Login

russian armor

[1v1] OKW (me) vs Soviet (VonAsten)

27 Apr 2017, 14:56 PM

My first game versus a top10 player.
Notes: im quiete happy with my early and midgame, also blessed with some rng (bugged satchel,sherman takedowns) and i know my micro flaws like loosing my mgs or squad wipes.

I just couldnt take the lategame pressure with lots of mgs and endless sherman spam, thats where i would like some tips on my build order and generel strategy. Maybe focus on the side with 2vps completly??

I would be happy if someone could give me some tips, especially on my lategame cause thats where i loose a lot of my games.

Angoville / ~1h! so double replay speed recommended

29 Apr 2017, 20:32 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Will be taking a look at this. Thoughts posted shortly.

/set yellow
29 Apr 2017, 22:39 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

My first game versus a top10 player.
Notes: im quiete happy with my early and midgame, also blessed with some rng (bugged satchel,sherman takedowns) and i know my micro flaws like loosing my mgs or squad wipes.

I just couldnt take the lategame pressure with lots of mgs and endless sherman spam, thats where i would like some tips on my build order and generel strategy. Maybe focus on the side with 2vps completly??

I would be happy if someone could give me some tips, especially on my lategame cause thats where i loose a lot of my games.

Angoville / ~1h! so double replay speed recommended

For playing OKW on Angoville, which OKW struggles on because of all the garrisons, you did very well. VonAsten seemed to be off his game but that doesn't take anything away from you as a player. As I'm sure you found out during the match, OKW has difficulty clearing right side garrisons which is the side you need to hold at least part of to win the match.

Things you did well:
  • Squad preservation
  • Maintaining presence on the right side

Squad preservation:
Did well for the majority of the game. Taking a lot of his squads and not often losing your own. Taking his squads many times this game was more of his mistakes though, and you cannot rely on your opponet making misplays inorder to win.

Maintaining presence on the right side:
Normally OKW gets pushed rather hard to the left because once your opponet claims garrisons, you cannot clear as effectivly as they can.

Things to improve on:
  • Mines
  • Supporting your army
  • Late game decisions

Mines:
This was your biggest fault and probably the reason you lost. You built no mines this game and that allowed your opponet to move freely without fear. Against spam strategies like M4C spam and T34 spam you need mines to stop pushes. If you have say 1 panther like you did, and your opponet has 3 M4C shermans and your opponet starts to move aggressivly to flank your panther and hit its rear armor, if 1 of his tanks hits a mine and your panther isn't crippled or low hp, your opponet will abandon his push immediatly. If he doesn't he risks losing the game at that very moment because, you've placed mines to possibly cripple his other tanks, you're supporting your panther with volks, you have raketens defending your panther and he just lost mobility on 1 of his tanks. 1 M4C sherman should never win a 1v1 against a panther, and 2 M4C shermans will lose against a supported panther. Through this scenario you can see how just 1 mine either crippled his push and now he needs to repair his tank which will take time OR wins you the game on the spot.

Additionally, if you see your opponet doesn't have a sweeper engineer (he didn't this game), you need to make him regret ever thinking he could get away with that. This applies for all factions as well, mines deliever suppression which can win you infantry engagments. Tellers, M6, and riegels will do major damage and heavily cripple vehicles. Demos will 1 shot squads of vetted infantry. Build mines when you float munitions.

Supporting your army:
As stated above about supporting your panther, a good supported army can take on any threat given you've had equal opportunities (equal resource income). Ensure your raketens have something supporting them to force away advancing infantry like a machine gun, and the raketens will force away any tanks that attempt to force away the MG. I saw multiple times this game where your panther was snared by a sticky satchel from penals. Satchels are very easy to kite as long as your tank isn't AFK. Always try and avoid snares by either forcing away the squad by means of killing its units, suppressing the squad or kiting it till it realizes it cannot chase while taking sustained losses. Support your army and you'll be able to defeat any opponet. Also don't forget to move your sweepers around with your army/armor. I saw you hit countless mines that game.

Late game decisions:
Few mistakes here, the biggest offenders I saw here was the choice to go command panther and then juggling from going to the left and right side. I don't see the need for another panther as you already had a vet 1 panther and 2 highly vetted raketens. You were trading evenly in infantry engagements so some additional AI would have been good. With these in mind the best choice would have been to go King Tiger as you could've moved completely to the right and held it, boosted your AI and AT power and then forced him to push into your overwhelming army. Because of the command panther choice you lacked AI power and had little possibilty for squad wipes.

Next you held the right south VP and then kept going left, every time you did though you either got pushed away immediatly by a DSHK and M4C or took the point for a brief time then lost it again. Try and limit your focus to taking the most impactful points. Left VP is no different than the right north VP, if you're having trouble dealing with DSHKs in buildings a well timed flank into flame /bundle grenade, continuous tank damage or an ISG can clear garrisons.

Overall:
You did really well early and midgame, but the lack of mines and with gradual losses you eventually just ran out of units to fend off your opponet. Always build mines every game, support your army with complementing units to cover other units weaknesses, and focus your scope to make the best overall decision when building units/taking points.

Hope this helped. If you have any questions, comments or concerns do not hesitate to ask.

/set green
1 May 2017, 23:25 PM

Thanks alot for the analysis :)

Mines are the main thing i try to improve at the moment. With 2 pios and a muni bank i had more than enough potential to spam them.
Didnt even realize he hadnt a sweeper.

With alot of mines i didnt need more AT to counter the M4C pushes, which was themain reason i got the CommandPanther. The King Tiger always feels so far off while fighting, you need to tech and invest alot of time and ressources.
The CommandPanther, on the other hand, need 2 clicks<444>_<444>

The army support bothers me, cause i usually can handle that better.
Hitting countless mines with 2 sweepers on the field:hansGG:

Interesting that VonAsten probably had his worst game of the day (his preservation is usually better), i had a good game for my conditions and still lost.
But lessons learned and thanks for the detailed review, very appreciated!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★