Login

russian armor

How does moving accuracy works? I think I figured it out

21 May 2016, 20:16 PM

We all know that vehicles has worse accuracy on the move. German and soviet vehicles have 50% moving accuracy penalty while some of the american and british ones have only 25%. But how does penalty applies? Before I thought that doesn't apply only when vehicle is stationary, but I got a theory that it may stop applying right after you hit a stop button just like okw flak halftrack starts setting up before it stops completely if you hit the stop button.

I did some testing and this theory seems to be legit. In this video below I checked how many shots will t-70 land on the move without stopping and with stop micro (when you hit stop just before tank shoots and then continue moving). T-70 landed 11/30 hits without micro and 25/34 hits with stop micro.

There is the video
21 May 2016, 20:44 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

So then by these results, the logical way to kite with tanks firing single shells is to hit stop immediately just before shooting and then immediately move again. Well, no excuse to ever get hit by infantry AT ever again now!
22 May 2016, 03:07 AM

Hey, thanks! This is really useful. I would always over-micro my tanks to slowness, thinking complete stop was needed to gain accuracy.
22 May 2016, 06:41 AM

What about infantry?
22 May 2016, 07:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2016, 06:41 AMRappy
What about infantry?

Well, since infantry stops instantly and fires discordantly I can't imagine this information being helpful with infantry.
22 May 2016, 07:31 AM
Donator 11

I've been doing that since day 1 and a lot of competitive players too.

I want to add one thing to your experiment. In Angoville as you can see, there is height difference in the ground so T-70 miss some shots.
22 May 2016, 07:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2016, 07:31 AMjesulin

I want to add one thing to your experiment. In Angoville as you can see, there is height difference in the ground so T-70 miss some shots.

Have you stopped playing coh2 or something? You don't have any rankings anymore. Are you done with the game?
22 May 2016, 09:14 AM

Thats not really anything new, kite, stop(order, not actual stop), shoot, kite again is a thing since forever.

We even had a thread on that in the past already.
22 May 2016, 11:26 AM
Patrion 26

Great test, great work!
22 May 2016, 11:39 AM

That was nicely done!

Note, that there are two components when it comes to calculating your chance to hit.
- Accuracy (i.e., heat-seeking projectiles that will follow the target)
- Scatter (i.e., shots that miss that collide with objects; maybe even the original target itself)

Even when you are practically hugging a target, your shots can miss the accuracy roll. However, the scatter roll will guarantee that your projectile will collide with the target.

Accuracy is more important when your target is big (e.g., a tank). Scatter is more important when your target is small (e.g., infantry) and your base accuracy sucks (i.e., most tank weapons).

Moving affects both components (accuracy and scatter). However, stat.coh2.hu only shows the moving accuracy penalty. The scatter accuracy penalty for more tanks is "2" (thus, I suspect the area becomes 4x as big). However, some tanks have no scatter penalty. Notable examples are the T70 and the Easy8.

Thus:
- When you are chasing after tanks, it makes sense to tap "Stop" just before you fire the shot.
- When you are kiting infantry, it might make sense to "Stop" just before firing, (except for when you are using T70 or E8).
- When you are chasing after (retreating) infantry, it might make sense to ignore the "Stop" micro altogether and close the distance, anyway. You can't miss while hugging infantry!

PS: You can also use the "Stop"-dancing micro trick to eliminate for moving accuracy penalties on infantry, too.
22 May 2016, 13:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2016, 07:31 AMjesulin

I still can't understand why nobody complains about fixing the geometry making tanks/ATG completely miss their shots
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★