Login

russian armor

*To all modders* Migrating mods to post-WBP

29 Mar 2017, 23:47 PM
Donator 11

can somebody link me some example of conflicting xml? I'm no modder by any means but I think that thanks to SneakEye post it should be easy enough to edit an xml the way you guys want it in a simple python script.
30 Mar 2017, 00:51 AM

For some reason, whenever an aef building is destroyed, the game crashes. So I tried changing the IDs, but now the game crashes as soon as it loads right at the start of the actual game (if there are any AEF players). Is this related?
30 Mar 2017, 02:15 AM
Modmaker Badge

Personally I dont have problems with AEF main buildings. Maybe yes but for me is working fine.
30 Mar 2017, 04:25 AM

Strangely... it seems like it's AI related... If there are AI playing AEF then it crashes. Else, it's fine.
30 Mar 2017, 05:58 AM

@ferwiner

I am not an expert modder and even less of a scripter/coder (so excuse my ignorance), but I can try to describe what a conflicting ID looks like and what I've been doing to solve it. Within the many .xml files in the mod directory there is a line:

<uniqueid name="pbgid" value="1073741918" />

Every new "thing" (whether it be a unit, weapon, ability, anything) is created then it is given a new unique id. If something is copied with the intention of replacing an original vanilla coh2 "thing", this is copied.

However, my guess of what happened in the last patch is a bunch of new "things" were created where the vanilla files added new ids that modders have already been using.

It seems that the IDs are up a the 1,000,000,000 (billions) and just adding another digit (ten billions) isn't enough of a fix. What I've been doing is changing the billions digit with a 2, so it is at 2 billion (I'm counting on the game not reaching two billion "things"). This kind of works as long as IDs are 10 digits, but it isn't always the case for every "thing". It ranges from 1 to 1billionsomething which some people might have.

Is this something maybe you'd be interested in creating a solution for? If not, maybe as a solution for Relic, is there a way to make it so newly modded creations get a different notation for IDs than the base game? That way in the future such a problem doesn't happen again.
30 Mar 2017, 07:32 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Mar 2017, 04:25 AMkwok
Strangely... it seems like it's AI related... If there are AI playing AEF then it crashes. Else, it's fine.

My mod crashes aswell. I think it's related to the AI script that has been changed in combination with tuning packs. Does someone have a backup of the original (before the WBP) ai_economy/complete/default.xml?
30 Mar 2017, 14:09 PM
Modmaker Badge

Hi Sneakeye:

Do you mean the previous ai_economy/complete/default.xml ?
I made full back up of my mod and I have my previous archive (not vanilla ones, my mod file)

Here is the link I hope it could help.
My previous back up file of the ai_economy

For me mod is working fine maybe this could give you a clue.

Regards
Olhausen
30 Mar 2017, 14:42 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Here is the link I hope it could help.
My previous back up file of the ai_economy

Thanks,
I've never edited that file and I found an old version of that file which had:
<list name="player_upgrades">

I noticed that's empty in the current file, but now I see you haven't used that list either. So I will search for other changes. I didn't have the chance to test much, but I get many comments on my mod-page of crashes after ±3 min. It seems not factions-related so I thought it could be the AI. Apparently I use something which is changed in the WBP-update in a way that is not ment to be...
30 Mar 2017, 22:34 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Mar 2017, 05:58 AMkwok
@ferwiner

I am not an expert modder and even less of a scripter/coder (so excuse my ignorance), but I can try to describe what a conflicting ID looks like and what I've been doing to solve it. Within the many .xml files in the mod directory there is a line:

<uniqueid name="pbgid" value="1073741918" />

Every new "thing" (whether it be a unit, weapon, ability, anything) is created then it is given a new unique id. If something is copied with the intention of replacing an original vanilla coh2 "thing", this is copied.

However, my guess of what happened in the last patch is a bunch of new "things" were created where the vanilla files added new ids that modders have already been using.

It seems that the IDs are up a the 1,000,000,000 (billions) and just adding another digit (ten billions) isn't enough of a fix. What I've been doing is changing the billions digit with a 2, so it is at 2 billion (I'm counting on the game not reaching two billion "things"). This kind of works as long as IDs are 10 digits, but it isn't always the case for every "thing". It ranges from 1 to 1billionsomething which some people might have.

Is this something maybe you'd be interested in creating a solution for? If not, maybe as a solution for Relic, is there a way to make it so newly modded creations get a different notation for IDs than the base game? That way in the future such a problem doesn't happen again.

The reason why adding another digit won't work is quite simple - these numbers are most likely being read as signed 32-bit integers and these range up to 2,147,483,648. Or unsigned but then the limit is only twice that.

As far as I understand the problem the solution that would work in the way mod builder expects it would be to find the highest number of all uniqueid elements in the file and the highest number of the ones supplied by SneakEye, then take the bigger one.

Next, it would be enough to find all uniqueid elements that have numbers equal to the ones on SneakEye list and replace them with succeding numbers starting from the one calculated before + 1.

If so, then this is a very simple programming task and I'm sure can do it in some of my free time. The thing is though that I need to test it before giving it to you guys. For that I need a conflicting script from some really big mod, or even more than one mod, to make sure I know the structure of these files well and so there won't be any corner cases I won't spot. The one supplied by Olhausen is not good for that purpose becouse it uses only a single uniqueid tag.

Btw If you want it done, please use the reply button when replying to me, otherwise I don't get the notification and may forget about the thread.

EDIT: looks like relic just released a hotfix for your problems. So I'm probably not needed here any more :)
30 Mar 2017, 22:50 PM

Relic just released a hotfix for the tools (and the game for the IDs) some 5 minutes ago. Can anybody verify whether the hotfix fixed the issues?
31 Mar 2017, 02:11 AM

No problems yet! Thanks for the update!
31 Mar 2017, 05:01 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Awesome, it fixed my bugsplat aswell!
Thanks!
31 Mar 2017, 23:03 PM
Modmaker Badge

Good to see relic solve the problem. Help is welcome ;)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★