Login

russian armor

Non-meta strats

22 Jan 2016, 09:06 AM

I think a lot of people would agree with me that trying out new unit combinations and strats is the best way to have fun with this game in the long run. Right now I'm really failing at that. Thus I'm asking you guys what kind of strat you enjoy.

It doesn't have to be super-crazy or spammy. Just something that isn't completely meta, or maybe something you just came up with that you haven't tried yet.

Let's hear it!
22 Jan 2016, 09:13 AM
Senior Referee Badge

I think a lot of people would agree with me that trying out new unit combinations and strats is the best way to have fun with this game in the long run. Right now I'm really failing at that. Thus I'm asking you guys what kind of strat you enjoy.

It doesn't have to be super-crazy or spammy. Just something that isn't completely meta, or maybe something you just came up with that you haven't tried yet.

Let's hear it!

Next week the sign ups are going open for a non-meta cup :D, hope to see you there! :)
22 Jan 2016, 09:18 AM
Donator 11

Sorta-Non Meta USF build: (Bolded are pretty non-meta)

Two Rear Echelons w/ sweepers
Two Riflemen
Luitenant
M20
Grenades
Forward Ambulance (move it with your army)
Bazooka Upgrade for REs before 7 minute mark
M15A1 AA HT
.50 Cal MG
Captain
Stuart
Grenades
Pack Howitzer
ATG
Two Calliopes
No Major tech needed unless it is extra late game and they have too many tanks.
One Jackson
Spawn more Calliopes for teammates if teammates exist

Very effective strategy. M20 rush is a killer early game. Axis have no counters, MGs are dead, snipers are dead, Kubels are dead, Spios and Volks will retreat, OKW early game crushed. M15AA HT seals the deal. Bazooka RE upgrade against early Luchs or Puma. M20 Mines for extra firepower vs. OKW light vehicles. .50 cal can be amoved with your Riflemen, it shouldn't camp in a building. Give Calliopes to your Soviet and especially British teammates by hopping out and leaving in front of their base. Pack Howie is underused.

LT also underused. Awesome tier. You will go two Riflemen here but you get a free Riflemen squad (Luitenant) YAY. So its the same thing as making 3 but u get the 3rd for free ^_^ Sure this will expose you to Luchs rush but that's where M20 double bazooka crew or Rear Echelons bazookas or AA HT or M20 mines or Captain (if luchs is late enough) comes into play.
22 Jan 2016, 09:59 AM

The anti Brit build: (no pay to win doctrines needed)
2 Pios, 2 MG42s, third Pio.
Tech to tier two.
2 222s
Pak/Pgren
Tech to tier 3.
PIV, Stug, Stug/Ostwind
Tech to tier 4/more Pgrens.

Works with Mobile Defence, any ostruppen reserves doctrines, German Mechanised.

It can be hard, but get to mid game and pump out those Ostruppen.
22 Jan 2016, 10:23 AM

when im playing ost against an usf player, i try to go with dubble brumbar :foreveralone: . the dubble brumbars with completely destroy any infantry play from the murican specially when he blobs. if the murican builds any tanks that is no big deal since the brumbar does pretty well vs these paper things, als you can just back up your brumbars with some paks or schreks.
22 Jan 2016, 10:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2016, 09:59 AMSwift
Tech to tier two.
2 222s
Pak/Pgren
Tech to tier 3.
PIV, Stug, Stug/Ostwind

Seems funny and interesting!
I'll test that!

Thanks.

Kozo.
22 Jan 2016, 11:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2016, 10:29 AMKozokus

Seems funny and interesting!
I'll test that!

Thanks.

Kozo.

It's a lot of fun in 1v1, just remember that you have to be super aggressive and have one pio for your MGs to spot and flank. The third pio is map control and mining and should get a sweeper.

The 222s provide the oomph and synergise with Mortar halftracks if you can get them. Do not be afraid to lose the 222s unless you have German Mechanised, in which case save one and make it a map hack scout car, no reason to even move it after then. You can swap one out for a halfrack too, which may work better if you decide to choose Storm doctrine.

It can work with Tiger doctrines but I would not recommend them. This playstyle is about cheap units overwhelming the Brit player and the Tiger for the cost of two PIVs makes it hard to stay aggressive.
22 Jan 2016, 14:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2016, 09:59 AMSwift
Tech to tier two.
2 222s
Pak/Pgren
Tech to tier 3.
PIV, Stug, Stug/Ostwind

Yeah I also like that! Always been a fan of skipping T1 :)

Gamingbro, I havent played with Brummbars since forever, maybe I'll dare to try it sometime!
22 Jan 2016, 17:12 PM

It can also work with snipers, depends on how you roll.
25 Jan 2016, 08:29 AM

Used to do this back in the day, haven't been using this build in a looooong time: 4x Ostruppen, MG42, T2, 2 paks, 2 PzGrens with shreks, T4 and brummbär

This was a trolly build but got your opponent by surprise thinking that he can come through the amount of AT you had with only infantry but that's what the Brumm is there for
25 Jan 2016, 18:32 PM

I've been on the receiving end of some interesting builds recently. I play at around ladder rank 1500 - 2500, so not top-level, but some of the stuff I see is decidedly non-meta AND effective (at least against me).

One guy had three bulletins to improve rate of fire and accuracy (I think) on Rear Echelons, and didn't build a single rifle squad - just spammed REs and utilized mass-use of the suppressing fire ability! By the time I had 3 Gren squads, he had 5 REs and was starting to equip them with LMGS - holy DPS, Batman!

Another guy actually used the Assault Grenadiers from that Tiger Tank commander against me on La Gleize Breakout. The narrow streets and many twists and corners meant they were hugely effective against my rifles. He never built a building; just used all the call ins.

On guy in a 2v2 as SU produced two snipers and 2 guard squads, and his team mate produced another soviet sniper plus Shocks and Conscript assault. They supported each other really well, made use of flares to scout ahead, and my friend and I just could not deal with losing three men per sniper volley from each squad, and couldn't get on top of the snipers with anything but indirect fire!

Finally, one Brit produced three Infantry Sections, two Tank Hunter Sections, and AT/MG support. I'm not used to so much infantry from a Brit, and it was tearing my poor Grens to pieces!
25 Jan 2016, 18:35 PM

Oh, I almost forgot, I played a 2v2 against double OKW where between them thy built NINE kubelwagons right off the bat. The map control was ridiculous! Sadly for them, Kubels die to zooks pretty darn quick, so it didn't work out well against my US troops, but it was clearly something they had planned, as they both had stuffed their bulletins full of Kubel bulletins!
25 Jan 2016, 18:51 PM

I have been using tank hunter tactics, in combination with snipers. Double snipers with 5 PTRS cons to protect.
25 Jan 2016, 19:24 PM

Some chap built 5 or 6 Kubels against me on Minsk... Couldn't get out of my base and when I did it was like Benny Hill with three kubels chasing my retreating squad.

Think he was pissed but seemed pretty effective to me. He certainly seemed to enjoy it judging by the chat comments. :D
25 Jan 2016, 20:59 PM

if u want some pretty interesting gameplay and starts try and watch some of VindicareX's games he is super unpredictable and quite fun to watch .
even when he loses he loses in style lol
25 Jan 2016, 23:35 PM

I'm a real fan of special weapons support halftrack cruising around with tommies loaded up with vickers/bren LMG's. It does an extreme amount of damage, can reinforce nearby units and can drop weapons for teammates.
26 Jan 2016, 10:30 AM

USF mechanized commander works wonder on 1vs1/2vs2/3vs3/4vs4 vs OKW. Just veto heavy urban maps. Work well vs Ostheer but you need much more micro.

Starting RE rush choke point building. Do not try to cap anything on your way.
1xRE going capping
1xRM wait at the base
1xWC51, load RM and go for a ride: Objective is to kill the Sturmpioner. Use its pushing ability to not let the squad fireback. Do not forget to chase him on retreat. If he doesn't retreat it before losing 2 models you have 80% chance to kill the squad on retreat.
The RE on the building is there to deny it access, at the moment you engage the fight with the WC, you can leave it and assist the kill/cap.
Next, chase the Kubel, its probably capping on the other side of the map. That's an easy kill.
Repair and continue to chase his volks until he decide to field a Raken.
On the mean time, 2xRM + BARs
You should have cap 80% of the map, both fuel points included.
equip BARs,
Use your WC51 on flank only, be careful of the raken. If you keep moving, you have low chances to get hit, just use the WC51 to harass with a RM as spotter.
1xCapt
Captain, use it to speedup your pak Howi building time
Captain to speed up your Stuart building time, exchange WC51 and Stuart crew
Recycle your WC51 (you should be CP2 by then)

This strat leave you with a lot of MP, you shouldn't be losing a lot of models so 90% of the time, I build Pak and Stuart in a raw.
Mid to Late game like you feel it. I usually build a munition cache to be able to spam CP8 arty barrage :)

You'll probably need a bit of training, do not think the strat doesn't work because you lose your WC51 on your first games, you really need to learn to micro it since the unit doesn't have a incredible pathing.

WC51+RM > double Sturm if you keep pushing them.
WC51+RM > double Volks if you keep pushing them.

Garrisoned squads > WC51+RM in most of cases
Volks at long range > WC51+RM, they are hurting the WC51 pretty badly actually.
30 Jan 2016, 04:53 AM
Patrion 310

Non-meta?

─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ Go watch Super Kyle ;)
30 Jan 2016, 17:08 PM

I did try to 3x pio 2x mg > T2 against brits and it seems to work fairly well. I mean i was playing RedWings and made a decent game out of it so yeah. It was pretty fun as well.
30 Jan 2016, 17:21 PM

Then that's all the confirmation of it working I need :snfPeter:

[EDIT]: Got a replay?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment