Login

russian armor

Axis panzershrek spam blobs- i'm losing it

• This thread is locked
PAGES (5)down
20 Jan 2016, 19:54 PM

I have well over 400h clocked into this game, so to contextualize my frustration ( in other words, i'm not a noob).

I'm at my wit's end with panzershrek spam blobs... ever since last big balance patch, it is all i see from axis players, its so cheap and fuel efficient, after their done wearing any combined army down with sheer repetition then comes the non stop tank train.

From a 2v2 and up perspective.

Anything else other then counter blob spam to counter this massive wheel of swiss cheese?
20 Jan 2016, 19:58 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

MGs, arty, mines, demo charges, mortars, kiting?
20 Jan 2016, 20:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2016, 19:58 PMTobis
MGs, arty, mines, demo charges, mortars, kiting?

Yes i did try, but having to coordinate all that is micro overload when all these players do is just simply Attack move and call it a day.

I've managed to win like that, but the burden will always be on me to multitask to no end, while he spams shreks, abilities and tanks.
20 Jan 2016, 20:51 PM
Patrion 26

It is tiresome, especially when you know it will end with panther+tiger spam in the late game.

Demos wipe squads, as do mines, but there are always one or two models left on half the squads, which are retreated and losses replaced quickly, whilst replacement squads are built.

This could easily be fixed by making MGs and mortars more deadly vs blobs. I really have no idea why Relic don't do that.
20 Jan 2016, 20:55 PM

I think the issue is not killing volks but killing entire squads to ensure that shrek doesn't make it back to reinforce with vet.

20 Jan 2016, 21:01 PM
Donator 11

Forawrd retreat points, Fast reinforce time, cheap units, potentate vet, rather high long to midrange accuracy on the pshrek.

These issue above are all problematic in 2v2's in up in relation with OKW

The forward retreat points being the big hitting point as OKW is easily able to just smash the T key whenever they feel thretend. They will get half the retreat time, cheaper reinforce than USF/brits, and reinforce faster.

Kiting simply doesn't work due to the long range accuracy of the pshrek, sure it was reduced but 3/4 shots will often connect and to put that in prospective thats almost a whole Sherman.
20 Jan 2016, 21:06 PM
Patrion 14

If you play usf its hard, and micro intensive, sov and brits can easily counter it....
20 Jan 2016, 21:08 PM

It's pretty frustrating indeed I think half the trick is to realize early that you're facing a shrek blobber and take steps to punish it early before that can start to snowball too bad - once that happens it just gets to be too much of an uphill battle.

E.g. Start laying demos down and actively baiting them towards them, buy an AA HT, rocket artillery, pick commanders with anti-blob off maps etc. If you can start to force mass retreats early enough you can get enough map control to push things in your favor at choke points on certain maps and so on and so forth.

Honestly I think this is half the reason why Calliope commander is so popular - it's almost a requirement for your loadout for these kind of matches.

That and I find that you have to realize when to retreat early so that weapon teams and lone squads don't get wiped easily just by. sheer numbers
20 Jan 2016, 21:28 PM

What game modes are you seeing this in? It would help us suggest ideas for ways to counter it.

No matter what you play blobs are gonna exist, but finishing one off can be so satisfying.
20 Jan 2016, 21:42 PM

When you have trouble countering something try using it yourself and she how your opponents deal with it.

In this case play OKW and blob and see how your opponents counter it...

I am under the impression though that type of threads or meant for ask the strategist section and not balance...
20 Jan 2016, 22:03 PM

What game modes are you seeing this in? It would help us suggest ideas for ways to counter it.

No matter what you play blobs are gonna exist, but finishing one off can be so satisfying.

2v2 and 3v3.
20 Jan 2016, 22:05 PM

As Soviets, use MGs, Guards (who can trade some blows with the blob or grenade), microed T-70, SU-76 barrage, and mines to contain the blob. If you can get it under control and avoid them having enough fuel to get a Panther, the Katyusha can often spell the doom of a blob. Spot their medic truck, force the blob to retreat, barrage away.

In urban maps subtituting guards for shocks is a possibility, but can be risky, you want Guards to be around in case of a Luchs. Maxims, however, are more or less required vs OKW I find, you simply won't be able to effectively fight them off with just conscripts early game.
20 Jan 2016, 22:25 PM

As Soviets, use MGs, Guards (who can trade some blows with the blob or grenade), microed T-70, SU-76 barrage, and mines to contain the blob. If you can get it under control and avoid them having enough fuel to get a Panther, the Katyusha can often spell the doom of a blob. Spot their medic truck, force the blob to retreat, barrage away.

In urban maps subtituting guards for shocks is a possibility, but can be risky, you want Guards to be around in case of a Luchs. Maxims, however, are more or less required vs OKW I find, you simply won't be able to effectively fight them off with just conscripts early game.

My issues with mines and demo charges is it requires ample map control, lots of ammo...and still its not a wipe guarantee. At one point i just have to give up on demo/mine planting because the pressure is constant and any retreating unit will take a long ass time to get back up into the fray.

It is fun strategy though.

Conscripts i don't build more then 2 nowadays, they just die too quickly and have no weapon upgrades to carry them to late game.

Might try the katyusha again, but that is soviet specific only, brits are so screwed vs panzershrek blobs, all their heavy counters are effing static, non-doctrinal arty is useless and no rocket spamming vehicle to exploit like everyone else.

20 Jan 2016, 22:38 PM

Just play as OKW and learn from how you lose.
20 Jan 2016, 22:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2016, 22:38 PMRappy
Just play as OKW and learn from how you lose.

I did play OKW, but because i'm not a-hole i restrained myself from employing that cheesy tactic which i despise.
20 Jan 2016, 22:54 PM

I did play OKW, but because i'm not a massive a-hole i restrained myself from employing that cheesy tactic which i despise.

I always thank any OKW player who refrains from volkshrek blobbing into panthers. Not because I can't handle a blob (although USF/OKW blobbing is far too rewarding at present) but because it was something DIFFERENT to play against.

playing vs OKW gets so stale these days and I love it when a player mixes it up a bit.
20 Jan 2016, 23:06 PM

Yes i did try, but having to coordinate all that is micro overload when all these players do is just simply Attack move and call it a day.

I've managed to win like that, but the burden will always be on me to multitask to no end, while he spams shreks, abilities and tanks.

its really hard this one, what army u mainly having trouble with
20 Jan 2016, 23:24 PM

Permanently Banned
No clue how people still lose to shreck blobs. Shrecked volks at vet 5 are still inferior to all other allied baseline infantry. And can be kited with any vehicle. If its a blob? Why aren't you laying mines that destroy like 7 models a piece or demoes to destroy the entire blob at once. Volks reinforce for 25, a shreck blob might be good for pushing, but learn how to grind it down and your opponent is fucked.
21 Jan 2016, 00:01 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Two HMGs is pretty much the easiest counter to them. Put them in a control group behind your frontlines, have them attack-move blobs back when your frontlines see them.
21 Jan 2016, 01:20 AM

From your posts I picture you play soviets?

It can be micro intensive to counter blobs, but you can always "Smart" blob back. What I mean is that you attack move your army(as in the 2 mg's attack move with you) allowing them to auto setup and pelt the crap out of the blob while you blob at them.

That or you can use shock troops. I imagine a blob of those would be awfully scary against volks.

I don't advocate blobbing, but sometimes it's the easier to out blob your opponent if you are better at it.

Also as Vuther says, 1 mg does not counter a blob, it takes 2.
PAGES (5)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS