Login

russian armor

Strafing Run / Calliope

18 Oct 2016, 20:41 PM

Does anyone feel like the strafing run is completely redundant. I'd happily see the calliope nerfed a bit to buff this ability. Back in good ol CoH 1 the pinning that thing did was really helpful against blobs. Right now it couldn't pin paper to a wall and does zero damage to boot. The best thing it does is drop some red smoke which the enemy might mistake for the Major's arty and force a retreat.

Would be nice if you had to use it in tandem with the calliope - maybe make calliope a bit weaker. SO you have to pin guys then callioperize them when they're stuck.
18 Oct 2016, 21:01 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Asking buffs for USF...MADNESS!!

Speaking seriously, the ability is either overpriced or undertuned. Although prior to touching it, i would see other commanders receiving some love AND/OR removing 1919 from this commander to make it less appealing in comparison to infantry.
18 Oct 2016, 21:18 PM

"I'd happily see the calliope nerfed a bit to buff this ability." I'm saying make it harder to use this commander. SO you actually have to save a bit of ammo up and use the strafing run to make the calliope effective. That's balancing, not buffing. Basically you just get a picture of an airplane with this commander. Would be nice if you had something slightly more effective earlier - in exchange for a weaker calliope later - not saying it'd be less effective. It would be better, but you'd have to time things better and save some ammo for the calliope to be truely effective against blobs.
18 Oct 2016, 21:23 PM

Does anyone feel like the strafing run is completely redundant. I'd happily see the calliope nerfed a bit to buff this ability. Back in good ol CoH 1 the pinning that thing did was really helpful against blobs. Right now it couldn't pin paper to a wall and does zero damage to boot. The best thing it does is drop some red smoke which the enemy might mistake for the Major's arty and force a retreat.

Would be nice if you had to use it in tandem with the calliope - maybe make calliope a bit weaker. SO you have to pin guys then callioperize them when they're stuck.

make the Calli a LOT weaker and you got a deal)

18 Oct 2016, 21:46 PM

make the Calli a LOT weaker and you got a deal)

I think it would be a lot more interesting. At the level I play at - pretty low. I chose calliope just as a counter to getting blobbed to death. It's a pretty boring way to counter boring blob play. I'd rather be forced to be more cunning and use that strafing run in clever ways to counter blobs, instead of just massing calliopes. Yeah nerf it.
18 Oct 2016, 22:33 PM

Thing is with the strafing run is that the actual area of effect is kind of small, especially compared to the whermacht pinning strafe which can easily pin in a wide area. The actual area in which the strafe does real damage is maybe only the size of like two grenades, so you actually have to be pretty precise with it. Really only worth using on MGs, since they can't dodge.

Not to mention the indicator is really misleading on where the ability even works. Most of the lethal damage is focused on a small spot at the end of the line.
18 Oct 2016, 22:35 PM

Asking buffs for USF...MADNESS!!

Speaking seriously, the ability is either overpriced or undertuned. Although prior to touching it, i would see other commanders receiving some love AND/OR removing 1919 from this commander to make it less appealing in comparison to infantry.

I know right.

But then only Infantry would have LMGs rack unlock, which is not good for diversity, you could literally replace the strafing run for any other USF commander ability and it would be more useful... Speaking of the weak ones here, of course, waste of munitions unless you are desperate to spread a blob or wipe a single mg in yellow cover.
18 Oct 2016, 22:37 PM

That's very good to know - So does it pin at all or is used more to deal damage. I have not seen a replay with it used effectively, and I certainly haven't been able to use it with any great result.

Not to mention the indicator is really misleading on where the ability even works. Most of the lethal damage is focused on a small spot at the end of the line.
18 Oct 2016, 22:47 PM

That's very good to know - So does it pin at all or is used more to deal damage. I have not seen a replay with it used effectively, and I certainly haven't been able to use it with any great result.

You are better saving those munitions and buying upgrades, BARs, smoke, grenades will serve you better.
19 Oct 2016, 00:06 AM

You are better saving those munitions and buying upgrades, BARs, smoke, grenades will serve you better.

So you'd agree the strafing run is not viable, more like a skin for your commander than a usable ability?
19 Oct 2016, 00:13 AM

So you'd agree the strafing run is not viable, more like a skin for your commander than a usable ability?

Yes!
Like I said earlier, you could replace this with stuff like Forward Obervers or Elite Vehicle Crews and nobody would notice, hell those might actually be useful once in awhile.
19 Oct 2016, 02:05 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

But then only Infantry would have LMGs rack unlock, which is not good for diversity,

On the contrary. Both EFA released their first 3 DLC commanders with just 1/2 abilities repeated (recon sweep, infiltration grenades n heavy fortifications). The strong point of Infantry was indirect fire with heavy rifleman support (mines/sandbags/1919). The appearance of Tactical support completely overshadow what was already a good viable commander.

This is a problem with several single strafe abilities. Best way to know the effects, it's just to download cheatcommand and do some test runs.
19 Oct 2016, 03:04 AM

Calliope isn't even that good, the whole commander is kinda meh right now.
19 Oct 2016, 03:05 AM

It shouldn't be buffed, CallOP commander needs at least one average ability to balance out its other 4 OP ones.
19 Oct 2016, 07:04 AM
Donator 22

the strafing run is viable for wiping a weapon teams
19 Oct 2016, 08:37 AM

the strafing run is viable for wiping a weapon teams

Great, a 150 ammo (I'm not sure how much it is really) weapon crew wiping machine, that you're not even sure it will do it's job since the enemy might just move them.
19 Oct 2016, 09:32 AM

Great, a 150 ammo (I'm not sure how much it is really) weapon crew wiping machine, that you're not even sure it will do it's job since the enemy might just move them.

Id hate to break it to you, but all arty is like that, its always a risk.

Well except for that one OP british combined armes one.
19 Oct 2016, 20:59 PM

Thing is with the strafing run is that the actual area of effect is kind of small, especially compared to the whermacht pinning strafe which can easily pin in a wide area. The actual area in which the strafe does real damage is maybe only the size of like two grenades, so you actually have to be pretty precise with it. Really only worth using on MGs, since they can't dodge.

This. The actual focal point is small. At least make it as big as the box you use to orient the strafe, like the Airborne strafe in CoH.

Also, get rid of the smoke indicator. The time smoke appears and strafe is too long, so at least make it a surprise to the enemy as where it'd going to strafe. Like the Stuka bombing, there's no indicator and you just hear the screaming plane.
19 Oct 2016, 21:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Oct 2016, 20:59 PMGhostTX

This. The actual focal point is small. At least make it as big as the box you use to orient the strafe, like the Airborne strafe in CoH.

Also, get rid of the smoke indicator. The time smoke appears and strafe is too long, so at least make it a surprise to the enemy as where it'd going to strafe. Like the Stuka bombing, there's no indicator and you just hear the screaming plane.

The screaming plane is some kind of warning on the Stuka though, so if the smoke is removed (which would be totally fine) a recon plane should start the whole thing off (flying quickly, it is meant as an announcement, not as an actual recon flight, quickly followed by the actually strafing plane to keep the offset low.
20 Oct 2016, 05:50 AM

i agree with u completly. unlike axis players they dont care if its weak they want a nerf somewhere to buff something that has no use... this straf alot of times dont pinn anything, nor do damage. it cost high munitions with no effects. for what it does price should be cut by half... i edited this cuz i dont agree with the cali nerf tho. it got nerfed losing alot of shells already and its really expensive
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★