Login

russian armor

Opinions on M8A1 Scott in new patch

4 Jul 2016, 19:39 PM

Hey, folks, I would like to hear your opinions on M8A1.

I haven't found any noticeable improvement on gun performance, but 400 HP is soooo much better.
I've tried to use it with Airbourne commander: camo'ed vetted Pathfinders with +5% sight range bulletin and this little thing together goes a long way.

But IMO it is still very cost ineffective. It is always good to have mobile smoke dispenser around though.

What's your story?

4 Jul 2016, 19:40 PM

Because it didn't really got any meaningful offensive improvements, biggest thing is HP boost, that alone can make light viable.
4 Jul 2016, 19:45 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Overshadowed by the mortar and generally at that point of the game, USF has similar tools that don't require such an investment for the AI department.
4 Jul 2016, 20:17 PM

Too little too late. But with those AOE buffs and HP addition it is well worth the price, if rushed.
4 Jul 2016, 20:24 PM

It's decent. Good if there is too much AT guns and other AT that you can't use shermans. Best used in pairs.

Even with the HP buff it's a pain to micro around. Kind of wish they would've just gave it more range to parallel other late game indirects, but it's still well balanced in it's own right.

Best strat for them is to go mechanized with double stuarts. Your opponent will buy AT guns and schreks but then you can retreat them and build dual M8s. His AT will be pretty much useless.
4 Jul 2016, 20:25 PM

Best strat for them is to go mechanized with double stuarts. Your opponent will buy AT guns and schreks but then you can retreat them and build dual M8s. His AT will be pretty much useless.

Hmmmm... gonna try it. Thanks for the insight!
4 Jul 2016, 22:09 PM
Patrion 14

2v2+,

i like it. one more AT hit is a huge relief on micro front and you don't have to go directly against INF since you can shoot over objects unlike shermdog. and if you do go head to head, i find the shell arc is very minor thus the shell travels really really fast. also long range barrage is nice, although not too powerful. + it can smoke farther than sherm i believe .

I usually go M8A1 if I have good zook blob (2-3 units) and not behind. but it definitely does not wipe like shermdogs do.
4 Jul 2016, 22:09 PM

I think its Meh at best, vets really slow.
Also did you guys notice the crew yells "man the mg" when they get fired at by infantry, did the m8a1 have a 50 cal upgrade?
4 Jul 2016, 23:01 PM

Also did you guys notice the crew yells "man the mg" when they get fired at by infantry, did the m8a1 have a 50 cal upgrade?

I'm pretty sure its just a generic light vehicle line for the USF.
4 Jul 2016, 23:15 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think its Meh at best, vets really slow.

Considering Yank WW2 vehicles had the likelihood of M2HBs like shit has flies, it might have much earlier in development.

I'm pretty sure its just a generic light vehicle line for the USF.

A distinct possibility, but I'm failing to think of another vehicle that shares the voice actor's lines with the M8A1's (unlike the OKW or Soviet weapon teams basically all using the same guy) which lends some credence to the line being vestigial.
4 Jul 2016, 23:32 PM

The M8 Greyhound has MG lines as well and can even be made possible to have an MG upgrade.
5 Jul 2016, 04:12 AM

I reckon the greyound should have a swappable .50cal gun. So the non used gun rail around the turret is there for a reason

I guess I'd be the only person still using this commander....
5 Jul 2016, 05:30 AM

I don't think the unit is worth it.
5 Jul 2016, 09:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Jul 2016, 05:30 AMUnited
I don't think the unit is worth it.

+1
5 Jul 2016, 10:09 AM

the m8a1 is actually overpowered but it's shadowed by the 81mm.

the AOE is too big for its rof, but no one is going to believe on my word alone.
5 Jul 2016, 13:49 PM

At that point in the game, either USF goes Priest or Callie for shock value, Scot costs way too many fuel for too little return. Sherman got good inf killing power + ok AT, Jackson is always needed, Scot is meh.
5 Jul 2016, 16:33 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Here's a tip for people saying it's not worth it, this goes with the Dozer and Brummbar as well, use attack ground to target concentrations of troops.

Furthermore, Scotts behind an AT/support weapon wall is hilarious considering the moment the enemy troops stop to have their full DPS, they'll get blasted away and bled dry while the Scott itself is pretty difficult to kill now if you're trying to dive it given it can take 3 shots from most units and can get smoke.
5 Jul 2016, 19:42 PM

Here's a tip for people saying it's not worth it, this goes with the Dozer and Brummbar as well, use attack ground to target concentrations of troops.

I've tried it and brought down 3 out of 4 grens model couple of times. Most of the time missed though.
Not sure if it is much different from simply autoattacking. Autoattack occasionally gets lucky shots too, but doesn't put extra strain on your already overburdened micro (and that little thing usually requires a lot!)
5 Jul 2016, 21:02 PM

here's an easier hint: buy two or three. they are cheap and easy to reach critical mass.
two at a minimal. three if you're feeling sadistic. don't bother with the sherman.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 42
unknown 10
Germany 9
unknown 3
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L