Login

russian armor

Gamebreaking veterancy bug

PAGES (8)down
18 Feb 2016, 22:50 PM

Just thought I'd create a dedicated thread for this. Since if true, it deserves more attention then to behundreds of posts into cruzz's thread.

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2016, 19:09 PMCruzz

INFANTRY (NOT INCLUDING TEAM WEAPONS*) WEAPON VETERANCY WILL NOT WORK ON REINFORCED MEMBERS, ONLY ON THE MEMBERS PRESENT WHEN YOU HIT A VETERANCY LEVEL

All those accuracy, cooldown, etc bonuses only apply to the squad members who are alive when you hit a new level of veterancy. Their bonuses will apply to any weapon they use (even if they pick it up after vetting up), but the bonuses will not transfer to a newly reinforced model, even with a slot item type weapon.

As such, for non team weapons, veterancy provides ability changes and received accuracy, but any DPS changes will be gone as soon as every one of the original members of the squad are dead.

How long has this been true? Atleast since October, which was when Relic was last messing around with the veterancy system (trying to remove stuff stacking on abandon etc). But it could very well have been in place for a lot longer.

Why haven't people noticed? The effect is kinda delayed with weapon upgrades because slot items will always be moved to the next oldest member of the squad, so if you're only losing 1 or two models before retreating you will lose DPS very gradually because slot item weapons make up such a large portion of your DPS in this game. And people have certainly noticed how conscripts, the guys with no slot weapons (well, apart from ppsh) scale nowhere later on, as their DPS ends up being the exact same as on minute 1 eventually.

A simple way to check yourself because you won't believe anyway is to get a vet3 pathfinder squad. These guys have +5 range at vet3. Get a guy or two killed from the squad, reinforce, and watch in awe as the reinforced members of the squad wont have the extra range anymore. Or try vet4 obers with all original members killed, never suppression. ETC.

*As for team weapons, the team weapon itself is always alive so veterancy is applied to it just fine. This still means that the groupies in the team weapon are not gaining veterancy bonuses after dying once, but their DPS is generally not an issue anyway.

As a side note there's a couple of squads which have their received accuracy modifiers as apply_to_entity and thus those won't work on reinforced members of the squad either.

Tommies
Sappers (construction rate & received accuracy)
Lieutenant
Captain
Major

In short, Relic pls :hansREKT:
18 Feb 2016, 22:52 PM

Such a shame Romeo's trello bug board has been forgotten, it would help now when so many things like the veterancy bug are being found in the game
18 Feb 2016, 22:57 PM

It's hard to imagine no one has noticed this. I'm kind of skeptical about this. Hopefully a dev can give us a reply soon.
18 Feb 2016, 23:00 PM

Am I dreaming, or was the exact same bug reported several months ago by Relic along the fix? Was it reintroduced or never properly fixed? Or is this similar but different because it's exclusive to weapon vet?
1 of 6 Relic postsRelic 18 Feb 2016, 23:36 PM
Developer Relic Badge

This issue is in our database and being looked at.

Thanks
Neo
18 Feb 2016, 23:42 PM

Thanks

Zomg, hotfix?
A_E
18 Feb 2016, 23:52 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

When Relic fix this it will make it an entirely new game - I look forward to Company of Heroes 2.5 now with persistent infantry vet.
18 Feb 2016, 23:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2016, 23:52 PMA_E
When Relic fix this it will make it an entirely new game - I look forward to Company of Heroes 2.5 now with persistent infantry vet.

I doubt it will change the game to the extent you suggest, if they get around to it at all.
19 Feb 2016, 00:24 AM

My life was a lie :S

Relic pls.
19 Feb 2016, 00:31 AM

If this is true... Mind = blown...

If it is true it almost makes sense how as games drag on and on and on the bleed becomes unbearable even on vetted squads... Since they're losing their defensive bonuses.
19 Feb 2016, 00:34 AM

My life is a lie.

Company of Heroes 2.5 confirmed.
19 Feb 2016, 00:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2016, 00:31 AMCieZ

If it is true it almost makes sense how as games drag on and on and on the bleed becomes unbearable even on vetted squads... Since they're losing their defensive bonuses.

Defensive bonuses are applied to the whole squad, so this bug isn't related to them.

What this bug does affect are WEAPON MODIFIERS. (accuracy, cool-down time etc.)

It definitely explains why conscripts scale horribly without ppsh upgrades.
19 Feb 2016, 00:36 AM
Developer Relic Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2016, 00:31 AMCieZ

That's false. Unless you're a certain unit (Tommies) most of that defensive veterancy transfers over as it applies to the squad. What doesn't apply is offensive veterancy as those are applied to weapons.

I actually managed to get a work around by moving the veterancy to the entity file itself, not the squad, and made it so specific requirements triggers those offensive boosts and also not apply when they are on team weapons :D . The only thing that may be an issue with Conscripts merging where they will use the Conscript offensive veterancy rather than the that units offensive veterancy.
19 Feb 2016, 00:40 AM

That's false. Unless you're a certain unit (Tommies) most of that defensive veterancy transfers over as it applies to the squad. What doesn't apply is offensive veterancy as those are applied to weapons.

Doesn't this also apply to Sappers? (According to Cruzz, it definitely applies to the Heavy Engineer armour bonus).
19 Feb 2016, 00:48 AM
Patrion 14

Thanks

You know, people in this community tend to complain about Relic a lot, and I have basically ignored it until now.

But this is ridiculous. If I'm understanding you correctly--and please tell me if I'm not--this was already a known issue. So what exactly was the strategy here? Stick your fingers in your ears, go "la la la" and hope nobody ever notices that veterancy is fundamentally broken?

It's pudding like this that gives Relic a bad name with the playerbase. (And I know this isn't your fault specifically, Kyle, just saying).
19 Feb 2016, 00:51 AM

Guys,

Please don't jump on Cuddletronic.

When he says the issue is in our database, it means that Relic picked it up from that thread here, 1 hour before this thread was created:
https://www.coh2.org/topic/49433/pyrotechnics-supplies-vision-bug

This means that they've only recently become aware of this bug (and hopefully they will fix it soon!)
19 Feb 2016, 00:52 AM
Patrion 14

OK, sorry about that. As I said, happy to be corrected.
2 of 6 Relic postsRelic 19 Feb 2016, 00:56 AM
Developer Relic Badge

You know, people in this community tend to complain about Relic a lot, and I have basically ignored it until now.

But this is ridiculous. If I'm understanding you correctly--and please tell me if I'm not--this was already a known issue. So what exactly was the strategy here? Stick your fingers in your ears, go "la la la" and hope nobody ever notices that veterancy is fundamentally broken?

It's pudding like this that gives Relic a bad name with the playerbase. (And I know this isn't your fault specifically, Kyle, just saying).

It's possible this might be a knock on from the fix for the Veterancy Stacking Issue. This is something new, its not a "Veterancy Never Worked" thing.

Thanks
19 Feb 2016, 01:02 AM
Admin Red  Badge

If this is true it has to get hotfixed as soon as possible.
19 Feb 2016, 01:18 AM

So, if I understand this correctly, a vet 3 Conscript squad with no "original" members left would be exactly the same as a completely fresh squad in terms of DPS?
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS