Login

russian armor

Luftwaffe Ground Forces Faction Concept

28 Jul 2016, 20:19 PM

The Luftwaffe Ground Forces

This faction concept is based very roughly on the Luftwaffe “Herman Göring” Division that fought the Allies in Italy in 1943-44. This army offers the heaviest and most powerful support weapons in the game, a number of new vehicles, and a highly flexible tech tree that offers a choice between aggressive and defensive specializations.

Quick facts about this faction:

- Four tiers including the HQ
- Semi-linear teching
- Three levels of veterancy
- Eighteen units in the core army
- Three new infantry units
- Four support weapons never before featured in the Company of Heroes franchise
- Three vehicles never before featured in the Company of Heroes franchise
- Five vehicles returning from Company of Heroes 1

This faction begins the game with its most important unit, the Luftwaffe Field Offizier. Promoting the Luftwaffe Field Offizier to higher ranks unlocks higher-tier units and new abilities. Unlike with the American forces featured in CoH2, Luftwaffe Ground Forces players do not need to juggle three officer squads late in the game – they only need to take command of one.

The Luftwaffe Ground Forces also borrow a bit from CoH2’s British Forces. Like the British Forces, the Luftwaffe Ground Forces players are offered a choice between two tech specializations – in this case, Aggression and Defense. Each specialization unlocks four unique units, one in each tier, as well as a host of abilities designed to support different playstyles. Unlike with the British Forces, unlocking a specialization is free. Also unlike the British Forces, Luftwaffe Ground Forces players are welcome to change their specialization once they’ve made a selection. Changing the specialization, however, is not free, and players cannot have both specializations unlocked simultaneously.

Right now everything's still a bit rough and a lot of the details are very sketchy, but I think the concept works pretty well overall.

The Luftwaffe Field Offizier

The Luftwaffe Field Offizier is the starting unit of the Luftwaffe Ground Forces. Although protected by a number of bodyguards, the Field offizier is weak in combat. However, he has a number of useful abilities that make him an invaluable battlefield asset. “Promoting” the Luftwaffe Field Offizier to higher ranks gives him new abilities and unlocks higher-tier units.

Aggression Specialization Abilities:

Defensive Specialization Abilities:

Base Upgrades

Unlock Breda modello 30 Weapon Rack

Allows Luftwaffe Field Troop squads to pick up a pair of Italian Breda modello 30 light machine guns from the Headquarters.

Unlock Beretta modello 38 Weapon Rack

Allows Luftwaffe Field Troop squads to pick up five Italian Beretta modello 38 submachine guns from the Headquarters.

Unlock Model 39 Grenades

Allows Luftwaffe Field Troops to throw Model 39 hand grenades.

Leutnant Rank (HQ/Tier 0)

Luftwaffe Field Troops

Luftwaffe Field Troops are the core infantry unit of the Luftwaffe Ground Forces. A versatile five-man squad armed with Karabiner 98K rifles. This squad receives additional offensive and defensive boosts when stationed in cover. Can use base weapon racks to repossess a number of weapons previously employed by the Royal Italian Army.

12cm Granatwerfer 42

The 12cm Granatwerfer 42 is a heavy infantry mortar that offers greater range and a more powerful shell than most mortars currently featured in the game. Due to this weapon’s enormous weight, it cannot retreat from combat. Has a very low rate-of-fire.

BMW R75 Motorcycle

The classic BMW R75 motorcycle and MG42-equipped sidecar combination acts as a reconnaissance and harassment unit.

Aggression Specialization Units & Abilities

Defensive Specialization Units & Abilities

Hauptmann Rank (Tier 2)

10.5 cm Leichtgeschütz 42 Recoilless Gun

The 10.5 cm Leichtgeschütz 42 recoilless gun is effective against all armoured targets. Unlike more conventional anti-tank guns, this weapon provides very little protection for its crew, but compensates with a wider firing arc. Due to this weapon’s enormous weight, it cannot retreat from combat, although its low profile allows it to cloak when not moving. Somewhat comparable to the Raketenwerfer 43.

Fallschirm-Pioneers

Fallschirm-Pioneers are the Luftwaffe Ground Forces’ engineer unit. These guys are armed with powerful FG-42 rifles and receive additional offensive and defensive bonuses when stationed in cover. Can be upgraded with mine-sweepers. Comparable to Sturmpioneers.

Major Rank (Tier 3)

Panzer III Ausf. L

Though outclassed by Allied medium tanks like the Sherman and Cromwell, the Panzer III Ausf. L possesses reasonable firepower with its fast-firing 50mm KwK39 L/60 gun. Comparable to the Panzer IV but does less damage per-hit.

Aufklärungspanzer 38(t)

A relatively rare vehicle, the Aufklärungspanzer 38(t) mounts a 2cm KwK38 L/55 gun on a Panzer 38(t) chassis. This vehicle is effective against infantry. Comparable to the Luchs.

Oberst Rank (Tier 4)

StuH-42

Basically a StuG-III mounting a 10.5cm LeFH18 howitzer instead of the 7.5cm StuK40 gun. This vehicle is powerful against emplacements and infantry. Direct hits from its weapon can stun enemy vehicles. Comparable to the Brummbar but with less armour and health.

15cm Nebelwerfer 41

The infamous Nebelwerfer, or “fog thrower,” can devastate enemy positions with its six 15cm rockets. Comparable to the Land Mattress.

Commanders

Entrenchment Doctrine

Italian Assault Doctrine

Salvage Doctrine

Panzerjager Doctrine

Fallschirmjager Doctrine

Italian Infantry Doctrine

28 Jul 2016, 21:56 PM

Really good would totally buy
28 Jul 2016, 22:20 PM

Not enough Krupp steel.
28 Jul 2016, 22:36 PM

Great, more stuff for me to want that will never be in the game. :/
28 Jul 2016, 23:44 PM

This is gold. So many community ideas for new factions seem either obnoxiously overpowered or so complex as to be practically useless. This seems not to possess either flaw. Have you thought of any commanders that might complement this it?
29 Jul 2016, 00:09 AM

Not enough Krupp steel.

^

The only reason I play axis is for ze kruppstehl.
29 Jul 2016, 01:11 AM

^

The only reason I play axis is for ze kruppstehl.

Not enough Krupp steel.
Make sure you guys open all the spoiler boxes. These guys get a fair number of tanks.
29 Jul 2016, 01:38 AM

I really like this concept and idea, the only thing you need now is commanders. I'm thinking of a possible Tiger I commander with the Afrika Korps??
29 Jul 2016, 01:50 AM

I like it, a faction that (assuming here) relies heavily on off-maps/aircraft is a bit concerning but if the mod could rework the interaction between aircraft and AA units that could be a really good thing. The only thing that concerns me is FG42s on an engineer unit and a 3rd faction with the panther, perhaps instead a stock FJ unit in t3 or 4 (doesn't have to be the same as OKW squad).
29 Jul 2016, 02:41 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Dank stuff bro I like that
29 Jul 2016, 03:09 AM

luftwaffe got beaten by RAF in Battle of Britain they are useless, might as well add Romanians. I like ur effort though it seems legit.
29 Jul 2016, 09:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2016, 03:09 AMpugzii
luftwaffe got beaten by RAF in Battle of Britain they are useless, might as well add Romanians. I like ur effort though it seems legit.

Luftwaffe ground forces =/= luftwaffe at BoB.

Totally worthless post.
29 Jul 2016, 10:05 AM

Axis got beaten by Allies anyway, they are useless. Not sure why people keep adding losers in their game.

Please note this was meant as sarcasm.
29 Jul 2016, 13:47 PM

I like this idea quite a bit. Like the German army fighting in Italy. The only thing I would say is to not have the pz38(t) - most of these were being refitted to Marders/Hetzers at this time in the war. Perhaps a different recon unit instead?
29 Jul 2016, 13:50 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luftwaffe_Field_Division

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallschirmj%C3%A4ger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Fallschirm-Panzer_Division_Hermann_G%C3%B6ring

There aren't really any airplanes mentioned in this army - the Battle of Britain was an air war. Like you effort though, just gotta read more.

This army is similar to the German army fighting in Italy from 1943 - 1945 - which employed a lot of Luftwaffe troops.
29 Jul 2016, 14:37 PM

They are not Africa corps so for me NO

But concept is great, if you could change it to africa corps it would be gr8 ;)
29 Jul 2016, 14:46 PM
Patrion 14

YES. Someone else did pick up on this! I've brought this one up every now and then and it always seemed no-one was interested.

It's a perfect choice since it's historical enough as HG Div fought on all fronts, they had all the missing units in roster, the design concept is new for Axis and most important of all it's field blue. Not just another field grey German army. It all just makes too much sense.

I'd advocate having the 88 and Hornisse included, but those could be in commanders. Or how about Aggressive = Jagdpanther, Defensive = Flak 18? Sort of like PaK 43, but turns 360 and doesn't fire through terrain?
29 Jul 2016, 19:21 PM

They are not Africa corps so for me NO

But concept is great, if you could change it to africa corps it would be gr8 ;)

If you want Afika Korps, play Coh1 with the Blitzkrieg mod and the Afrika '43 addon. Afrika would be straight retarded for this game though.
29 Jul 2016, 19:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2016, 14:46 PMSappi
YES. Someone else did pick up on this! I've brought this one up every now and then and it always seemed no-one was interested.

It's a perfect choice since it's historical enough as HG Div fought on all fronts, they had all the missing units in roster, the design concept is new for Axis and most important of all it's field blue. Not just another field grey German army. It all just makes too much sense.

I'd advocate having the 88 and Hornisse included, but those could be in commanders. Or how about Aggressive = Jagdpanther, Defensive = Flak 18? Sort of like PaK 43, but turns 360 and doesn't fire through terrain?

I think they stopped using Feldblau pretty early on.
30 Jul 2016, 02:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2016, 13:47 PMSchmitz
I like this idea quite a bit. Like the German army fighting in Italy. The only thing I would say is to not have the pz38(t) - most of these were being refitted to Marders/Hetzers at this time in the war. Perhaps a different recon unit instead?
Yeah, I linked to the Panzer 38(t), but the vehicle I was actually referring to was this semi-obscure variant:

According to the Wiki, somewhere between fifty and seventy of these things were constructed in 1943-44.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★