Login

russian armor

New Commander Idea: Ground Support Tactics

14 Mar 2016, 19:02 PM

Introduction:
Hello! I'm glad to welcome you to my second semi-large project/idea. This time it is a soviet commander which will be called: Ground Support Tactics. It'll seem to be very similar to the Wehrmacht's Assault Support doctrine, but that wasn't intentional. I'm also planning on 2 other commander ideas in the future, but I'll save those for then, because now, I'm going to be focusing on your feedback for this one. This commander will be fairly simple, but will still add some units, including the commissar squad that was left behind in the 'Not One Step Back Tactics' commander, and the ZiS 6 Supply Truck.

Commander Name:
Ground Support Tactics

Commander Description:
Support you and you allies with the ZiS 6 supply truck, which will help secure resources. Use the powerful firepower of the HM-38 120mm Mortar, upgrade your conscripts with anti-tank weaponry, and release a commissar to the front to inspire your troops to fight more efficiently. When the enemy is weakened, push your forces while being supported by the ISU-152 Heavy Assault Gun.

Commander Abilities:

(1 CP) Commissar Squad

(2 CP) HM-38 120mm Mortar Squad

(3 CP) ZiS-6 Supply Truck

(8 CP) Coordinated 152mm Heavy Barrage

(14 CP) KV-2 Heavy Tank

Visual Previews:

Information About New Units/Abilities:
Commissar Squad:
The commissar squad functions similarly to the OKW's sturm officer except provides both Offensive and Defensive buffs. If the commissar dies, then the units all become pinned, instead of retreating.

ZiS-6 Supply Truck:
The ZiS-6 Supply Truck acts superior to the Opel Blitz Truck in it's mobility, armor, and health, but the resource income is the same. To compensate for it's superior defensive stats, the cost is 200 manpower and 5 fuel (compared to 200 manpower for the Opel Blitz). The truck looks very similar to this and appears in the 'Tiger Ace' Theater of War Mission:

Coordinated 152mm Heavy Barrage:
This barrage is shortly delayed, has little time between shells, and uses heavy 152mm shells from the ML-20. This ability costs 160 munitions, and has a 75 second recharge. It is great to respond to enemy breakthroughs, and is very concentrated, so it could easily weaken/destroy a target if targeted. Due to the short delay, this can be used against blobs, and is powerful enough to use against strategic buildings.

Conclusion:
This commander's overall intention is to give the soviets an option to chose a more 'Support-Style' role, while also giving them plenty of supporting firepower to push an assault. This commander would most likely be seen in 3v3, or 4v4 games where a 'Support-Style' role is possible. I decided to add these units to this commander based on their effect on the actual gameplay, so it wouldn't be a random, scrambled-ability commander like we've seen in the past. This commander could still be used effectively in smaller 2v2 and 1v1 games, but some of the abilities would be too much of an investment/risky for it to be a commonly seen commander in those games. This commander would add more possible team strategies not only for the soviets, but for the allied factions in general.

Link to the Preview Mod:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=646172754

Link to my other Ostheer Commander:
https://www.coh2.org/topic/48977/new-commander-terror-doctrine

Thanks again for reading through this, and I hope you have a wonderful day!
~Karbinder
14 Mar 2016, 19:16 PM

Two artillery units, in my opinion, it's excessive. Also, there isn't any doctrine with howitzer+heavy tank. I think it'd be a good idea to change the ML-20 for "Mother russia" or some other munition call in.

The rest looks pretty cool. I would actually like to see comissars and ZiS-6 trucks.
14 Mar 2016, 19:19 PM

exchanguing the mortar or the ML-20 would for ppsh pack would be better IMO
14 Mar 2016, 20:49 PM

Ok, here are the abilities/upgrades that I would consider to replace the ML-20 howitzer:
  • Conscript PTRS Package
  • Radio Intercept
  • Anti-Tank Gun Ambush Tactics
  • Armored Vehicle Detection

Nevermind, just decided to go with Conscript PTRS Package.
14 Mar 2016, 20:51 PM

Oh gawd, there he goes again... why aren't you making a new offmap that goes beyond the limits of destruction?
14 Mar 2016, 20:52 PM

Oh gawd, there he goes again... why aren't you making a new offmap that goes beyond the limits of destruction?

Because, that's in the next soviet commander I'll be suggesting. It'll be like this, 2 'Support-style' commanders (1 for Wehrmacht, 1 for Soviets), and then 2 'Slap-in-the-face-style' commanders (1 for Wehrmacht, 1 for Soviets).
14 Mar 2016, 20:54 PM

Hey; could you be so kind as to make a general description on the comissar abilities? I prefer reading than seeing the Youtube vid, I couldn't understand quite nicely what was going on with more details - presbyopia is a fact, you know?
14 Mar 2016, 20:55 PM

Hey; could you be so kind as to make a general description on the comissar abilities? I prefer reading than seeing the Youtube vid, I couldn't understand quite nicely what was going on with more details - presbyopia is a fact, you know?

He doesn't have any manually activated abilities. Just passive buffs to allied units. I'll get some stats on the aura when I start working on the preview.
14 Mar 2016, 21:03 PM

at the moment the ML20 is so heavily dependent upon your enemy choosing a commander without the stuka 50kg that it may as well not be there.

Other than that looks good.
14 Mar 2016, 21:05 PM

ZIS-6 will be gewwd :romeoHairDay:
14 Mar 2016, 22:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2016, 21:03 PMGrim
at the moment the ML20 is so heavily dependent upon your enemy choosing a commander without the stuka 50kg that it may as well not be there.

Other than that looks good.

I'm trading the ML-20 out for one of these:
  • Conscript PTRS Package
  • Radio Intercept
  • Anti-Tank Gun Ambush Tactics
  • Armored Vehicle Detection

Nevermind, just decided to go with Conscript PTRS Package.
14 Mar 2016, 22:40 PM

Seems an underpowered commander compared to the Ostheer one.
14 Mar 2016, 22:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2016, 22:40 PMDoggo
Seems an underpowered commander compared to the Ostheer one.

It's a support commander. It's not supposed to have super-powerful abilities. The next commander I plan on discussing/introducing will be a Soviet 'slap-in-the-face-style' commander.
15 Mar 2016, 02:01 AM

So far the preview mod is making absolutely AMAZING progress :D, so I'd actually expect it to be completed tomorrow. Also, the ZiS-6 Supply Truck will cost an extra 10 fuel compared to the Opel Blitz truck due to having MUCH better defensive stats in terms of both HP and Armor.

Thanks for the feedback so far!
~Kar
15 Mar 2016, 03:18 AM

4 call-ins are not enough. everyone knows a well rounde commander needs 5 at least
15 Mar 2016, 03:28 AM

4 call-ins are not enough. everyone knows a well rounde commander needs 5 at least

:foreveralone:

I could make the ZiS-6 resource income passive just so I could imagine lelic saying "No counter, must remove."
15 Mar 2016, 04:36 AM

I will be happy if they add commissar commander for soviet because it's soviet !!
IMO you should change ptrs to ppsh.
I like your previous commander : terror doctrine. :clap:
15 Mar 2016, 06:04 AM

Hmmm

Nifty, not digging the ISU 152 though..

Just doesn't seem to fit.

Something new, hasn't been done, is their 25 (m1940 72k) or 37mm(m1939 61k) anti air guns. They could be wheeled around like a land mattress. Kind of a weaker OKW flack HT.

Or

One of them big 100mm field guns.

15 Mar 2016, 06:38 AM

another commander encouraging conscript Zerg rush. No thanks.
The Soviet commander without calling elite infantry - useless commander.
15 Mar 2016, 07:32 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Nice idea! Although I'd like to see something else to spend munitions on, especially with the truck increasing income. Some kind of offmap artillery or airstrike would be awesome! Other than that, great commander. Would definitely like to see it in game!

I actually made a (somewhat different) Commissar squad and a ZiS-6 (transport) truck for a little mod of mine, maybe you want to ckeck it out:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=635567216
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS