Login

russian armor

It's about time to talk about Molotovs again

26 Jan 2016, 19:22 PM

I haven't seen this brought up in a few months so I guess I will wade into the shit river with my two cents.

At the moment, I feel that the molotov are simply unrewarding vs garrisoned units.

Time and time again I have planned out molotov assaults against a garrisoned HMG.

We all know the play

Step 1
Align your cons so that they are attacking from multiple angles

Step 2
Oorah one in to bait out the MG

Step 3
Send the rest in all set to throw a molotov when they get in range.

1 splash

2 splash

3 splash

Fuck yeah! GREAT SUCCESS...

10 seconds later the HMG is still firing with 1-3 men and 1/2 to 1/3rd HP left.

You've just spent 45-75 munitions depending on how many you threw and how many oorah'd and you have almost nothing to show for it. The HMG is still in the building and re-enforcements have arrived to shove you back off. (I know that the muni expenditure could potentially have been as little as 15 depending on how you played it but sometimes it has got to be more.)

I have even watched in horror as 3 spio squads laughed off multiple flame nades as they killed off the 2 squads that threw them. He lost one model.

The overall health of the building doesn't seem to factor into the damage done, nor does what side of the building you hit seem to matter. Experienced players know they can stay calm and carry on.

Here it comes...

As for the OKW option, I have to get out of the building every time. I cannot tank the incendiary grenade. It will wipe the squad. Every. Single. Time.

In the early game, forcing a forward MG out of your territory can set the tempo for the rest of the game and knowing that I can no longer trust my beloved cocktails can be very disheartening. I would need to take off my shoe to count the number of times I have flanked my little heart out only to be rewarded with a few model kills and not much else.

OK. There you have my experience. pls no bully

And while we are on the subject of fire vs buildings, the flame half track seems to be able to almost instantly wipe squads while the KV8 needs at least 2 bursts. Don't get me wrong I still love my KV8s but holy fuck are flame half tracks scary.

Also, a teammate that can micro a Uni carrier with a wasp is worth his weight in gold.
26 Jan 2016, 19:28 PM

Do you have a replay for 3 molotov doing almost nothing for 10 sec against MG or you are just randomly texting ?

Did you expect winning a fight with 2 cons against 3 Spios ?
26 Jan 2016, 19:32 PM

Mollys are fine, the damage is enough to force units to move out of buildings/cover and also has the time to burn a complete squad to death if not dodged

They're fine
26 Jan 2016, 19:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jan 2016, 19:28 PMBlalord
Do you have a replay for 3 molotov doing almost nothing for 10 sec against MG or you are just randomly texting ?

I guess i need to start saving the replays that make me mad too...
26 Jan 2016, 19:33 PM

Molos are fine.
One might think that they are way worse than Volks' incendiary but it's becasue of a death loop of allied HMGs :foreveralone:
26 Jan 2016, 19:41 PM

Cpt. QQ on duty. Molo and Volk nade got the exact same stats except throw time.
And yes flamehalftrack needs 1/2 of the time because it got 2 flamethrowers instead of one (kv8)
26 Jan 2016, 20:02 PM

And yes flamehalftrack needs 1/2 of the time because it got 2 flamethrowers instead of one (kv8)

On paper they may have the same stats but experience tells me they are not the same. Would you like to try again without resorting to name calling?

Regarding the halftrack, I'm talking 1-2 second wipes vs 5-8 second wipes. Half the time indeed.
26 Jan 2016, 20:10 PM

I might be wrong but I thought the incendiary grenade had a 10 or 20 damage impact damage? Does the molotov have that too? I know they have the same DoT.
26 Jan 2016, 20:14 PM

Pretty sure they are identical now, incendiary used to do more damage on impact but that got nerfed.
26 Jan 2016, 20:22 PM

On paper they may have the same stats but experience tells me they are not the same. Would you like to try again without resorting to name calling?

Regarding the halftrack, I'm talking 1-2 second wipes vs 5-8 second wipes. Half the time indeed.

So grenades/molotovs have an AOE where they'll actually deal damage. Outside of that, nothing happens. If an MG occupies the front of a long house (say a church), and you throw molotovs at the building's side, you may indeed end up killing only one model. The rest will remain frosty and unaffected.

What you can do instead is target the walls closest to the mg, outside of the house for maximum effect, or the doors if you see the mg packing up.

On the other hand, aimed weapons, like the halftrack flames will always be directed at entities in a house and their damage is spread over all models equally I think. So you either vacate with a whole but damaged squad or you lose everything.
26 Jan 2016, 20:24 PM

Molotov's are fine, no idea what you're on about.
A few tips:
-Don't 'Oorah!' with the bait-squad.
-Oorah with the other squads only if there is a reason to. Usually you won't have to.
-Don't just spread, approach from a different side of the building with each squad.
-Bait-squad should aim to get in cover, not close in for a molotov. That way, if the mg changes facing to engage your other squads, the bait-squad can move in for the cocktail and finish the job.

I think the only time you'll need to throw another one is against a building like the train station in 'Ettelbruck Station', because it's so huge.
26 Jan 2016, 20:32 PM

The throwtime should be made equal to the volks incendiary, other than that i see no problem about molotovs.
26 Jan 2016, 21:10 PM

The throwtime should be made equal to the volks incendiary, other than that i see no problem about molotovs.

This would probably require a cost increase. I believe someone said it was 15? I believe the incen grenade was 45.
26 Jan 2016, 21:25 PM

Protip: Step 2 is unnecessary.

There's 10 muni saved. Just walk them into the arc and draw the fire. Why Oorah at all?

Also if the MG squad is spread all out that the molotov's AoE won't affect them all, as long as the gunner dies, those guys will take a bit of time running over into the fire towards the MG to get shot up. It may even take enough time that the pinned squad loses its suppression and can continue to advance.
26 Jan 2016, 22:49 PM

Throw time is long. And you have to unlock them with fuel.
26 Jan 2016, 22:53 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Incendiaries and Molotovs could both use a damage-tick speed-up by the splitting the difference between the nerf and the former value (Ticked every 0.75 seconds, now every 1.25 seconds, change it to every 1 second). It's just silly having them hit weapon crews, having the crew then pack up and retreat, and fail to kill any of them.
26 Jan 2016, 23:00 PM

Make it so that molotovs take less time to throw, and increase flame damage over time. maybe add 5 muni to the cost, and now it is actually able to be feared.
26 Jan 2016, 23:47 PM

I think it's fine where it is. Cheapest incendiary and still gets units out of buildings.
27 Jan 2016, 00:57 AM

Performance-wise molotovs are just fine where they are. I'm not so sure about the fuel cost for the unlock though.
27 Jan 2016, 01:26 AM
Patrion 26

They could certainly do with a slight decrease in throw time. I've lost count of the amount of times the model attempting to throw it has died five minutes into the animation.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 50
Korea, Republic Of 9

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment