Login

russian armor

Opinion on the "new" USF mortar?

13 Apr 2017, 15:05 PM

make usa mortar cost 20 mp less for balance
13 Apr 2017, 17:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Apr 2017, 08:25 AMEsxile
How do you feel the new USF mortar?

I played some USF games lately and I had the feeling it couldn't hit anything in all the games I did.
I had it quite close from a buidling and ask to fire at it and simply missed it half of the time. I mean it wasn't even able to touch a building at mid range and on vision.
I had it just behind my rifles and firing at volks/sturm standing on no cover/red cover on a road and it didn't kill/damage anything during all the fight.
I had it firing at garrisoned building and it simply never kill any model on the building. It took 3-4 barrages to get the squad half life inside.

Those are only examples, moments I saw in live being like "what are you doing fu.king mortar!!". I thought it could simply be bad luck but in fact, in a 10 games raw I didn't feel any moment the mortar performed well enough for the investment. I get it several time to vet3 indeed but it never had a critical impact, just doing some AOE damage randomly during the game lenght till vet3.

As opposed, I also played some Ostheer games and used the mortar and regularly kill 1-2 models per shell and some time almost all the squad.

I'll say "as usual" the Ostheer mortar performs well and it can't be bad luck if when I play Ostheer my mortar does well and when I play USF it doesn't...

I personally came to the conclusion the USF mortar became quite useless unless having some lucky moments, only good for smoke shell.
So I went back for the pak howi and get this impact a support weapon should deliver when you use it.

Now I know the USF mortar was overperforming before, I was playing intensively Ostheer during all that time but I have the impression it went from OP to useless...

Snap back to reality, OH there goes gravity, OH there's goes OP-shit

Not stupidly OP =/= useless. Welcome to balance.
13 Apr 2017, 17:53 PM

Just get another squad with that manpower and flank harder.
13 Apr 2017, 18:24 PM
Benefactor 392

Why does the USF need the mortar in the first place?
13 Apr 2017, 18:40 PM

Strategic diversity. Which would be an okay argument, if people realised that this can't be done by sacrificing strategic diversity of other factions (i.e. Ostheer), which in turn means that the mortar should be nothing but a smoke dispenser (which it now is). It offers an aggressive player the option to prioritise fuel and ammo over manpower, which works if your infantry play is top notch.

IMO, the American mortar should have a really low cooldown on the smoke barrage to solidify its role as a smoke dispenser. It was never supposed to be an offensive weapon (Riflemen are far too strong and versatile for that). Perhaps a range increase on the smoke barrage at vet0 could also be considered.
23 Apr 2017, 14:26 PM

I up my own topic, I have been testing the mortar as a smoke dealer and the result is quite the same, it is useless if your opponent has more than 1 hmgs.
Range too small, to slow to fire. And don't do anything else well. I'll be back to spam smoke nade.
23 Apr 2017, 14:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2017, 14:26 PMEsxile
I up my own topic, I have been testing the mortar as a smoke dealer and the result is quite the same, it is useless if your opponent has more than 1 hmgs.
Range too small, to slow to fire. And don't do anything else well. I'll be back to spam smoke nade.

I dont play so much USF, but I really like the new mortar. It requires lots of Micro since you have to move up and use manual barrage, but its very effective. I think thats how it should be. Only problem is that the other indirect fire options are still no-brainers that need no micro at all...
23 Apr 2017, 15:04 PM

You probably really like it cuz it doesn't do anything against you. Every time I see a USF mortar against or with me, the player lose.

On the mean time, USF is still completely shut down by 2/3xHMGs
23 Apr 2017, 23:29 PM

No idea, the team that really needed smoke and didn't get it was OKW. I just do not understand at all.

As for the new mortar. I was always used to using smoke grenades so I never really got into the habit of using the mortar for smoke barrage, I always just used normal barrage then shift move somewhere else; so largely in this way it hasn't changed that much for me.

But the few times I have wanted to use it for smoke I have timed it badly because it has been too far and had shorter range (slow learner much), so that is my fault I guess.

Do people skip unlocking nades for faster Captain and focus more on smoke from mortar? What is a good meta to go with?
Vaz
24 Apr 2017, 00:14 AM

I use grenades early and m8 for smoke later on
24 Apr 2017, 06:33 AM

Since I've used it I'm happy with it in terms of using a free smoke dispenser but I find it rather lacking against garrisons. USF is all about aggression and the mortar is more of a soft counter which takes quite awhile to do significant damage to garrisons. When playing as Wehrmacht against USF I find the mortar a mild annoyance to my HMG42 only really becoming a issue if my HMG42 was left in yellow cover or in the open. If they tech grenades it delays their tech and I win out through LMG42 Grenadiers and tech. Early game it simply doesn't have enough DPS to clear out garrisons in a reasonable amount of time. I would suggest a inveteracy 1 ability like incendiary barrage or WP barrage but that might be too much and could overlap the Pack Howitzer.
24 Apr 2017, 20:53 PM

I find the mortar useful as support to an MG. It punishes the pinned units pretty well. Once it gets Vet 2, the barrage comes into it's own and I used it for entrenched locations.

And I love the Scott. As someone else said, I'll get it before a Sherman or Jackson. It's great AI and you can kite it very successfully against the all too common volk-stg blobs.
25 Apr 2017, 01:19 AM

new US mortar is dogshit

i honestly don't know why the prepatch one was destroyed the way it was, it was literally IDENTICAL to the wehrmacht mortar that no one complains about
25 Apr 2017, 05:05 AM

new US mortar is dogshit

i honestly don't know why the prepatch one was destroyed the way it was, it was literally IDENTICAL to the wehrmacht mortar that no one complains about

It was several orders of magnitude better than the Ostheer mortar. Higher accuracy, bugged veterancy and 3 second reload.

Add to that that USF was never even supposed to have a mortar ( or heavy tank, for that matter ) and there you have your problem.
25 Apr 2017, 15:32 PM
Benefactor 392

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2017, 23:29 PMNano

Do people skip unlocking nades for faster Captain and focus more on smoke from mortar? What is a good meta to go with?

I'm more inclined to agree this is what is happening, i don't understand why you'd cripple yourself so hard going fast captain.
you don't need the fast captain really, a m20 will do you wonders, as well as the HMG.
Unless however you see a super fast luchs. but you don't need an AT gun for that, just a squad with zooks.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS