Login

russian armor

OKW Base Defence/Flak Truck in relation to Air units

21 Jan 2016, 20:21 PM

Hey all (Don't worry this isn't one of those OPKW threads :P)

So, I've been wondering about this for some time but why can OKW Base Defence/Flak Truck shoot down aircraft (cargo aircraft I'm looking for you).

Apparently counterplay for esp cargo aircraft involves building your own AAA which every faction seems to have an option, OKW too.

But to me, it doesn't really make sense if you get rewarded as OKW for maintaining your home base or upgrading a base building.

Proposed changes: Base buildings and OKW flak base truck cannot target air.

Comment here as to what you think about this and whether you agree or disagree with it.
21 Jan 2016, 21:46 PM

What the garden is the point of AA if it can't be Anti-Air?
21 Jan 2016, 22:31 PM

Permanently Banned
Do the okw base flaks even damage aircraft?
21 Jan 2016, 22:53 PM

I believe Relic is aware of the issue. They were supposed to change the incoming direction of the plane but for some reason the change didn't make it through.
21 Jan 2016, 22:59 PM

Permanently Banned
I don't understand why planes would come from any direction but your own base. Planes coming in from enemy territory doesn't make much sense.
21 Jan 2016, 23:17 PM

I can ask a similar question

Whats the point of Air abilities, especially supply planes, against OKW in this current form?

If you want AAA like every other faction, build it, don't just use base buildings to shoot planes down for you.

Essentially, getting AAA should be a conscious decision, not one the game gives to you already.
21 Jan 2016, 23:36 PM

the okw schweres hq is not that good in shooting down planes. ok, one out of ten times it´s lucky and shooting down a plane. the aa´s in the base are not able to damage aircraft anymore, as far as i know. maybe i'm wrong at this point.
i´ve seen recon planes flying the hole peroid of time flying right above my flak hq without being shot down.
if i want to make sure that planes are destroyed, i´d build an aa halftrack or similar possibilies like any other faction would do too.

so i really dont get the point of complaining about the flak hq´s aa ability..
21 Jan 2016, 23:43 PM

Would be better to have the base guns shoot at planes and do no damage. At least that would look cooler and more realistic.

Flak truck should be able to shoot at planes imo.
22 Jan 2016, 00:28 AM

Flak truck shouldn't be able to shoot down aircraft. It's bad enough that it can penetrate medium tanks. I don't see any other factions getting free AA.
22 Jan 2016, 01:11 AM

Schwerer has a fair chance to down an aircraft (about 7%/shot if it hasn't been changed). It's probably getting a side upgrade cost, which would justify the AA imo.

Doesn't the base AA have 0.5% chance/shot to down a plane? Or has it been completely removed?
22 Jan 2016, 01:25 AM

I thought base AA shooting at planes was just cosmetic now...
22 Jan 2016, 09:12 AM
Patrion 28

originally it made a bit of sense because OKW had a hard time getting out armour and were highly defensive. the AA gun on their t3 allowed them to defend an important area against loiters without having to go t2. this is sort of bullshit though because all the other factions against brits have to make the decision to go the tier with their AA if they want it (OKW included) but OKW also get's free bonus AA on both their base defense (admittedly shitty AA) and their t3. they also have AA options in 2 of 7 doctrines. OKH can get a lot of AA by upgrading units but OKW has the easiest access to strong AA. given how simple the aircraft/AA mechanics are in the game i'm not hugely bothered because there isn't a simple fix but it is annoying.

Schwerer has a fair chance to down an aircraft (about 7%/shot if it hasn't been changed). It's probably getting a side upgrade cost, which would justify the AA imo.

Doesn't the base AA have 0.5% chance/shot to down a plane? Or has it been completely removed?

I thought base AA shooting at planes was just cosmetic now...

it has a chance but it's very small. in general the base AA (NOT the buildable) is negligible but it can theoretically do it.
22 Jan 2016, 09:17 AM

Whats the point of PTRS anti material rifle if it can't destroy HMGs anymore?

Or better one-whats the point of highly effective, free AA if resources for AA HT aren't issue anymore?

@RedDevilCG
There is still low chance to take down the plane with them.
22 Jan 2016, 15:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2016, 09:17 AMKatitof

Or better one-whats the point of highly effective, free AA if resources for AA HT aren't issue anymore?

@RedDevilCG
There is still low chance to take down the plane with them.
Are you talking about the same thing here? You seem to be saying two things about the base turrets.....
22 Jan 2016, 16:17 PM

Are you talking about the same thing here? You seem to be saying two things about the base turrets.....

Schwerer HQ=good, reliable, free AA bonus.

Base flaks=low chance to shoot down a plane, but a chance nevertheless.
22 Jan 2016, 16:35 PM

Base flak guns are a bit problematic shooting down planes. They're always there at game start with OKW, removed from all player control.

Schwerer is fine. It's a player choice when to build it, skipping a tier or not, and it costs a bunch of fuel. It's nice that it is unable to set up in Victory Point sectors, but many maps have non VP territory that covers VPs, or the route to them, very easily.

The AA capabilities of the Schwerer doesn't come at an extra cost, and can be considered a free bonus, but to conflate that function as the primary use of the truck would be misleading.
22 Jan 2016, 16:54 PM

Just need to add a side-upgrade that enables the AA functionality of the Schwerer and it'll be fine. Countering Loiters and Supply Drops should be a conscious counter-play choice on the part of players - it at least opens the door for non-Meta commanders like Soviet Industry to be used by extending the window of safer Supply drops instead of "Why bother? - T4 building is just going to make Supply drops risky and unattractive"
22 Jan 2016, 22:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2016, 16:17 PMKatitof

Schwerer HQ=good, reliable, free AA bonus.

Base flaks=low chance to shoot down a plane, but a chance nevertheless.
Okay, that makes more sense. BTW, the Schwerer isn't free. Do you mean it doesn't cost munitions? Because it definitely costs manpower and fuel.
22 Jan 2016, 22:07 PM

I don't understand why planes would come from any direction but your own base. Planes coming in from enemy territory doesn't make much sense.

A good amount of Lend-and-Lease stuff was shipped over the Atlantic ocean in the north and was target of german intercepters. That's basically what those supply planes coming through enemy territory represent. However, the main reason is obviously the possibility of counterplay for the opponent.
22 Jan 2016, 22:09 PM

Okay, that makes more sense. BTW, the Schwerer isn't free. Do you mean it doesn't cost munitions? Because it definitely costs manpower and fuel.

Tech building costs as much as other tech buildings and nothing more.

AA gun on it is a leftover, completely free bonus perk from the time when OKW had lower income and needed some stuff to compensate.

At the moment the AA gun part of schwerer is completely free bonus you're not paying anything for.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★