Login

russian armor

SHIFT ORDER PROBLEM

25 May 2016, 13:50 PM

Hello everyone, I apologize if this is the wrong place to place this thread.

I think there is a serious issue with shift order, especially with vehicles, if i compare with COH1.

Vehicles: You want to drive a circle around Church. So how to do it ? Easiest way; Show the path and click with your mouse while using SHIFT. Vehicles cannot drive a circle or follow specific path which you order. But in COH1 i could do it easily and vecihle would follow exactly the way how i ordered.

You want to go from Point A to B and than to C. To do this, you should use shift order. But sometimes tanks follow only A to C and missed Point B.

Is there any limitation with shift order ? i cannot order more than 2 steps ?

Units: Unit follows your order according to your shift order. There is no any major problem with it. But if you click so close to previous order, shift order is pretty useless.

Capping : no problem
Building order : no problem
25 May 2016, 13:59 PM

Unless you specifically order unit to go where it can't go, there shouldn't be any kind of problem, unless the shift wasn't actually held.
25 May 2016, 15:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 May 2016, 13:59 PMKatitof
Unless you specifically order unit to go where it can't go, there shouldn't be any kind of problem, unless the shift wasn't actually held.

To clarify, if there was some misunderstanding, there's a radius when dealing with shift orders where the unit registers the move as complete. This radius is fairly large, something like 10-20 range, so it results in imprecise actions upon orders. It's fucking retarded. As he says, it may try to go from A to C. I've complained about it before, but no way is it gonna get fixed at this stage in development.
25 May 2016, 16:19 PM

Yeah, pathing is pretty massed up.

I noticed this first once when I wanted to set up some sort of a 'patrol' between point A and B with one of my tanks. I shift-clicked A and B a few times, but the tank only drove like 70% of the distance between point A and B before turning around each time, never actually reaching point A or B.
25 May 2016, 16:57 PM

Shift ordering tanks has been broken since launch in this respect. Virtually all meaningful positioning and maneuvering during combat occurs well within that radius. I suspect this is one of the major culprits of vehicles randomly spinning their butts mid combat: because all the reverse orders were 'completed' (skipped) and the final order(s) take over.

Especially frustrating when trying to maneuver around a shotblocker and then retreat to base. (Tank instead just stops, turns toward base, drives off.)

It's such a huge radius, but I swear it varies to the momentum and acceleration of the vehicle.
25 May 2016, 17:39 PM

As far as I'm aware it has been broken since launch it doesn't work with vehicles just infantry/set up teams.

Vehicles just ignore the fact you have shift held and just accept new commands as if it was a new command and not queue'd
25 May 2016, 17:42 PM
Donator 11

It is frustrating at the beginning but at some point you realise that you're better off microing your precious vehicle on your own either way and you forget about it.
26 May 2016, 10:47 AM

Let me explain with my stunning drawing skills.

Red Line & Blue Arrow: how i order my tanks with Shift order. Because i want to flank behind the building at safe path.

Green Line & Green Arrow: On the other hand, my anarchists soldier did not follow my orders and headed to point E.

As you see, you better not try to even flank with your vehicles while using shift order. Because it sucks. You cannot do more than 2 Steps.

Probably shift order has some "radius limit" as well which i will never ever understand.
26 May 2016, 11:10 AM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post26 May 2016, 10:47 AMProCoh

Probably shift order has some "radius limit" as well which i will never ever understand.

Yeah, do rephrase the posts above: When you shift click it will go through the positions. However, it doesn't need to reach the exact point where you clicked, but instead considers that segment completed if it is closer than "x" meters from that point (which is the radius that is mentioned earlier).

If the path really looks like in your sketch, it seems to take the full path into account already when starting at A (otherwise the tank wouldn't deviate from the line to B directly). Either way, if the path is a circle segment, it will result in that circle having a smaller radius.

No idea why it is like that, I guess it solved some problem with pathfinding (maybe when ordering multiple tanks to follow a shift-click path simultaneously?).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★