Login

russian armor

Your most competitive USF commander?

10 Dec 2015, 18:43 PM

So forum, in 1 vs 1, what is your most used/favourite commander? For me, Post patch, it's become armour company, because assault demos, m10 spam, and Bull dozer blob counter, previously it was Rifle company, because Rifle flame blob. But after taking away the P47 Los, what have you all been using as of late.
10 Dec 2015, 18:53 PM
Patrion 14

I take Airborne, Rangers, and Calliope doctrine. I go Rangers if I lost multiple rifles on maps like semois, mech to punish OKW with fast WC51 for kubels and 2 stuarts -> recycle -> fast Sherman, and Calliope commander otherwise.

I have, however, been finding the M20 to be pretty good this patch, since squad wipes are almost a requirement to stay in the game vs. OKW. Especially when they go for a forward retreat point. You just have to micro it much more that you used to.
10 Dec 2015, 18:58 PM

Take notes, newbies, a constructive thread emerges.
10 Dec 2015, 23:39 PM

I take Airborne, Rangers, and Calliope doctrine. I go Rangers if I lost multiple rifles on maps like semois, mech to punish OKW with fast WC51 for kubels and 2 stuarts -> recycle -> fast Sherman, and Calliope commander otherwise.

I have, however, been finding the M20 to be pretty good this patch, since squad wipes are almost a requirement to stay in the game vs. OKW. Especially when they go for a forward retreat point. You just have to micro it much more that you used to.

Wish I could use Rangers, don't want to buy though:*(
10 Dec 2015, 23:54 PM

I use Calliope because i need to punish the shrek blob.
11 Dec 2015, 00:59 AM

Wish I could use Rangers, don't want to buy though:*(

ain't that expensive!

But what's the point in buying a commander for a particular unit or ability when that usually gets nerfed a month or so down the track because.... OMG OP CAN'T HANDLES TOO HARRD
11 Dec 2015, 01:16 AM

ain't that expensive!

But what's the point in buying a commander for a particular unit or ability when that usually gets nerfed a month or so down the track because.... OMG OP CAN'T HANDLES TOO HARRD

Heavy Cav has been out for over a month and there's been no hint of any aspect of the commander being nerfed. The only complaints I've even seen are the 3 second reload time of the Vet 3 Pershing.

To answer OP, I'd have to go with the Calliope Commander, Armor Company, and Heavy Cav as the best USF commanders right now. Rifle Company is still very good because of the Easy 8, but I personally would take Assault Engineers w/ flamers + M10 over RE's w/ flamers & Easy 8.

Calliope just fills a gap in USF's strong core roster by providing the best long range indirect in the game; the M5 AA really helps against blobs; and the M1919 LMGs allow Rifles to scale incredibly well into the late game and shred Axis infantry.

Armor Company I think is overlooked a lot since it's old and free, but Assault Engineers have all sorts of tricks (mines, glorious demo charges, etc.); the M10 is a powerful, cost-efficient, and incredibly fun unit (who doesn't love wide flanks w/ 2-3 M10s crushing infantry and focusing down Axis armor?); the Dozer Sherman (and admittedly overpriced howitzer barrage) round out the commander very well.

Heavy Cav is good mainly because of Rifle Field Defenses and obviously Rangers are very strong and Pershing is a great tank in 1v1, provided you don't try to use it like a KT or Tiger Ace and expect it to single-handedly win the game for you. Smoke barrage also quite useful for getting out of tough spots.
11 Dec 2015, 01:59 AM

By far the strongest commander is the calliope commander. The halftrack has 55 dps close and 11 from far, it kills the flak halftrack and all infantry. Once vetted you can swap the crew into a jackson if you don't win the game by the time king tiger comes.

Indirect fire in CoH is overpowered, the calliope ends games.

Finally the lmgs allow your rifles to trade pound for pound vs volks in the late game, in the late game most cover is destroyed by ballistics and long range fighting becomes the norm ( as running up to a squad in 0 cover for close range advantage will get your rifles killed.)

The only time you are vulnerable with this commander is before the halftrack comes out and if you dont build a captain in time for luchs or no jackson vs KT.

Pershing commander is 2nd, problem with it is that you need a lottt of fuel to build enough jacksons to protect against the KT. But with the fuel cost of KT being patched, the window before KT comes out will allow for a massive swing in tempo.

3rd best commander is the easy 8. The easy 8 is just a beast tank. Only thing that can tame it is mass rocketens or panther( also nerfed fuel cost).
11 Dec 2015, 02:08 AM

Incidentally, as a noob, I have heard that Armor Company is pretty good. However, I haven't found a guide or build order for it. Any such thing would be helpful. Also, as an added question, when should I tech up to BARs/LMG?
11 Dec 2015, 02:31 AM

Incidentally, as a noob, I have heard that Armor Company is pretty good. However, I haven't found a guide or build order for it. Any such thing would be helpful. Also, as an added question, when should I tech up to BARs/LMG?

This depends on what your first shock unit is and your doctrine. If you don't have lmgs in the doctrine you need to make sure BARs don't slow your shock unit. So if you're going to rush an m20, you would get the bars sometime after the m20 ( probably after an ambulance and an mg).

If you're going for an m5 halftrack you need to make sure you have 120 munitions the second it pops out, if you're somehow way ahead on munitions you could grab an LMG.

Basically get them when it doesn't delay anything major, its also a good idea if you suspect/see a vehicle to have enough munitions for a grenade and a rifle grenade.
11 Dec 2015, 02:50 AM

Armor, Airborne, your choice of Pershing, EZ8, or Calliope. (Calliope better in team games).
11 Dec 2015, 02:59 AM

I pretty much only ever play Mechanised.
11 Dec 2015, 05:23 AM

I like the commander with the kv8 flame tank. MVGame
11 Dec 2015, 05:29 AM

CalliOP Doctrine all the way. Seriosuly rocket artillery was the true USF weakness. Now all bets are off!
11 Dec 2015, 19:48 PM

CalliOP Doctrine all the way. Seriosuly rocket artillery was the true USF weakness. Now all bets are off!

Lol, I tried it for the first time yesterday. The clouds have opened up and we have received reliable artillery and suppression platform for the USF.
11 Dec 2015, 19:52 PM

Armor or Rifles, Sometime Reco as 3rd choice.
11 Dec 2015, 20:53 PM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2015, 05:23 AMRemo
I like the commander with the kv8 flame tank. MVGame

Oh em gee HILARIOUS

Airborne, Tactical Support and Pershing

Unfortunately Mechanized and Recon Support which have a lot of potential to be interesting are crap. I have some ideas about that.

12 Dec 2015, 05:50 AM

Oh em gee HILARIOUS

Airborne, Tactical Support and Pershing

Unfortunately Mechanized and Recon Support which have a lot of potential to be interesting are crap. I have some ideas about that.

Um yeah, tried playing airborne yesterday, it just absolutely drains your mp. I don't understand why the MG and At drop can just cost munitions, as they don't come with a bloody crew.
14 Dec 2015, 06:15 AM

Yep & even when you crew em with paras you can't reinforce them by the beacon.
14 Dec 2015, 06:27 AM

Um yeah, tried playing airborne yesterday, it just absolutely drains your mp. I don't understand why the MG and At drop can just cost munitions, as they don't come with a bloody crew.

Airborne is great because it allows you to skip tiers - you have the option of forgoing captain and still getting an AT gun or forgoing LT and grabbing a machine gun. It's all about flexibility. And if you lose a rifleman, calling in a paratrooper to replace the loss is wonderful. Otherwise, yes, they are all large manpower sinks.

Back on topic, I run Infantry, Rifle and Mechanized in 1vs1. I'm finding that I actually pick a commander later in this patch because USF has to be more reactive.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★