Login

russian armor

ost-Urban Assault Commander

23 Mar 2016, 15:45 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2016, 15:34 PMThamor

If you can read whole text, I meant forward RETREAT point. OST is only faction that has no doctrine to get their retreat point be anything else but back to base.

SU still has their own FHQ.

Pretty sure the Soviets' Urban Defence FHQ does not provide a retreat point.
nee
23 Mar 2016, 16:00 PM

Urban Assault Doctrine was, IIRC, as follows:

0CP: Forward Supply Station: converts ambient building to spawn mechanics and can reinforce; infantry also gain the "Rally at Forward Supply Station" button, making it a Forward Retreat Point.

1CP: Urban Assault Panzergrenadiers: five man squad, three armed with MP40s, two with flamethrowers, has Penal's satchel bomb and a smoke grenade ability; 360 manpower, 9 popcap; the unit is bugged in that it spawns with two flamers, but still has a (greyed out) upgrade for flamer, plus a Survival Training upgrade that improves unit durability for a whopping 85 munitions.

2CP: Incendiary Mortar Barrage: Allows the Gr34 Mortar to fire incendiary mortar round, identical to Mortar Halftrack's ability, for 30 munitions.

3CP: Munitions Blitz: when activated, you gain 75 munitions but lose 160 manpower over four minutes. It seems this ability can be used multiple times and can be stacked, and the number is indicated at HQ.

12CP: Strategic Bombing: cost 300 munitions and seems to be based on UKF's Carpet Bombing ability, with large scatter radius and can be targeted into fog of war.

As you can see, the abilities are really hodgepodged and are either overpowered in early game, or underpowered in late game. It's also considerably munitions heavy. Personally, the only thing good about the commander idea is that the good individual abilities can be given out to other existing and unused commanders, or can be featured in some new Ostheer commanders. Instead of a supply station I'd rather it be a halftrack or Opel call-in that can upgrade to FRP and/or spawn mechanics, at least then it's a mobile option that doesn't require the player to camp in a town.

Some abilities however are just pointless.
Incendiary Mortar Barrage only affects the mortar squad, might as well have made it a mortar halftrack call-in.
The 5-man panzergrenadier unit is basically Penals, and more suited either being Pioniers, or a Pionier upgrade. Munitions Blitz is basically Redistribute Resources, which is scrapped from commanders, and would need to go.
Strategic Bombing is impressive but clearly needs to be limited to LOS range.

Without any of these sort of changes, this commander idea was just terrible.
23 Mar 2016, 17:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2016, 15:45 PMVuther

Pretty sure the Soviets' Urban Defence FHQ does not provide a retreat point.

Also that commander is map dependent as hell, you can't repair building and mortar HT / flame nade will burn it down real nice.
23 Mar 2016, 17:25 PM

+1 I'd really enjoy Relic releasing this commander along with the soviet's 'Not One Step Back Commander.' Sure they could use some balance changes due to them being relatively outdated, but they would still fit in very well in my opinion.
23 Mar 2016, 19:31 PM

Remove the FHQ and this is basically the same as some of the Brit commanders.
23 Mar 2016, 21:21 PM

I just played against this doc in automatch the 5 man pgran squad with 2 flamers could solo 2 shock squads. its so broken
23 Mar 2016, 21:37 PM

It's suprising, but Ostheers already have "FHQ" without retreat point. And it costs no fuel at all. Calls "Medbunker+Reinforce bunker". Works pretty same as soviet FHQ, healing, reinforcing, but without buff for soldiers. So, give them one more FHQ? What for?

I have to agree with Thamor on this one.

OST doesnt have a mobile retreat.
RU has a conditional one, commander dependant.
UKF have the forward observation post.
USF have captain on me
24 Mar 2016, 00:01 AM

I have to agree with Thamor on this one.

OST doesnt have a mobile retreat.
RU has a conditional one, commander dependant.
UKF have the forward observation post.
USF have captain on me

Soviet FHQ does is not a forward retreat. Neither vanilla faction xan press retreat and end up anywhere but base at any point during the game regardless of doctrine or fuel spent
24 Mar 2016, 22:37 PM

Soviet FHQ does is not a forward retreat. Neither vanilla faction xan press retreat and end up anywhere but base at any point during the game regardless of doctrine or fuel spent

Yep, I did check it. OST & SU can't have forward retreat point, which is someways sad. Should be made possible with some commander choice. But still would atleast want that forward HQ that SU do get, transform building to reinforce and make it unusable by your opponent, it's very powerful ability in some maps and even more in 1v1&2v2.

USF with ambulance&captain already make them very strong in almost all game modes. Basicly mobile HQ. Not my problem if people don't understand the power of it or use it that well for advantage.

25 Mar 2016, 00:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2016, 21:21 PMBurmie
I just played against this doc in automatch the 5 man pgran squad with 2 flamers could solo 2 shock squads. its so broken

Hold on what
You played this doctrine in automatch?
25 Mar 2016, 00:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Mar 2016, 00:06 AMDomine

Hold on what

Allied fanboi trolling.
25 Mar 2016, 00:40 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Mar 2016, 00:06 AMDomine

Hold on what

i played against it

https://www.coh2.org/replay/50997/ost-urban-assault-in-automatch
25 Mar 2016, 00:47 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Mar 2016, 00:40 AMBurmie

i played against it

https://www.coh2.org/replay/50997/ost-urban-assault-in-automatch

Custom Mod game?

ps. Watched replay, Burmie apologies if that was not trolling game. Did not know that someone could really use that ingame...

pss. please make this doctrine open to all OST players :D
25 Mar 2016, 01:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Mar 2016, 00:47 AMThamor

Custom Mod game?

ps. Watched replay, Burmie apologies if that was not trolling game. Did not know that someone could really use that ingame...

pss. please make this doctrine open to all OST players :D

nah not mod, just in automatch, some french guy said he got it in a video contenst
25 Mar 2016, 01:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Mar 2016, 01:16 AMBurmie

nah not mod, just in automatch, some french guy said he got it in a video contenst

Yeah, saw the replay chat. Had myself o_O wtf moments when read it... :)

But to be fair you didn't play that 1v1 really well, in the end he only had 1 squad of those and didn't do anything extra ordinary...

Sad thing didn't see any of those other abilities that commander should have. But only fix there is that make the squad have only 0 flamers, just ammo upgrades for them, 2 flamers on straight away is OP with CP1...like landmatress at cp5 :D

But the potentials that the game makers failed there, is that "SMOKE GRENADE" on a OST unit...MADNESS!!
USF smoke grenade, UKF smoke grenade, SU smoke grenade, OKW smoke grenade...yes, I know some are commander only and units that have them aren't real smoke grenades like fallschirmjäger smoke, or commandos, but still every other faction do get them which is like basic of basic grenades. Don't mean that grenadiers should be shooting smoke everywhere but why can't like Stormtroopers have them?

But in the end this games original maker were from Canada and their learning of ww2 Axis using smoke grenades can be concluded on this short video...

giving things like cooked gammo bombs for 45 ammo...then have panzergrenadier bundle charges for 45 ammo...QA goes cooked gammo vs Bundle grenade? Which of these can wipe a unit?

Blame Canada!

26 Mar 2016, 01:40 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I thought it was locked for devs only.

Shocktroops with double flamethrowers. What can go wrong.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★