Login

russian armor

A toddler can aim better then a tommy with a piat

24 Feb 2016, 22:00 PM

Am I the only one that wishes Piats were good? I equip my Royal Engineers with it occasionally to deter tanks but it is more for show and less of an actual threat. There is literally no attempt to hit anything that moves not directly at you. When I play OKW/OST and I see piats I just shift move my luchs/panzer/panther/KT and laugh at the waste of munitions.
24 Feb 2016, 22:07 PM

Piats are really good. They have 80 deflection damage and 120 pen damage. Just only use ATTACK GROUND (std hotkey G) Dont let them "auto shoot" Dont forget to make a nice blob to one shot a KT/ tigers etc.
24 Feb 2016, 22:08 PM

aren't you supposed to use attack ground w/ your super sick micro to rek dem n00bs + 40% deflection dmg to make axis cry salty tears?
24 Feb 2016, 23:26 PM

In any case, attacking ground with PIATS only works during minor engagements where you only have to micro 1 or 2 units. During larger engagements, the PIATS do little more than create yellow cover for the enemy. They are far from "very good".
27 Feb 2016, 21:21 PM

Piats are really good. They have 80 deflection damage and 120 pen damage. Just only use ATTACK GROUND (std hotkey G) Dont let them "auto shoot" Dont forget to make a nice blob to one shot a KT/ tigers etc.

PIAT's even with attack ground suck ass with their accuracy, at max range even hitting a bunker is problematic let alone a Luch

pretty much just a gimmick weapon to blob vs a unsupported tiger and nothing else. One MG42 will shut that down
28 Feb 2016, 18:46 PM

Handheld AT is not meant to be used aggressively but in conjunction with ATGs and other armour. ATGs have great range but are vulnerable to flanking.
28 Feb 2016, 22:12 PM

Handheld AT is not meant to be used aggressively but in conjunction with ATGs and other armour. ATGs have great range but are vulnerable to flanking.

I agree... but still tell that to a panzershrek.
28 Feb 2016, 23:30 PM

If I ever had to scrape up a list of the strongest features of the UKF faction (relative to other factions & the enemies you are facing), PIATs would have to be at the very top, and by a wide margin. Well, at least now that Artillery Cover has been rebalanced.

PIATs require a bit of practice and a lot of micro (with attack ground) to get right. To practice:
- Use cheatmod and try hitting stationary kubels & bunkers at long ranges
- Once you feel comfortable, jump in-game and promise yourself you will make 1-2 PIAT squads
- As you begin to feel more comfortable, start aiming them at retreating infantry (1 hit = 50% HP off)
- Finally, start actively using them against snipers; doesn't matter if you hit, you're laying the fear on the other guy.

The clear downside is micro:
- You need to anticipate enemy vehicle movement
- You need to manually aim every single shot

Personally, I find this very tasking; I am decent at microing snipers. I can also micro PIATs quite. However, I find it impossible to micro snipers AND PIATs on the same game. It's either one or the other.

Finally, for the love of god, never give PIATs to Tommies. They get a horrible penalty to their reload speed out of cover (that's one of the main benefits of PIATs vs Schrecks).
1 Mar 2016, 05:42 AM

I'd be fine with their current accuracy (or lack thereof) if it unlocked the ability to use a snare.
1 Mar 2016, 06:02 AM

I think as a basic improvement PIATs should be able fire relatively accurately where vehicles will be *if* they don't adjust their direction/speed. This would fit their role as an ambush weapon, while allowing opponents to counter with good vehicle micro.

Improving PIAT effectiveness with vet certainly wouldn't hurt either.
1 Mar 2016, 06:14 AM

1. piats are cheap enough to be spammable.
2. are really effective when spammed since you cannot always guarantee hits.
3. practice attack ground; tends to overshoot at further ranges so aim slightly in front of the unit.
4. only scatter matters for the piat
5. Equip piat to REs and they vet super quick; OKW trucks are my favourite target especially behind trees and shot blockers.
6. Remember at vet 1 REs get -30% cooldown WHEN IN COVER,+50% Reload WHEN IN COVER.
7. Never bad mouth what you don't understand.
1 Mar 2016, 06:24 AM

If I ever had to scrape up a list of the strongest features of the UKF faction (relative to other factions & the enemies you are facing), PIATs would have to be at the very top, and by a wide margin. Well, at least now that Artillery Cover has been rebalanced.

PIATs require a bit of practice and a lot of micro (with attack ground) to get right. To practice:
- Use cheatmod and try hitting stationary kubels & bunkers at long ranges
- Once you feel comfortable, jump in-game and promise yourself you will make 1-2 PIAT squads
- As you begin to feel more comfortable, start aiming them at retreating infantry (1 hit = 50% HP off)
- Finally, start actively using them against snipers; doesn't matter if you hit, you're laying the fear on the other guy.

The clear downside is micro:
- You need to anticipate enemy vehicle movement
- You need to manually aim every single shot

Personally, I find this very tasking; I am decent at microing snipers. I can also micro PIATs quite. However, I find it impossible to micro snipers AND PIATs on the same game. It's either one or the other.

Finally, for the love of god, never give PIATs to Tommies. They get a horrible penalty to their reload speed out of cover (that's one of the main benefits of PIATs vs Schrecks).

I would have to rate the PIAT as probably the worst feature of the British faction. Yes, even below the 17 pounder.
1 Mar 2016, 06:54 AM

Sometimes they'll win you the game, sometimes they'll lose it for you. En masse they can be deadly, but it seems to depend too much on what you opponent builds infantry wise.

Totally disagree on never giving them to Tommies, you need the sight range of pyrotechnic tommies to use them effectively as their biggest strength is their range. Can be quite effective with an AEC willing to dive too. If treadbreaker worked then I think Piats might come into their own though frankly they are a bit of a curate's egg.
1 Mar 2016, 13:15 PM

1. piats are cheap enough to be spammable.
6. Remember at vet 1 REs get -30% cooldown WHEN IN COVER,+50% Reload WHEN IN COVER.

Three sidenotes:
1. Sapper Cover bonus ONLY affects their stens; it doesn't affect PIATs/Vickers/LMGs etc. Thus, feel free to keep them out of cover so that they won't get wiped by mortars/tankshells etc
2. Advanced Cover (the new commander ability) affects reload time. This means that Tommies with PIATs/Schrecks/whatever become anti-tank doomgods when the ability is active and Tommies are in-cover (I don't have the commander to try it :3)
3. Word on the street (Cruzz) says that Relic did not use the right modifiers for Advanced Cover combat. As such, Tommies also benefit from a small buff also when they are out of cover (I haven't verified it yet, so I haven't reported it yet).

Otherwise, +100 what FG127820 waid.

Totally disagree on never giving them to Tommies, you need the sight range of pyrotechnic tommies to use them effectively as their biggest strength is their range.

Nothing prevents you from making a Pyrotechnics Tommy squad and keeping it ahead of the pack to give you vision. Oh yeah, Pyrotechnics is also currently bugged (à la vet-bug); thus you will end up losing the bonus sight as the game drags on.

PIAT range is insanely awesome. I'd say that their biggest advantage is, though, their insane rate of fire, and the ability to fire them over obstacles.
1 Mar 2016, 13:33 PM

Sometimes they'll win you the game, sometimes they'll lose it for you. En masse they can be deadly, but it seems to depend too much on what you opponent builds infantry wise.

Totally disagree on never giving them to Tommies, you need the sight range of pyrotechnic tommies to use them effectively as their biggest strength is their range. Can be quite effective with an AEC willing to dive too. If treadbreaker worked then I think Piats might come into their own though frankly they are a bit of a curate's egg.

I think they have a couple of useful niches, actually. They are excellent building killers, and while they are not generally useful damage dealers against tanks or light armor they do force your opponent to keep moving (i.e. forcing down his accuracy.)

They're definitely not something to build a comp around, but I think they have a real role.

1 Mar 2016, 14:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Mar 2016, 13:33 PMWygrif

I think they have a couple of useful niches, actually. They are excellent building killers, and while they are not generally useful damage dealers against tanks or light armor they do force your opponent to keep moving (i.e. forcing down his accuracy.)

They're definitely not something to build a comp around, but I think they have a real role.

At max range this guy even miss OKW trucks, I'll take zooks/PTRS over this POS anyday.
1 Mar 2016, 15:15 PM

At max range this guy even miss OKW trucks, I'll take zooks/PTRS over this POS anyday.

True, but with smoke/shot blockers and attack ground you can put a bunch of damage on a truck much more safely than an ATG. I'm not saying that they're great or that I wouldn't take a shrek or a zook over a PIAT. All I'm saying is that they're not completely useless like some folks seem to think.
1 Mar 2016, 16:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Mar 2016, 15:15 PMWygrif

True, but with smoke/shot blockers and attack ground you can put a bunch of damage on a truck much more safely than an ATG. I'm not saying that they're great or that I wouldn't take a shrek or a zook over a PIAT. All I'm saying is that they're not completely useless like some folks seem to think.

Yep PIAT is a monster when you have 4+ gun shooting at big fat target like Tiger ala Sprice RE blob, for other purpose better use the AT IS from Special Weapon Regiment, usually Luchs/Ostwind just laugh at PIAT, COH1 it works because UK have button, now UK don't even have decent snare.
1 Mar 2016, 16:47 PM

PIATs do a number on OKW Trucks (and emplacements if they get stolen lol). Other than that they feel like RNG lotteries when dealing with tanks: either you get a couple of lucky hits that suddenly drops the tanks health fast enough that your 6 Pounder can finish them off before your opponent can react or its a whiff fest and you wonder why you bothered in the first place. If anything I like to put them on Sappers just to keep my opponent honest with his tank micro.
1 Mar 2016, 19:15 PM

"At max range this guy even miss OKW trucks, I'll take zooks/PTRS over this POS anyday."

Yes they do, though they miss consistently in a way that makes them oddly useful. Piats almost always overshoot, and with their 45m range adding to the overshoot ( at least 5m, maybe 10) it gives them a huge radius of fire. You miss most of this unless you use them in garrisons with vet1 IS or with pyro IS. They also do some interesting if somewhat haphazard damage at extreme close range, which makes them very useful against pios and the like storming your garrison. Not generally enough to prevent a capture but useful.

One thing I've noticed is that dual wielding squads don't seem to be anywhere near as effective as spreading Piats out across your squads. Giving every squad a single piat sees them flying all over the battlefield from odd directions which seems to be much more effective than having dedicated teams. This again is mainly due to their range and inability for engies and basic IS to self spot. Also gives some play against the better infantry types and if in doubt just sit tight in cover and see if the RNG gods give you a roll. Sometimes you can even get shots on mortar teams and the likes which ups the oppos micro if nothing else.

Yes pyro tommies might lose their sight range eventually but I've never really noticed this in game to be honest. Also even though vet was particularly broken for the Brits squads landing the odd piat on a vehicle vet up much faster though two in a squad seem to water down the AI effect to disastrous levels if they go for LMGs. Piats don't fire on the move ( though I wonder whether Commando ones do a la Brens, should test this) which makes them very inefficient for trying to chase anything, though as your Tommies always go from cover to cover their out of cover debuff doesn't really matter so much.

Saying all that I wouldn't step over a Shreck for one. Or for two of em if truth be told. Three might cause some thought.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★