Login

russian armor

Ostheer G43s and MG42s beating me as US (1v1)

24 Mar 2017, 23:01 PM

Hi guys, I'm a pretty experienced player, but still terrible at the game. I don't play the US much but I want to learn how to properly defeat some tactics.

I'm having a lot of trouble with heavy MG usage and Grenadiers with G43s. The problem being that I can never advance safely because I don't know where they are. I have to sacrifice a squad each time I advance to smoke them with mortars, and then G43 Grenadiers usually manage to beat the rest of my infantry due to some being suppressed.

I make some HUGE mistakes this game in not capturing the fuel points, and lots of general micromanagement failures.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading.

25 Mar 2017, 14:51 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Will take a look at this. Thoughts posted shortly.
25 Mar 2017, 16:04 PM

Lets get some basic points out of the way 1st.

USF is naturally bad on Halbe. The reasons behind this are:
  • Long ranged map, USF backbone infantry are stronger at mid-close range.
  • Very open with limited cover

Early game: Both you and your opponet played very heavily into the early infantry game. 4 rifles with BARs and 4 grens with G43s and then support weapons respectivly. Zero light vehicles to a large suprise especially on Halbe, which is arguably the most light vehicle advantageous map in the pool.

Floating: You had resources in the bank and didn't build at times specifically in the fuel department. By the time you could have fielded a stuart you hadn't even started teching captain. This lowered your stuart effectivness window as well as lowering the shock impact of the stuart when it did arrive. If you do happen to float like that and can build the stuart immediatly after the captain is teched use your captain to "supervise" the captain tier building for a 300% production boost to get that stuart out faster.

No ambulance/G43s: This is the biggest mistake you made the entire game. No healing means your infantry die significantly quicker which lowers the DPS output of your squads. This no healing was amplified by the massive strips of red cover and most importantly the G43s. The G43 has a chance to crit models at or below 70% HP to instantly kill that model. EDIT: <- This information was proven false for all G43 upgrades and only applies to USF Pathfinders and OKW Jaeger Light Infantry. Credit: Old_Shatterhand With no healing his squads became significantly more effective than they already were. G43s are primarily used to advance on position since they can be fired on the move unlike LMG42s. This creates a naturally disadvantageous state for grens against BAR USF rifles because BARs are stronger the closer they are to the target more so than the G43s.

Doctrines: Airborne, Infantry, and Armor. All strong enough to be used but not considered powerful enough to be meta. Fortunatly his doctrine selection was not super meta either so it balanced out. However the difference between his doctrine and yours was he actually used his. I didn't see any sandbags built, m5 mines, or M1919s. M1919s would have been great on this long ranged map. I suggest using heavy calvary, tactical support, and armor for the full meta options as USF.

Map: Large arc MGs and long range squads are very powerful on Halbe. This natural advantage only aided your opponet. This could have been offset by a faster light vehicle.

Mortars: USF mortars are powerful but it is possible to utilize smoke to much. When you want to smoke an MG, it's best to only use 1 smoke barrage instead of both on the same MG. The optimal thing to do is smoke the MG and use the other mortar to barrage it.

Decrewed support teams: You had the opportunity just before the panther arrived to grab an Ostheer mortar and an MG42. The MG42 would have been invaluable to your composition as you didn't possess an HMG. Could've been used to lock down your fuel or fight mid etc. Also make sure if you don't want support teams to destroy them with AT guns or large caliber weapons. Your stuart would have worked but would've taken time.

Preemptive AT: You lacked any AT on a heavy light vehicle map. Your opponet didn't go for any 222s which is suprising but don't rely on your opponet mistakes or decisions to make your own mistakes. I'd say don't build the M1 57mm preemptivly only zook CPT and REs.

Control groups: I'm not sure if you use control groups but I saw a lot of blobbing and this resulted in mass suppression from MG42s. Try and space out more when moving to flank MGs. Control groups will aid you in micro even more and will allow for faster reaction times resulting in fewer losses and higher skill.

Late game: Could've teched for major and had a tank to deal with panther. Unsure why you surrendered if jacksons are an option. Never underestimate a jackson when micro'd heavily. The 10 range gap between the jackson and the panther is devastating when screened with infantry, especially when you have rifle nades. Don't underestitmate USF shermans. Not on par with the crushing power of the cromwell but those AP rounds have as good of pen as T34/85s. 40%-50% to pen forward armor of the panther and the HE are fantastic.

Overall: Your experience shows you're a very capable player, just need to focus on interactions between units should you know them and to not forget core concepts of every game. I.e healing, teching etc.

If you have any further questions, comments or concerns do not hesitate to ask.
25 Mar 2017, 18:28 PM

Control groups: I'm not sure if you use control groups but I saw a lot of blobbing and this resulted in mass suppression from MG42s. Try and space out more when moving to flank MGs. Control groups will aid you in micro even more and will allow for faster reaction times resulting in fewer losses and higher skill.

An individual control group for each infantry group? Could be a great help in moving without wasting mouse usage, thanks for the tip.

Could've teched for major and had a tank to deal with panther. Unsure why you surrendered if jacksons are an option

Main reason I surrendered was due to lack of fuel points, I thought I couldn't recover since my opponent had owned them for most the game and would likely have another vehicle to hold me down by the time I may have somewhat pushed back. Also the support weapons going back to my opponent made me feel like it would be extremely hard to retake positions.

This no healing was amplified by the massive strips of red cover and most importantly the G43s. The G43 has a chance to crit models at or below 70% HP to instantly kill that model

I didn't know about this mechanic. This is a great help in understanding how Grens have been beating so many of my squads recently.

M1919s would have been great on this long ranged map.

I think I underestimated them then, I thought that Grens were generally better at long range, and with G43s would be able to beat M1919s. What would you say is the ideal range for a G43? So I can avoid fighting them in that position.

Thank you for your time and tips, this has been very useful and I think I should be able to deal with G43s better.

25 Mar 2017, 19:21 PM

G43s are still ideal at long range, they just don't compete with LMGs at that range. The benefit of going G43s is to attack while moving/advancing. Perticularly useful against snipers in that regard. However you don't want to close distance against BAR rifles or charge through open ground against stationary LMGs cause you'll get destroyed. Don't get to attached to the double M1919s though. You won't be able to get 2 off the rack as of the 28th.
25 Mar 2017, 19:41 PM
Donator 22

The G43 has a chance to crit models at or below 70% HP to instantly kill that model.

I think you are mixing some points up here. The G43 on grens has no chance to crit models below 70%. That's only the G43 on Jäger Light Infantry, the same crit thing applies for Pathfinders. But G43 on grens is just a buff to mid-close damage and moving accuracy.
25 Mar 2017, 21:15 PM

I think you are mixing some points up here. The G43 on grens has no chance to crit models below 70%. That's only the G43 on Jäger Light Infantry, the same crit thing applies for Pathfinders. But G43 on grens is just a buff to mid-close damage and moving accuracy.

Hmm really? They seem far less effective in my head now. If I'm not mistaken the fusiliers have the crit as well.
25 Mar 2017, 21:27 PM

25 Mar 2017, 21:41 PM
Donator 22

Hmm really? They seem far less effective in my head now. If I'm not mistaken the fusiliers have the crit as well.

I am quite certain that they don´t have it either.
26 Mar 2017, 04:23 AM
Senior Editor Badge

I am quite certain that they don´t have it either.

Yeah, the only squads that have crit %chances w/ health are Pathfinders and Jäger Light Inf. Jäger infantry actually have the crit chance at a higher HP value meaning they're even potentially dangerous.

Of course, that could be wrong if Relic patched it some time ago and I overlooked it. The crit chance does not apply to I&R Pathfinders though.

The main reason why G43 is so good is because of high moving accuracy (it's .7-.8 --not sure which -- vs the standard .5) and high rate of fire. It's a poor man's Panzergren squad w/ faust.
26 Mar 2017, 18:10 PM

Wow, learning that about the G43 has gotten me a bit more scared of them. I think generally almost dead squads were definitely damaging me.
29 Mar 2017, 20:58 PM

Would Pathfinders or Paratroopers with LMG's be effective on Halbe if you go Airborne? This would also give you the P47's and drop in anti-tank guns to help deal with vehicles.
29 Mar 2017, 22:36 PM

Would Pathfinders or Paratroopers with LMG's be effective on Halbe if you go Airborne? This would also give you the P47's and drop in anti-tank guns to help deal with vehicles.
Yes they would be. Especially since now with the patch you cannot double equip rifles with LMGs off the racks so airborne looks much stronger indirectly because of those nerfs.
29 Mar 2017, 22:46 PM

learnt a lot reading this. Cheers
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 5
unknown 8

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %