Login

russian armor

Pacific Based Maps

6 Apr 2017, 18:26 PM

is it possible to make them look good with the current tools in the world builder?

I made this real quick tester of peleliu Airfield but I cant tell if it looks like its on a pacific island. (Colour and Texture wise)

6 Apr 2017, 18:55 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Hey Shentypoo!

This looks like a good start to your Pacific theatre!

There are some obvious limitations with the World Builder at present, most notably in the lack of Pacific foliage (palm trees would make a lot of difference), but in all honesty, a lot of the splats/tiles can easily be manipulated to represent some other corner of the world besides Russia, Germany, France and Belgium.

This image is from a map I released recently of the Sicilian invasion, and even though the textures are very similar to many of the Russian maps, it's the lighting and atmosphere settings that make the difference!

Play to the World Builder's strengths and really emphasise the weather to get more out of the tools. You're on the right lines!

6 Apr 2017, 19:05 PM

Hey Shentypoo!

This looks like a good start to your Pacific theatre!

There are some obvious limitations with the World Builder at present, most notably in the lack of Pacific foliage (palm trees would make a lot of difference), but in all honesty, a lot of the splats/tiles can easily be manipulated to represent some other corner of the world besides Russia, Germany, France and Belgium.

This image is from a map I released recently of the Sicilian invasion, and even though the textures are very similar to many of the Russian maps, it's the lighting and atmosphere settings that make the difference!

Play to the World Builder's strengths and really emphasise the weather to get more out of the tools. You're on the right lines!

Thanks for the tips on this bacon! means a lot to get tips from such a professional map maker like your sen.!
7 Apr 2017, 01:43 AM

If it's sandy and muddy, it'll look like a Pacific Island.

Utilize dead and burned trees. Use the, I think it's called 'simple_grove' object around the borders of the map: it's mostly a green blob of shrubs. Focus on the play area being wrecked with the effects of warfare and I think you'll be able to get by without specifically tropical foliage.

Images from HBO The Pacific series for reference:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/a3/1c/ef/a31cefeb633c6e94083848bc2cf886cf.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTkxODc5NDczMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjA1OTM0Mw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1529,1000_AL_.jpg
7 Apr 2017, 13:12 PM

If it's sandy and muddy, it'll look like a Pacific Island.

Utilize dead and burned trees. Use the, I think it's called 'simple_grove' object around the borders of the map: it's mostly a green blob of shrubs. Focus on the play area being wrecked with the effects of warfare and I think you'll be able to get by without specifically tropical foliage.

Images from HBO The Pacific series for reference:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/a3/1c/ef/a31cefeb633c6e94083848bc2cf886cf.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTkxODc5NDczMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjA1OTM0Mw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1529,1000_AL_.jpg

Thank you zombi :)
7 Apr 2017, 13:28 PM
Senior Editor Badge

I guess you could recreate some of the islands that were just small enough to plonk down a make-shift airfield with some barracks. And although palms would definitely help, most of the vegetation there would have been dozed away anyways...

There are really nice sandy-beach textures and I guess a beach would already give it a nice feeling.

If you are looking at smaller islands, you can decide if it should be dark (basically black) sand like in one of the stills that Zombie posted which then would represent the volcanic sand (e.g. Iwo Jima). Or bright white if it is supposed to be one with a coral reef or lagoon (e.g. Midway).

7 Apr 2017, 15:15 PM

Made another little mock up lmk what you think!

7 Apr 2017, 17:27 PM

feel free to put your own screens in if you guys want all the help is well appreciated guys thanks
7 Apr 2017, 19:40 PM

Looks good! I always forget about the fern object. ;) That's probably your best bet for tropical looking foliage.

And I only just now noticed what looks like a bunker in there. :D That really fits the theme IMO. I wonder though how accessible it actually is, as in can it actually be garrisonned?
7 Apr 2017, 23:12 PM

Looks good! I always forget about the fern object. ;) That's probably your best bet for tropical looking foliage.

And I only just now noticed what looks like a bunker in there. :D That really fits the theme IMO. I wonder though how accessible it actually is, as in can it actually be garrisonned?

yea thanks man! at the moment the bunker is not able to be manned but it would be easy to make so it can!

at the moment its just trying to find a good place to base a map off, I was thinking along the lines of Peleliu airfield or Guadalcanal
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight