Login

russian armor

Snipers = Useless ?

8 Jul 2013, 14:27 PM
Donator 11

Beside the clown car, do you or would you use them ? have they become totally useless ?
ntd
8 Jul 2013, 14:33 PM
Admin Black Badge

Russian snipers are far from useless, clown car or not.
8 Jul 2013, 14:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jul 2013, 14:33 PMntd
Russian snipers are far from useless, clown car or not.

+1
8 Jul 2013, 14:51 PM

Ostheer sharpshooter need some armor and reload buff, I feel sorry for that badass guy being a super underpowered unit
8 Jul 2013, 15:05 PM

@Porygon, I think it's more the survivability than the armour + reload, tbh. As a 40hp single model, it's things like mortar, ZiS and tank near misses that tend to result in an invariable early-mid-game death.
8 Jul 2013, 15:23 PM

@Porygon, I think it's more the survivability than the armour + reload, tbh. As a 40hp single model, it's things like mortar, ZiS and tank near misses that tend to result in an invariable early-mid-game death.

Maybe I am a fan of heavy sniper play in CoH1, CoH2 sharpshooter durability is extremely not satisfy, along with Cons stupid oowah crap, goddamn sniper cars, meh

And Soviet get thir armored, super speedy and super reload "Sniper" at mid game, isn't it?
8 Jul 2013, 15:33 PM

The Soviet sniper has less armour, shoots more slowly etc. etc. the sniper car actually hasn't bothered me at all yet. Expensive and easily countered by scout cars. Currently I can almost always keep a German sniper alive and getting plenty of kills until the ZiS/T-70/mortar comes out at which point a retreating sniper is likely to get nobbled by the scatter or splash damage because he is one low-HP model.
8 Jul 2013, 15:40 PM

Infantry have 80 hitpoints each. Even the sniper. He just has 2 armor, which makes him take half damage from small arms.
So in theory he can take the same amount of small arms fire as the two Soviet snipers.
However, if something overkills the first model the German sniper would take the overkill damage just as well so this doesn't work out.
He is also super weak vs. explosions flames etc. that all one shot him because his armor doesn't work against them. Plus explosions normally do 80++ damage so he is always one-shot.
Furthermore, the Soviet sniper vet ability (sprint) further increases their survivability.

I'd rather see him have 160 health... After all he is a super fit elite soldier, right? ;)

The perk of the German sniper is that he cloaks faster and keeps his cloak for 2 seconds or so after leaving cover. So in theory he could be very interesting to use but basically nobody has the micro to keep him alive and he has to kill a huge number of soldiers to be worth his manpower cost (cheap reinforce on nearly all Soviet inf).
8 Jul 2013, 16:12 PM
Benefactor 115

it doesn't really work like takes half damage, its a 50% chance to take no damage.

So on some occasions you can get some really lucky rolls where he takes no damage after numerous shots, same applies to other units with armour greater than 1.
8 Jul 2013, 16:41 PM

@Rofl - pretty sure the sniper models all have 40 HP. Having an 80hp sniper would still have him be one-shotted by direct arty hits but less likely to get instagibbed by near misses and tank scatter AOE, which'd be nice for keeping him alive for a bit of the midgame. The Soviets tend to get away from such things just because the second model will rarely get killed in one shot if they're already retreating. 160 would probably be way too survivable vs. small arms fire.
8 Jul 2013, 17:19 PM

Infantry have 80 hitpoints each. Even the sniper. He just has 2 armor, which makes him take half damage from small arms.
So in theory he can take the same amount of small arms fire as the two Soviet snipers.
However, if something overkills the first model the German sniper would take the overkill damage just as well so this doesn't work out.
He is also super weak vs. explosions flames etc. that all one shot him because his armor doesn't work against them. Plus explosions normally do 80++ damage so he is always one-shot.
Furthermore, the Soviet sniper vet ability (sprint) further increases their survivability.

I'd rather see him have 160 health... After all he is a super fit elite soldier, right? ;)

The perk of the German sniper is that he cloaks faster and keeps his cloak for 2 seconds or so after leaving cover. So in theory he could be very interesting to use but basically nobody has the micro to keep him alive and he has to kill a huge number of soldiers to be worth his manpower cost (cheap reinforce on nearly all Soviet inf).

The snipers are actually the only infantry units with 40hp. The Soviet Sniper team being composed of two members, 40hp each.

Someone suggested in another thread to give the german sniper 80hp, which I would agree on (since it is the focus of all fire, while soviet snipers statistically split enemy fire between both).

I furthered my suggestion by saying Soviet sniper teams should lose the sniper rifle unless they have 2 squad members. However, keeping it fair by allowing a 1 man soviet team to still be able to shoot flares (a reason to keep em in the field, if you so choose). The reaosning behind this: to allow german counter snipes to be fair, since right now, a succesful counter snipe still allows a smart soviet player to retaliate and countersnipe.
8 Jul 2013, 17:36 PM
Honorary Member Badge

im not gonna say they are usless however they are not OP as fuck like in coh. they might need a slight re implement but overall they got the right idea they shouldn't be so powerful they are required.
8 Jul 2013, 18:58 PM
Donator 11

I would maybe have a on/off cloak button but if in negative cover = always visible
8 Jul 2013, 21:01 PM

Really. Just 40 hp... well that makes it even worse. Having a 50% chance to not take damage from a bullet is really a lot more high stakes with so little hp. Miss your 50% roll a few times and you're dead... four Mosin bullets is all it takes...
8 Jul 2013, 22:27 PM

Really. Just 40 hp... well that makes it even worse. Having a 50% chance to not take damage from a bullet is really a lot more high stakes with so little hp. Miss your 50% roll a few times and you're dead... four Mosin bullets is all it takes...

And thats in the early game. Mid game? A single T70 shot will kill it. No other infantry in the game dies as fast as the sniper, not even pioneers/CE's
9 Jul 2013, 07:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jul 2013, 17:36 PMWiFiDi
im not gonna say they are usless however they are not OP as fuck like in coh. they might need a slight re implement but overall they got the right idea they shouldn't be so powerful they are required.

OP as fuck... are you kidding... The sniper returned the in kills what you put in in skill. Snipers in CoH were easy to kill if reacted to and always counter-snipable. They demanded a reaction which made the unit worth a damn, where as snipers in CoH2 seem to not demand a reaction at all from the looks of this thread.
9 Jul 2013, 07:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jul 2013, 07:08 AMkinki

OP as fuck... are you kidding... The sniper returned the in kills what you put in in skill. Snipers in CoH were easy to kill if reacted to and always counter-snipable. They demanded a reaction which made the unit worth a damn, where as snipers in CoH2 seem to not demand a reaction at all from the looks of this thread.

While number >=2 then it will be OP as fuck, but I enjoy it :p
9 Jul 2013, 08:13 AM

Permanently Banned
Kinki, with all due respect, buy the game and play it, or refrain from discussing balance that you havent even played yet.

Ontopic: Ost sniper needs changing. This really is not up for dispute.
9 Jul 2013, 10:47 AM

in fact i think the german sniper is much better than soviet one because the soviet just keeps missing and missing, shot after shot, sometimes is annoying. i remember a battle a few days ago that i was trying to snipe a mg crew inside a house and my sniper missed four consecutive shots, not one, two or three but four! needless to say that my rush early game failed because of that specific event. and german sniper fires much faster than the soviet one(and if you keep him in cover it cloaks very fast too). i think that most of the games soviet snipers are crucial to defeat german infantry, i have lost a few battles because i forgot to have at least one in the battlefield (after my sniper was killed and i didnt rebuild it). soviet snipers benefit largely of german small squads so at least one is vital at all times and keeps germans from rushing brainlessly at your troops.
9 Jul 2013, 10:58 AM

Permanently Banned
"i was trying to snipe a mg crew inside a house..."

Thats your problem right there.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak