Login

russian armor

Weak Ostwind

11 Dec 2015, 15:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2015, 14:01 PMSwonVIP
Ostwind is totally fine for its costs imo.

Well you need 2 of them with Suppression bulleting (to the mg on it) to fight blobs. Even then you need to kite trough whole map and wish that neither of those ostwinds don't get stuck. Yeah even partisans can run like idiots towards them and shrek them to pieces.

It's decent when you suppress something with MG42 and push ostwind to kill it but mortar will do the same better and cheaper.

Only reason i build them nowadays is that for some reason strafing airplanes seems to hit the ground when i have 1 of these on the field.

Just add suppression to it or damage multiplier when hitting multiple enemies at the same time to discourage blobbing.
11 Dec 2015, 15:43 PM

The oswind is good for cost-inefficient shooting light vehicles. Maybe some planes if vetted.

Yes it's a bad unit.
11 Dec 2015, 15:58 PM

ost its totally fine
11 Dec 2015, 16:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2015, 03:33 AMTobis
The Ostwind seems pretty lackluster to me. There is really no situation where I thought, gee, I wish I had an Ostwind right about now to deal with this infantry. It is not strong enough to justify buying it over the P4 in anti infantry power.

If you compare the Ostwind to the centaur, they both have the same fuel cost but the centaur is far better. I think the Ostwind needs to be brought in line with other AI vehicles. The only other stock anti infantry vehicle Ostheer has is the Brummbar, which while good, is in a much later tier. Since Ostheer has no decent AI light vehicle like the Soviets, USF, and OKW have, this medium AI tank should be buffed to fill the missing role.

What are your thoughts?

Edit to add:
I vote for an increase in the reload speed and fire rate. The Ostwind performs alright when it is actually shooting, but the incredibly long reload leaves any target it is shooting at a long window to run away or turn to fight it while it does nothing.

The centuar WAS far better then it got over nerfed as usual now its useless. Shrek mobs just laugh at it, on the other hand if your allied infantry against a ostwind you have to retreat. Not the case for shrek mobs against the centuar thanks to it being over nerfed.
11 Dec 2015, 16:35 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2015, 13:53 PMJohnnyB

So it's job is to move better than centaur and stay alive. Nevermind it has a popcorn shooter instead of a gun.

Its AOE feels much stronger than the centaur while also seeming like it does more damage to medium armor. while I haven't looked at the stats using the Ostwind always feels like an overall better units.

Maybe I have beer glasses on but I don't think its as bad as people are giving it credit
11 Dec 2015, 18:40 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2015, 16:22 PMRocket

The centuar WAS far better then it got over nerfed as usual now its useless. Shrek mobs just laugh at it, on the other hand if your allied infantry against a ostwind you have to retreat. Not the case for shrek mobs against the centuar thanks to it being over nerfed.

The Centaur is still incredibly powerful for only 100 fuel. It eats ostheer infantry alive and will still chew up volks well if you kite them. One on one the centaur will still kill anything much faster than the Ostwind will, neither can stand up to a blob.
11 Dec 2015, 18:55 PM

I have read some people suggesting giving the Wehrmacht a Whirbelbind and leaving the Ostwind for the OKW.

I love this idea. Where do I have to sign?
11 Dec 2015, 18:59 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I have read some people suggesting giving the Wehrmacht a Whirbelbind and leaving the Ostwind for the OKW.

Right here:

http://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/Careers.aspx?k=Job&c=qds9Vfwt&j=otDT1fwK
11 Dec 2015, 19:10 PM

Make the Ost efficient at what it should be able to do and people will fill the board with endless whining until Relic nerfs the unit again, therefore, keep it the way it is.
11 Dec 2015, 19:16 PM
Donator 33

Lots of this mirroring stuff going on, so the AVRE should clone the Sturm? Ostwinds have a role, they are still excellent against infantry formations.
11 Dec 2015, 19:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2015, 16:22 PMRocket

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2015, 16:35 PMMittens

Its AOE feels much stronger than the centaur while also seeming like it does more damage to medium armor. while I haven't looked at the stats using the Ostwind always feels like an overall better units.

Maybe I have beer glasses on but I don't think its as bad as people are giving it credit

the reason why people think the centaur is "useless", is because they still remember the times when it one shot everything that wasn't a tank before you could retreat. and if that is what we're measuring against, then yes, it's worse.

but if you compare it to the ostwind, like here, you will see that it is still very good against infantry (also keep in mind that the centaur fights 4/5 man squads, while the ostwind can also face 6 man squads.

Saying the Centaur is useless while claiming the Ostwind is fine does seem a bit biased.

11 Dec 2015, 20:14 PM

Permanently Banned

Shouldnt wirbelwind belong to okw? Not the other way around?
11 Dec 2015, 20:16 PM

Why don't the Ostwind/Centaur have suppression like the OKW Flakhalftrack and the Quadmount?
Would it make it too OP?
11 Dec 2015, 20:22 PM
Patrion 14

DPS is too low. The Ostwind is only able to kill stuff if the enemy is to slow to move his units away from it.

One good way to use it, is hull down plus Command-P4.

Increase ROF or add more splashdamage.
11 Dec 2015, 20:37 PM

I feel like it's just inconsistent. At times 1 shot wipes out half the health of a squad, then other times it doesn't do any damage.

Seems to be that it's accuracy on the move is pretty terrible. When standing still it chunks squads repeatedly. Problem is if it's accuracy on the move was better I shudder to think of how screwed squads would be.

I like it and use it over the P4 against massed infantry, could use a tiny buff but anything else would be over the top.
11 Dec 2015, 20:46 PM

It's terrible on accuracy, inconsistent damage, AA abilities are fine tho. Reduce speed, increase infantry damage. I don't think it's right tho to compare it to the centar either, different army different units...
11 Dec 2015, 21:22 PM
Patrion 27

I could see reducing mobility and giving it a little more killing power. But nothing drastic (who am I kidding this is Relic it will be a sledgehammer change.)

Maybe instead of blitz it could get a spraying strafe ability like the Centaur?
11 Dec 2015, 21:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2015, 19:48 PMcr4wler

the reason why people think the centaur is "useless", is because they still remember the times when it one shot everything that wasn't a tank before you could retreat. and if that is what we're measuring against, then yes, it's worse.

but if you compare it to the ostwind, like here, you will see that it is still very good against infantry (also keep in mind that the centaur fights 4/5 man squads, while the ostwind can also face 6 man squads.

Saying the Centaur is useless while claiming the Ostwind is fine does seem a bit biased.

+1
11 Dec 2015, 21:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2015, 19:48 PMcr4wler

mobility is key for survival.

what does that make the centaur, one of the slowest unit in the game?

11 Dec 2015, 21:52 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'd just up its moving scatter or give it tweaks that would otherwise make it easier to kite and shoot effectively with. I don't think it needs anything crazy.

what does that make the centaur, one of the slowest unit in the game?

As existential as its namesake?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS