Login

russian armor

(6 - 8) The Hochwald Gap

13 Jan 2017, 11:04 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

(6 - 8) The Hochwald Gap

Steam (6 - 8) The Hochwald Gap

Changues:
The Battle of Hochwald Gap was almost as big as Normandy, but with three times the number of casualties. Hochwald was a heavily wooded redoubt with a wide road running through the middle. One of the largest tank battles ever fought is hardly ever mentioned in history texts, and the heroes are rarely given the notice they are due. Remaked to coh2 by community member 'Capiqua'.

Made from scratch with ideas of the real battle and classic The Hochwald Gap map

13 Jan 2017, 18:54 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Incidentially, yesterday I started to look into the worldbuilder and thinking about doing the Hochwald Gap as my first project (I lived about 6 km SW of it when I was a kid), so I'm interested to see your take on it (and yeah, I probably couldn't hope to create a map that plays or looks as good as one of yours, if I ever find time to do this at all...).

Tried to look at it, but for some reason it didn't work. I subscribed to it, it finished downloading but it doesn't show up in the 3v3 or 4v4 map list for custom matches. I probably did something wrong, but e.g. the workshop version of Rommel's Rüstungwerke Essen (v2) shows up...

Btw, there is no road going through the gap; the Hochwald is really just a gentle sloping, N-S running "hill" (well, more like a pile of sand and gravel) with woods on it (thus the name, "Hochwald" just means "high wood"); the "Gap" then are fields crossing the ridge in E-W direction.

14 Jan 2017, 10:00 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

I have read some stories of the battles, which does not describe the map.
As for the map I made it google earth; The river of the map is closer than in reality, the small channel that I have done has been to remember the classic map. The positions of the HQs I have determined with the classic map and google earth.

I would like the map to be more faithful to reality, but with the stuffs of the WB, I can not do everything that I would like.

If you can give some recommendations when you download and play I would be very grateful

14 Jan 2017, 10:09 AM

This brings back memories! Is the little bridge at the northern spawn exploit still there? I remember in CoH that you could drive a jeep or kubel up there and block it off, basically winning you the match.

Edit: nvm, can see that it isn't!
15 Jan 2017, 09:44 AM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2017, 10:00 AMcapiqua

I would like the map to be more faithful to reality, but with the stuffs of the WB, I can not do everything that I would like.

Ah, that explains a lot. Well, the actual "Hochwald Gap" is in the Western corner of your map:

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2017, 10:00 AMcapiqua

If you can give some recommendations when you download and play I would be very grateful

I will, once I manage to make it show up in my list... Is there anything I have to do other than subscribing to it.
15 Jan 2017, 20:55 PM

This brings back memories! Is the little bridge at the northern spawn exploit still there? I remember in CoH that you could drive a jeep or kubel up there and block it off, basically winning you the match.

Lol I remember doing that to troll people.
That or building tank traps on the main road while an MG watched over you... Good times
15 Jan 2017, 21:30 PM

Lol I remember doing that to troll people.
That or building tank traps on the main road while an MG watched over you... Good times

Another great exploit was the luftwaffe doctrine for PE and then get the flak38 and have the invisible kettenkrad spot for you lol.
18 Jan 2017, 09:58 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

There are several maps with the same name 'The Hochwald Gap', maybe delete them to avoid confusion

-Run coh2
-Modding Hub
-Tab Browse and search "hochwald"
-Subscribe
-Tab Manage
-Check button Refresh (place in top right)
-Place on the name of the map and press play
23 Jan 2017, 19:48 PM
Senior Editor Badge

The way through the modding hub worked liked a charm, thanks :)

So, regarding the map:

I played a few matches vs. AI. Seems like it plays well, I like that it seems wider than long, I'd like to see how that plays out against human opponents.

What I didn't like was that the capture circles for the sectors near the base are to some extent covered by the base MGs. And the weird construction with the ditch and the fences on the right... In one game I had the base in the Northwestern corner. Retreating East of the fence can cause squads to retreat around the mill where they get under fire from the southern base MGs.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★