Login

russian armor

Replacing laggy menu movies with good ones!

13 Jan 2017, 12:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2017, 00:51 AMCyanara

For the sake of my curiosity, can I ask your exact CPU, video card and motherboard models? Also, how much RAM do you have?

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII HERO
Graphics: GIGABYTE GTX 1080
Memory: 32GB Corsair Pro Black
13 Jan 2017, 13:20 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I tried encoding a 1-frame video @60fps WebM VP8 a while ago and I still got the annoying fps drops. I've had the videos disabled for a while now, perhaps I should give it another try.

I even notified Relic and asked if they could update COH2's internal WebM player to VP9. RelicCOH2.exe contains a hint that the internal version is still VP8;

Code
WebM Project VP8 Decoder (Deprecated API) v0.9.7-p1 WebM Project VP8 Decoder
13 Jan 2017, 14:55 PM

While this seems fun and all,won't it make so that people have to redownload the game with each update because of file integrity?
14 Jan 2017, 00:01 AM

I guess it's a compatibility issue, possibly some configurations run videos without acceleration. Maybe it's as simple as NVIDIA/AMD difference?

I did notice fairly significant GPU usage to play the menu, so you're probably onto something there. The FPS of the videos is also highly inconsistent. My example custom video always starts off very fast, and of course can be slowed down by many things.

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2017, 12:31 PMwuff

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII HERO
Graphics: GIGABYTE GTX 1080
Memory: 32GB Corsair Pro Black

Damn. Not much I can do to criticise that setup :p Must be a software config issue somewhere, I guess, but I couldn't really suggest where to look.

I tried encoding a 1-frame video @60fps WebM VP8 a while ago and I still got the annoying fps drops. I've had the videos disabled for a while now, perhaps I should give it another try.

I even notified Relic and asked if they could update COH2's internal WebM player to VP9. RelicCOH2.exe contains a hint that the internal version is still VP8;

Code
WebM Project VP8 Decoder (Deprecated API) v0.9.7-p1 WebM Project VP8 Decoder

Hmm. Is there any chance its performance could be influenced by what codecs a person has installed on their computer? ie VLC, K-lite. I can only assume that wuff's issue is related to software configuration, because there's no knocking that hardware.

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2017, 14:55 PMFino
While this seems fun and all,won't it make so that people have to redownload the game with each update because of file integrity?

Patch checks should theoretically only do integrity checks on files that are changed by the patch. I can let you know for sure once the next patch comes out. That said, since you only have to paste the name of the video file into the corresponding lua file, the worst case scenario is that a few tiny text files get replaced. Almost no download time, and minimal inconvenience to restore.
14 Jan 2017, 00:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2017, 14:55 PMFino

I've actually found this to be the case I think. I used to delete the videos outright and every time CoH2 patched it appeared to completely download the game and replace the installation. I haven't messed with any CoH2 setting for a while now and the last two patches, although very minor, haven't required clearing my SSD so CoH2 has the space to download.
14 Jan 2017, 00:45 AM

I've actually found this to be the case I think. I used to delete the videos outright and every time CoH2 patched it appeared to completely download the game and replace the installation.

Ok, that sounds like you have/had a much more serious problem on your hands. It definitely should only ever replace individual files that don't match the server versions. Anything else would be throwing money down the toilet on Valve's part.

The more likely issue for other people here is that the videos/lua files would get re-downloaded if deleted. It still shouldn't happen unless you verify your game cache in Steam, but it is possible.

If it does happen then I'd recommend using unique filenames on the custom videos so that they don't replace the originals. That way Steam ignores them (it doesn't see or care about extra files) and is happy that the originals are still there. Then copy the relevant customised lua files somewhere safe and simply paste them back in after the patch. It'd be about a 10 second job.
14 Jan 2017, 01:34 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2017, 00:45 AMCyanara

Ok, that sounds like you have/had a much more serious problem on your hands. It definitely should only ever replace individual files that don't match the server versions. Anything else would be throwing money down the toilet on Valve's part.

The more likely issue for other people here is that the videos/lua files would get re-downloaded if deleted. It still shouldn't happen unless you verify your game cache in Steam, but it is possible.

If it does happen then I'd recommend using unique filenames on the custom videos so that they don't replace the originals. That way Steam ignores them (it doesn't see or care about extra files) and is happy that the originals are still there. Then copy the relevant customised lua files somewhere safe and simply paste them back in after the patch. It'd be about a 10 second job.

It is quite a lot of work though. It would be much better if we just provided powershell or python script that does it after every cache check together with videos. So you could throw the script into the folder, get yourself a nice shortcut on the desktop and forget where your installation is placed.

I just speculate as I'm no steam expert, but maybe there also is some way to run a predefined script every time the game starts? It could check your files configuration, run AHK and so on, so that you could press only one button.
14 Jan 2017, 18:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2017, 09:33 AMCyanara

Pics should be fine, as long as you can find a way to convert them into WebM videos first. In fact, if you can make them fade into each other, it would probably look very nice.

Unless a patch changes the videos, or you verify your game cache in Steam, the changes will be stable.

I create an slide show with powerpoint (with fade effect) and export it as a video file (mp4) and then convert mp4 to webm (VP8) with Pazera WebM Converter, result is good.
24 Apr 2020, 02:23 AM

Anybody know of any current WebM converters that work? I never wrote down what I used, and Pazera WebM Converter just gives me an error straight away.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight