out of cover and offensive (concussion) that are better vs cover and/or garrison.

Don´t get me wrong, but grenades are one of few things that doesn´t have any RNG.

They always deal 80 damage (USF grenades), have fixed radius and deal 100% damage to squads in the open/yellow cover and 50% damage to squads in green cover/garrisons.

What matters is squad spacing. Grenade cannot wipe full health squad in green cover or any squad in the open with good health. Only clumped squads in yellow cover are vunurable to sqaudwipes. If you ar fighting against players, who use grenades - don´t use cover or micro properly or prepare to lose some squads.
1 May 2017, 11:45 AM
Donator 11

Hector is right there. Granades have a set AoE function that is 80 near and decreases with the distance from explosion. Absolutely no rng here. The 80 damage range is very small for most granades though, so the positioning of squad and granade is crucial.

Mind that the cover is directional in coh2 and granades thrown over green cover deal half the damage, but if the squad is in green cover and the granade was thrown from flanking position, it will deal full damage. I know this is very counter intuituve but relic tried to remove it once and without this the game was absolutely impossible to play, especially against rifle nades.
1 May 2017, 11:51 AM
Senior Referee Badge

it's damn good yeah
1 May 2017, 12:06 PM

it's damn good yeah

I loved your GCS games man. You are a hero!
1 May 2017, 14:59 PM
Senior Referee Badge

I loved your GCS games man. You are a hero!

<444>3
1 May 2017, 15:04 PM

Grenades are fine mostly except with the exception of Light Gammon and Bundled being able to nuke(read: demolish) entire wooden garrison with full health. You need to micro your units or die
1 May 2017, 15:12 PM
Donator 11

You need to micro your units or die

Oh really? :D Who would have thought.
2 May 2017, 01:30 AM

Oh really? :D Who would have thought.

The ability to nuke mg nests out of camo is pretty Opieop tho. That goes for falls too.
2 May 2017, 02:21 AM

Don´t get me wrong, but grenades are one of few things that doesn´t have any RNG.

Im not too sure, they must have some minute amount of scatter because the grenade doesn't always land where the grenade is targeted.
2 May 2017, 02:23 AM

Im not too sure, they must have some minute amount of scatter because the grenade doesn't always land where the grenade is targeted.

Probably some landmass deformity (craters, etc.) stopping them/making them go a bit further. Like how you can't throw grenades all the way through houses.
2 May 2017, 02:57 AM

I think at my level this is the thing that is bugging me, I said the wrong grenade in my original post - this thing http://www.stat.coh2.hu/weapon.php?filename=panzer_grenadier_bundled_stielgranate_mp. The amount of fully vetted up squads I lose to a single bloody gammon bomb grenade, which for it's potency and consistency at wiping entire full health squads seems to have a ridiculously short fuse. That is more what bugs me, and I guess it is just my skill level. But I have honest to zombie space jesus hit retreat more than a few times the very instant the timer starts and still lost an entire squad, it was worse before the patch with the bunching stuff, but I have still had it since. My issue is with the timer more than anything, I just can't react fast enough even when I am looking at the freaking engagement, I'm using hotkeys, literally see it thrown hit R and lose a whole squad.

So my issue is less with the randomness of the american grenades, but how craptacular they are in comparison.

2 May 2017, 12:54 PM

Lol no, if anything I think the Bundled and Gammon Bombs could use a slight reduction in power, also making the damn bombs stop making the flamer useless just because how ridiculous they are at killing houses outright. 45 muni to wreck an entire full health house seems BS to me.
2 May 2017, 15:42 PM

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Gammons or Bundle 'nades. 120 damage is just way too much when wooden garrisons get involved. IMO, they should have the normal 80 damage with a stronger AoE profile than other grenades instead.
2 May 2017, 18:54 PM
Donator 11

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Gammons or Bundle 'nades. 120 damage is just way too much when wooden garrisons get involved. IMO, they should have the normal 80 damage with a stronger AoE profile than other grenades instead.

Then they would do more wipes generally surely?
2 May 2017, 18:57 PM
Donator 11

Light gammon bomb needs a little longer timer. Standard gammon bomb and bundle nade are fine IMO, pretty easy to dodge.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight