Login

russian armor

Firefly

20 Jan 2017, 06:56 AM

I think I used this in like 2 games ever, and I was pretty impressed. I like to go comets for obvious reasons but I feel like in those really late game tank-spammy resource floating 4v4s I might want to throw some firelies in as well. General thoughts on firefly and on combining comets and firelies?
20 Jan 2017, 08:41 AM

Always get one, simple as that a vet 3 FF is no joke and it's tulips can turn engagements even against a KT.

Skip to 40:00 in this video: https://www.twitch.tv/tightropexilo/v/115545563 I dive my Comet at his KT and block its pathing whilst using the FF to pen the KT at max range mind you via its frontal armour.

Use the FF as a sniper, it needs a lot of babysitting though as its turret rotation is very slow.

I see a lot of people using it to snipe at infantry when there are no tank engagements going on, DON'T do that, not only is it ineffective, gives next to no exp it simply says "Here I am" so you can easily get caught off guard.

Build it, hide it and make sure its reveal is a surprise and you can almost guarantee a first engagement victory. Don't get it as your first tank though mind you, obviously if its 2v2+ then this 'rule' can be bent, but in 1v1's, you need at least a Cromwell out first to start bleeding your opponent and to eventually, get the block move off on tanks.

A lot of people say Churchill + FF is good and whilst the Churchill does soak a lot of damage, it gives a lot of vet, so unless you want to go against vet 3-5 tanks pretty quickly, I would avoid the Churchill route until it hopefully get an armour buff so its not so easily penetrated.

The comet compliments the FF really well and better than the Churchill currently as a result of its speed and armour, but don't expect the comet to stay as it is stat-wise for very long.
21 Jan 2017, 21:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2017, 08:41 AMLatch
Always get one, simple as that a vet 3 FF is no joke and it's tulips can turn engagements even against a KT.

Skip to 40:00 in this video: https://www.twitch.tv/tightropexilo/v/115545563 I dive my Comet at his KT and block its pathing whilst using the FF to pen the KT at max range mind you via its frontal armour.

Use the FF as a sniper, it needs a lot of babysitting though as its turret rotation is very slow.

I see a lot of people using it to snipe at infantry when there are no tank engagements going on, DON'T do that, not only is it ineffective, gives next to no exp it simply says "Here I am" so you can easily get caught off guard.

Build it, hide it and make sure its reveal is a surprise and you can almost guarantee a first engagement victory. Don't get it as your first tank though mind you, obviously if its 2v2+ then this 'rule' can be bent, but in 1v1's, you need at least a Cromwell out first to start bleeding your opponent and to eventually, get the block move off on tanks.

A lot of people say Churchill + FF is good and whilst the Churchill does soak a lot of damage, it gives a lot of vet, so unless you want to go against vet 3-5 tanks pretty quickly, I would avoid the Churchill route until it hopefully get an armour buff so its not so easily penetrated.

The comet compliments the FF really well and better than the Churchill currently as a result of its speed and armour, but don't expect the comet to stay as it is stat-wise for very long.

Wait so the firefly can snipe infantry? It's obviously a terrible idea because of the reload time and vulnerability, but it can semi-reliably hit enemy soldiers?
22 Jan 2017, 11:16 AM

Wait so the firefly can snipe infantry? It's obviously a terrible idea because of the reload time and vulnerability, but it can semi-reliably hit enemy soldiers?

Nope, not by a long shot but people still do it!
22 Jan 2017, 19:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2017, 11:16 AMLatch

Nope, not by a long shot but people still do it!

Huh probably just bad micro. What's your ideal tank ratio? Like 1 comet 1 firefly or what?
22 Jan 2017, 20:28 PM

Depends how the game is going, if I am winning, a fast Cromwell is a must, if I'm fighting OKW the next tank is a Firefly, if OST its either another Cromwell or a FF, then it will either be another Cromwell or tech and build a Comet.

2 x Comet/Cromwell
1 x Firefly

Is my usual tank army but that can be a lot of micro especially if you have several squads too.
V-T
23 Jan 2017, 11:12 AM

Firefly is serious threat even to heavier german tanks. Played against a few of them yesterday, and i had to abort my assaults multiple times. Their worst weakness is german schrecks, so i managed to retreat because my infantry was covering my panther.

I guess FF is the best tool to actually crack the KT or other heavy tanks.
23 Jan 2017, 15:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2017, 11:12 AMV-T
Firefly is serious threat even to heavier german tanks. Played against a few of them yesterday, and i had to abort my assaults multiple times. Their worst weakness is german schrecks, so i managed to retreat because my infantry was covering my panther.

I guess FF is the best tool to actually crack the KT or other heavy tanks.

Yeah I played a 4v4 on that one map where half is a city and half is a forest and we lost miserably to arty spam and pak43s but towards the end of the game I ended up with a comet and 2 fireflies and they absolutely rekt even though the enemy had pretty much all tanks and my teammates had I think between all of them a Jackson, a t34 and 2 su85s. I managed to hold them off our base with a land mattress for blobs and the comet and fireflies, which worked wonders even against 3 kts, some panthers, and a jp4. Lengthy post, but point is, firefly is really good.
V-T
24 Jan 2017, 06:42 AM

Hey, it's a 17pdr on tracks and with medium armor! I think it's slightly better than those open topped Tank Hunters, though this is just a preference.
24 Jan 2017, 09:56 AM

Firefly is awesome especially when you can bait slightly damaged axis tanks into their line of fire. Careful positioning can often mean the end of a p4 or even a Panther.

Be careful of StugIIIs, they can closely match your range and if they get off their critical shot you're dead before you can retreat. I have lost many to sneaky critical shots followed by a quick rush with a shreks.

Also, you don't usually need more than 1 usually especially if you carefully vet it up to vet 3. Vet 3 firefly is dangerous to ANY tank (apart from maybe jagdtiger - those things are scary)

Tank order is usually...

Cromwell, Firefly, Cromwell/Comet

25 Jan 2017, 06:58 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jan 2017, 09:56 AMNaia IX
Firefly is awesome especially when you can bait slightly damaged axis tanks into their line of fire. Careful positioning can often mean the end of a p4 or even a Panther.

Be careful of StugIIIs, they can closely match your range and if they get off their critical shot you're dead before you can retreat. I have lost many to sneaky critical shots followed by a quick rush with a shreks.

Also, you don't usually need more than 1 usually especially if you carefully vet it up to vet 3. Vet 3 firefly is dangerous to ANY tank (apart from maybe jagdtiger - those things are scary)

Tank order is usually...

Cromwell, Firefly, Cromwell/Comet

Firefly also seems to vet at sonic speed for whatever reason. Maybe it's because it can reliably pen pretty much any tank and I usually field them late game.
25 Jan 2017, 10:50 AM

I thought I'd just add this here as a note:

One trick to use with Fireflies to circumvent the slow turret traverse is to make the tank rotate and thus get that glorious "bwooosh" 17pdr to face its target quicker.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★