Login

russian armor

Ostheer objectives

5 Nov 2016, 09:01 AM

Hello there. I'm getting my grip on the early game skirmishes but I've problems getting into the teching paths. There must be some kind of blueprint that I can use as a reference to move out of tier1

What I got for now it's this:

My objective in the early game is to force the enemy to retreat from the most valuable area of the map, thus making my oponent waste time that he could use to cap the rest of the map.

From there, as far as I know, the main path for the ostheer its go for 2x222s. And a Pak...I don't like paks as I can't position them right and they always end up packing and setting up trying to get enemy vehicles within their cone. I don't know what to do in tier2. Harass enemy supply lines to delay tanks?

I'm totally clueless about tier3 and 4. I just go for stugs as I find Panzer IVs not really that effective.

5 Nov 2016, 09:32 AM

I recommend you after initial engangements tech t2 and get 2x222 as you have already said. Then you need to prepare to his light tank while keeping pressure with 222s.

Thats why you have to go pak and 1-2 tellers on main roads so you can defend against those lights.

Afterwards I recommend 1 panzergrenadier before teching, they are really great unit if you keep them at long range (their DPS at long is as lmg grens, and at close is much higher so even if enemy units charge, they lose). Never close with them, they are squishy.

You can always upgrade them with schrecks if your´re unable to hold your ground against vehicles.

Then I recommend going t3 and p4 - its really good medium tank if you don´t get cocky with him. Or if youre winning you can seal the deal with oswind.

Later on I would stall for tiger and try to win game with double paks tiger and maybe p4.

This is only build without any meta commader. You can always go mobile def and get 2 ostruppen instaed of pak and then call in panic puma followed by commad panzer 4(against infantry) and pak (against tanks),

Lategame go panther spam with brumbaaar.

Or you can go stug e commader, stall mid game with 2 paks and 444 while waiting for 2x stug e, then put some pressure (cautiosly because ostheer cannot make mistakes) and in the end of the day finish him with tiger.

Just don´t do assgrens or 251 halftrack with pgrens call in, they are both shitty
5 Nov 2016, 12:55 PM

I recommend you after initial engangements tech t2 and get 2x222 as you have already said. Then you need to prepare to his light tank while keeping pressure with 222s.

Thats why you have to go pak and 1-2 tellers on main roads so you can defend against those lights.

Afterwards I recommend 1 panzergrenadier before teching, they are really great unit if you keep them at long range (their DPS at long is as lmg grens, and at close is much higher so even if enemy units charge, they lose). Never close with them, they are squishy.

You can always upgrade them with schrecks if your´re unable to hold your ground against vehicles.

Then I recommend going t3 and p4 - its really good medium tank if you don´t get cocky with him. Or if youre winning you can seal the deal with oswind.

Later on I would stall for tiger and try to win game with double paks tiger and maybe p4.

This is only build without any meta commader. You can always go mobile def and get 2 ostruppen instaed of pak and then call in panic puma followed by commad panzer 4(against infantry) and pak (against tanks),

Lategame go panther spam with brumbaaar.

Or you can go stug e commader, stall mid game with 2 paks and 444 while waiting for 2x stug e, then put some pressure (cautiosly because ostheer cannot make mistakes) and in the end of the day finish him with tiger.

Just don´t do assgrens or 251 halftrack with pgrens call in, they are both shitty

+1

as a main usf player, i can tell you that 2 x 222 well used are a huge pain in the ass, even a bit after i got stuart but never try to chase retreating squads with only one 222 or you might get wrecked by stuart stun & AT gun or even AT grenade.
5 Nov 2016, 19:10 PM

Thanks!

I'm gonna try this.

I need to improve my micro with the 222, I can't make them last long enough to be effective beyond the early scare.
5 Nov 2016, 19:51 PM

I recommend 3 x 222s at least comrade :snfBarton:
6 Nov 2016, 09:45 AM

Well placed teller mines give you flexibility in your build order as ostheer. Early snipers + teller mines support each other well and relieve you of some of the gaps missing in ostheer's early game. T2 wehr might seem like it makes wehr's tech tree ambiguous, but each unit has a specific role so in that respect it's meant to be adjustable to what your opponent's doing. (Example: if you see guards when against SU, getting double ACs wouldn't work so well. Instead get a pgren or halftrack for reinforcing for the inf heavy battles).

Also you're gonna feel towards the mid and late game that, even though you're in T3-T4, you will want to build more T1. You'll want another engineer for repairing tanks, an mg to control more space, to counter mortar spam with your own, etc. No problem with back techs so just don't feel like you've "transitioned out" of T1. There's no such thing.

Your "objective" though is to stay within combined arms distance while harassing where you can. Your units aren't well-rounded, they have roles in what they're good against so they need to interlock and adjust to what's coming. Imo the micro might be less with wehr but units need to be supervised more, meaning your camera micro needs to be better to monitor flanks and grenades. Munitions win games and do not lose units. Hope this helps.
8 Nov 2016, 05:49 AM

Thanks for the help!

Any tips on mine placement and mortar usage?

I've managed, through some sneaky plays to get full squad wipes using the tellers in the retreat path and I use the smoke shells to block vision and split enemy units.

Against which factions or playstyles are mortars the most usefull? I still don't find it mandatory but it's really usefull in the early game because it obliterates "green" infantry. As the infantry squads level up it seems to be less efective (rookies tend to get whiped by a single shell and the splash damage, but veterans can only die from a direct hit), but hey, every MP point the enemy is using to reinforce the less he's using to build vehicles

I can't wait to finish my exams to try some stuff
8 Nov 2016, 07:15 AM

Placing tellers is gonna be different than regular mines. By default imo the first one should be placed defensively. The wandering engineer squad going around harassing your points shouldn't happen to find it on accident if your opponent upgrades sweepers early. It should be a little behind your army where you can defend it, where a vehicle might come from and an engineer won't go. An early sniper or mortar halftrack is bait though for light armor to dive on, so use it as an advantage if you want to skip buying a Pak early on. Imo I think bren carriers are not worth a teller unless it's upgraded. But if you do get the kill on a AEC/Stuart early I would immediately get a fuel cache after and get T3. He has to decide whether he wants to rebuild light armor or wait awhile for medium armor, either way you'll have him countered for a bit in theory. He'll probably get an AT gun meanwhile, but you already have the best counters of a sniper or mortar ht incendiary for it.

That would be my strat if I wanted to be ballsy for a stronger infantry game. Paks get more useful late game though imo cause if you don't have a doctrinal tank wehr's medium armor is inconsistent. With this strat I'd probably go stug spam with spearhead doc
25 Nov 2016, 04:27 AM

Another question.

Current Ostheer meta it's to build 2 222, then Pak. What about the halftrack? I find it increadibly usefull in long engagements with enemy units thanks to being able to reinforce my units.

Also I find the halftrack AI compleatly retarded as it rushes enemy infantry instead of firing at max range (and thus both reinforce and add to the overall DPS)
25 Nov 2016, 10:45 AM

AI is retarded, whatever the difficulty.

i think you got more than enough information with hector post, but i suggest you to check that :

https://www.coh2.org/topic/57707/usf-meta-counter

very interesting video.

however, the halftrack might sound like a good idea but it is not ! (unless you got osttrupen).
you already bleed like crazy against usf, if you reinforce your squad from halftrack -> no heal -> bleed more.

imo, use it against maxim spammer and/or with osttrupen (which don't need heal) but otherwise it's garbage.
25 Nov 2016, 17:09 PM

Am not talking about the AI opponents, I'm talking about the Halftrack Unit AI.

I readed that post yesterday and I was using the sniper against penal spam. Looks like the german sniper it's the equalizator. Picking out models out of enemy squads gives your grens a much needed breathing room.
28 Nov 2016, 01:37 AM

Halftracks require more micro. It's not necessarily they are better or worse. The AI on a stock HT is similar to the AI on a Flak HT for OKW. You attack command and click the ground at the farthest range you want it to move. It's intentional to be this way so you can better select the positioning you want your halftrack to be in. The AI for upgraded flame halftracks is much better though in that it can attack more than 1 squad at a time while moving plus a good chance of wiping them in the chase. This with panzer tactician smokes gives it more staying power which relieves the biggest reason why people don't like getting one. And prior to upgrading flamethrowers they can be used for reinforcing on the fly staying idle behind a big cloud of smoke. Try one game replacing your 2nd 222 with a halftrack, 1-2x tellers, and upgrading to HT flamethrowers after your 1st medium armor. Mobile defense doc
29 Nov 2016, 06:23 AM

Another question.

How do I harass their resource points? My biggest problem it's that I get out caped really bad because I have to move my units togheter for them to be any use while allied infantry can fight on their own and, as they rely more on infantry than the ostheer, have more squads available to harass my points
16 Jan 2017, 14:20 PM

Another question.

How do I harass their resource points? My biggest problem it's that I get out caped really bad because I have to move my units togheter for them to be any use while allied infantry can fight on their own and, as they rely more on infantry than the ostheer, have more squads available to harass my points

Try to keep the pressure on with the 222s. As a mainly usf and Brit player, that or a fast luchs is mostly what keeps me from capping. If you have serious float, investing in another mg42 and shoving it in some building that covers a couple points or a really important one is a good idea too, because it'll take your opponent time and resources to dislodge it.
16 Jan 2017, 14:22 PM

I also like to try to force his attention somewhere (fuel point, vp, or cutoff) and just let my engineer squad run around with shift-click capture orders while all his units fight your units in one spot. This works with pretty much any faction.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★