Login

russian armor

Matchmaking

25 Apr 2017, 09:24 AM

I'm ranked just inside the top 700 as Soviets and just got matched with the guy ranked 57 whermacht and 56 soviets. Needless to say it didn't go well. I also got demoted for it, how is this fair?
25 Apr 2017, 09:41 AM
Senior Editor Badge

It's not. You probably didn't loose a lot of ELO points, though.

On the other hand, a few games before that you got matched with a player that is rank 1856/lvl 5 WM and you won. That wasn't exactly fair either...

If you are playing right now, well, there are not that many people online at this time of day, so the matchmaking algorithm can only do so much. Also: more stuff to read.
25 Apr 2017, 09:42 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I'm ranked just inside the top 700 as Soviets and just got matched with the guy ranked 57 whermacht and 56 soviets. Needless to say it didn't go well. I also got demoted for it, how is this fair?

Usually when this happens there is not much of a player base at a time. Generally when games do matchmaking it goes:
Close distance, similar rank
Further distance, larger rank disparity
Far distance, any rank
Any possible distance, any rank.

Additionally, knowing unit performance vs x and y can really help even against higher rank players. Personally, I play really off meta ideas that pop into my head. Example, I have been trying out not building any riflemen and even avoid major tech unless necessary. I was able to get up to rank 14 USF, level 19, USF 3v3 with randoms until a string of losses based on my and teammate performances.

25 Apr 2017, 10:22 AM

That's fair enough I guess, but I'd have pretty much rather not played than play a guy who was probably good enough to have a go at qualifying for the GCS. I think the same guy beat DevM in one of his recent games. I suppose it's a good learning experience but it was an annihilation

Edit - That post you made on ranks was a very good read Siphon thanks for linking. Is the player base higher or lower now than it was when you wrote it?
25 Apr 2017, 10:36 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

That's fair enough I guess, but I'd have pretty much rather not played than play a guy who was probably good enough to have a go at qualifying for the GCS. I think the same guy beat DevM in one of his recent games. I suppose it's a good learning experience but it was an annihilation

There is a lot of sections, threads, and people that genuinely want and will help you to get better. I do not expect you or everyone to be the best player in the world. But not to mean offense, you may want to look into Dawn of War 3 that will release on the 27th, two days. Most of the CoH2 player base may or may not switch to that game.
25 Apr 2017, 10:40 AM

There is a lot of sections, threads, and people that genuinely want and will help you to get better. I do not expect you or everyone to be the best player in the world. But not to mean offense, you may want to look into Dawn of War 3 that will release on the 27th, two days. Most of the CoH2 player base may or may not switch to that game.

DoW isn't really for me, I much prefer the gameplay and the setting of CoH. I also really enjoy playing games at my own rank and genuinely do feel myself getting better, I have moved from around rank 900 Sovs to in the 600s over the space of a couple of weeks which isn't bad going. I played a lot of Coh 1 and only really started playing coh 2 properly a few weeks back so I'm still learning to an extent.

I just feel like if I'm going to be getting matched with players much better than me it's hard to get better if it's just a stomp.
25 Apr 2017, 15:05 PM

Last night I played a total of three games with around 2100 players online at the time. I switched between searching 2s,3s, and 4, for Brits and ostheer depending on who had the smaller percent searching. My I'm top 10 for ostheer in those game modes and top 20-100 for brits.

The first game I got paired with three players all rank 6000+ while my opponents were a rank 14 AT.

Second game I played as ostheer. Allies where both rank 2000+ while opponents where all less than 150.

Last game I played as Brits and a similar deal. Unfair teams so both my teammates left and I was alone with the AI.

Moral of the story: don't play ranked game with a low player made online unless you don't mind getting paired into such matches. Suck it up or playthrough busier times. It's just the way it is with the player base. I'm in the same time zone as relic UTC. Evenings suck for me since nobody is on when I am. Just the way it is.
25 Apr 2017, 15:30 PM

It's something you kinda have to get used to, the worst I've seen so far is me getting a rank 1500 teammate (I'm top 50 RT) against a top 20 arranged team. That match was pure suffering to play but that's the reality of random teams. The only thing you can do to prevent this is to play at hours on which more people are online
25 Apr 2017, 15:44 PM

If it makes you feel better I've suffered one-sided smackdowns at the hands of Jove, Luvnest, Paula, Momo, VonIvan, you name it at this point... and I'm nowhere near that level of player haha. You just have to make the best of the learning experience and realize that once you rank high enough thats going to happen occasionally because those players need someone to play against too.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★