Login

russian armor

Early Game Harassment Theory Crafting

7 Jun 2016, 15:33 PM

I've been trying to make this strategy in my head work as Sov/USF but I can't. Generally I've been trying to avoid conflict in the first 3-4 minutes, and always be capping territory around the map annoying the enemy, until I tech up. I've been going early nades for smoke to harass without being damaged to preserve MP, popping out, killing a model, and going away until I have a good army.

What actually happens is I get forced into bad engagements, don't cap efficiently, and get wrekt.

So: as Sov/USF is this kind of passive harassment a viable strategy, or have I been wasting my time (and rank which has plummeted in the name of science :P)
7 Jun 2016, 15:36 PM

I guess the obvious question here is: what's this tactic supposed to achieve?
7 Jun 2016, 18:21 PM

I want to try and preserve a solid economy, and upgrade my units

This is like Martian level their crafting btw
9 Jun 2016, 02:17 AM

Passive harassment as you describe it is no good. True that you need to avoid bad engagements and MP bleed, but if you always avoid engagements you miss the chance to put bleed on the enemy. If you always flee your opponents aggressive moves he will be emboldened and take advantage of it by either pushing your fuel/cutoff (which you are now too spread to defend), or fortifying a dominant position on the map.

Against OH early game USF/SU is about trying to manufacture favourable engagements by capping key points and forcing your opponent to react and put himself in a bad position, which you then capitalise on with an aggressive flank.

OKW is a bit different, you do have to be a bit more careful. You still want to be seeking those favourable engagements (such as forcing away his SPs before initiating a close-range engagement), but also be willing to commit to a defence of your key points.
9 Jun 2016, 05:00 AM
Patrion 27

This kind of play is best when you see your opponent do something like a sniper opening for Ostheer. It's situational, but it can work well there.
9 Jun 2016, 06:29 AM

I don't think its really possible for USF or Soviets, but OKW can do a decent job with 2-3 Kubels harrying cutoffs and resources and using their long LoS to avoid conflict. I guess in theory you could force USF or Sovs to sit on cutoffs + fuel until they could tech counters and drastically reduce map presence on certain maps, but Brits and Sov T1 would crap on it.
9 Jun 2016, 06:34 AM

Early grenade and not being offensive is a first step to the defeat. 25 fuel wasted.

The question is what do you try to achieve with your economy? Building caches?
9 Jun 2016, 10:07 AM
Strategist Badge

maybe avoiding conflict in order to tech as quickly as possible might work, but once you got that tech and an m20 or Stuart you would need to engage hard. Trouble is axis probably benefit more from no engagements than sov/usf as they need time to get a decent force on the field.
9 Jun 2016, 11:20 AM

I see one problem.
If you avoid fight to save income, your enemy's income will also be on higher level since he does not bleed as well :P
9 Jun 2016, 11:24 AM

You don't want to avoid fights at stage of game when you have advantage.
10 Jun 2016, 00:23 AM

Nonetheless, harassing territory points is not that effective unless you're cutting them off from multiple points, or at least their fuel.

Resource points being both muni and fuel, without real strategic cutoff points kind of neuters that whole strategy without good cutoff.

Cutoffs are typically lacking in most maps because they can't have too many resources available either.
10 Jun 2016, 01:25 AM

I see this being effective against UKF actually, as Allies I started playing normally again but using Kubels/Pios against the Brits seems pretty good. My axis ranks are trash though so I'm not testing it out in representative matches.

I also see double kubel being good against future Soviet T1 openers until HMG is unlocked to stop the penals
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 69
unknown 21
United Kingdom 260
United States 10
Germany 1
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W