Login

russian armor

Uses for OKW Overwatch doctrine?

10 Apr 2016, 19:13 PM

As it happens, at the end of my first 1v1 game with OKW I got gifted the Overwatch commander, but I can't seem to find much info about it online. Is it any good for 1v1?
10 Apr 2016, 19:38 PM

10 Apr 2016, 19:52 PM

I love this commander, but I'm a whore for vision/map awareness.

10 Apr 2016, 21:02 PM

I saw this doctrine like, 3 times right after it launched. Never seen it since.

It's just not very good I'm afraid.

Goliaths are not that easy to use; they make a ton of noise so your opponent can often easily tell in which general area the Goliath is hiding

Point Flares are OK

Truck map hack is 'meh'; you'll usually know where the enemy is when they are close to your trucks anyway

For the fatherland is just a weird ability. Speed bonus would imply that you should use it offensively, but it only works in friendly sectors

The strafe.. I have not seen it in action yet so no comment
10 Apr 2016, 21:24 PM

I saw this doctrine like, 3 times right after it launched. Never seen it since.

It's just not very good I'm afraid.

Goliaths are not that easy to use
Point Flares are OK
Truck map hack is 'meh'; you'll usually know where the enemy is when they are close to your trucks anyway
For the fatherland is just a weird ability. Speed bonus would imply that you should use it offensively, but it only works in friendly sectors.
The strafe.. I have not seen it in action yet so no comment.

Agreed, the bombing run could be good if you can keep vision.
11 Apr 2016, 00:47 AM

Aerohank is basically right, it's a pretty meh doctrine overall. Just not high impact enough to be worth using if you are out to win. As for the strafe, I have used it and it's nothing special. Kinda comparable to the Stuka loiter for Ostheer, but a bit better. Seems to have a very hard time hitting anything that's moving.

That said, every now and then I take it out for maps like Semoskiy because the abundance of yellow cover means Goliaths can be sneaky, and getting cheap squadwipes on units in buildings is pretty damn fun.
Rum
11 Apr 2016, 19:10 PM

Only thing I have fun doing with it is using Goliaths like demo charges. Stealth them by some cover wait for the blob to move in and blam. Even then it's not spectacular. But it's the only way axis can get demos even if they are pseudo demos
11 Apr 2016, 19:42 PM

I used Overwatch for a while in 2vs2 - the point flares have nice synergy if you have multiple ISGs that can cover a lot of map (or just for spotting for your teammates in general). The bombing run is actually pretty potent (keeping in mind you need LOS). Its good on matches that devolve into a stalemate over 1 VP where you can expect big pushes by and against you in one area. It's also pretty good against turtley opponents *cough cough* Cancer Regiment. Other than that you'll mostly use it for the novelty of the Goliath - as Kalli said urban-ish maps that funnel infantry and have lots of cover to cloak in are good for it.

Otherwise you get a lot more bang for your buck if you go for a commander with call-in infantry/ infiltration grenades IMO.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★