Login

russian armor

New player looking for 1vs1 strategies

9 Dec 2015, 19:24 PM

So I bought CoH2 when it was on sale and now I am trying to learn a bit about this game because there is no fun when you have no idea what you are doing :D.

I know 'something' about CoH because I have played CoH1 1vs1 for maybe 1 month(not too much). I don't remember too much because it was long time ago and CoH2 is a lot bigger than CoH1 so probably it doesn't even matter. I remember only USF M8 rush from CoH1.

I am not planning to buy premium commanders. I am interested in Wehrmacht and Soviets. I have Mobile Defense from Wehrmacht and Lend Lease from Soviets but I don't know if they are any good.

I was thinking about Mobile Defense, Blitzkrieg and Festung Support for Wehrmacht. Jaeger Armour is interesting too but I am not sure about this one.

Soviets: Lend Lease, Guard Motor and Combined Arms. I was considering Reserve Army but in my opinion it would have hard times in late game.
14 Dec 2015, 20:48 PM

Best basic ostheer commaders : mobile defense - 75 % of time.
festung armor - 15 % of time

blitzkrieg - 10% of time.

Soviets are more straightfoorward.

Shock frontline with is2
guard coordination with t34/85
and lend lease with sherman are the best ones.

If you have problems with some strat or you need advice , simply create new post here or give us a replay where you get stuck.

We cna also learn you how to put replay here
15 Dec 2015, 13:14 PM

Does anyone even use the t34/85s anymore after they required t3 and t4 to make?
15 Dec 2015, 13:39 PM

Afraid I might create a monster here. But the easiest soviet strat must be conspam with lend lease.

But, obviously Ostheer is the gentlemans faction. :)
As long as you have 3 grenadiers, the rest of your build is purely counters. Trying to figure out what your opponent is doing next is what it's all about. He's going for m20? Get SC. Stuart? Get AT-gun. Etc..
15 Dec 2015, 17:47 PM

Does anyone even use the t34/85s anymore after they required t3 and t4 to make?

Yes I use it a lot.

Last days I was experimentating with 3 cons and maxim opening with guards (if you float mp , max guard number 2) into fast quad for extra suression and then rush fast t34/85. It works fairly well. You just need to research AT nades and place some mines after you get quad so you dont get countered by puma (and against OKW also AT gun to counter luchs).

And late game 2-3 t34/85 + some su76 are really good if you use mines , button , snades and ofcourse mark vehicle.

Just my 2 cents
20 Dec 2015, 15:55 PM

http://www.coh2.org/replay/46635/no-idea-how-to-play-this-game-please-help

I am really bad but there is no new players or what the hell? In last game I had some guy with level 100 prestige 3. Is it for real? I have just started playing this game and i keep getting people like this.

It is really not fun to play against experienced players.
20 Dec 2015, 17:54 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

A high level just means that people spent a lot of time playing, but it doesn't even have to be automatch, since playing the campaign or comp-stomping also gives XP. So it really doesn't mean they're good players.

Your first 10 matches in any combination of gamemode and faction will be placement matches, meaning that you get completely random opponents. After that, you'll get a rank and (hopefully) opponents on a fairly similar level!
20 Dec 2015, 17:57 PM

I got this guy after placements.

7 wins 14 losses. No clue how I should play against OKW or OST.
20 Dec 2015, 22:16 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

OKW often means Volks spam at the moment. They will wreck your armor pretty quickly with Schrecks, so I would advise you to go for an infantry-heavy strategy. This is also good because OKW doesn't have a stock MG, their only non-doctrinal suppression platform is the Flak HT, which is not great.
Against Ostheer, it's a little different, they're less spammy, but LMG Grens are still good and they have some of the best support weapons. But that also makes them a fairly static faction, so indirect fire can be pretty strong against them.

Here's a very, very basic (and fairly safe) build order that has often worked pretty well for me. I don't play on a high level at all, though, so this is certainly not the holy grail of Soviet strategies :D

Build T2 right at the beginning. Get a squad of Cons first, then a Maxim. Send those straight to the fuel point you want to focus on while your Engineers start capping in front of your base. Get 2-3 more Cons, another Maxim and a mortar, in an order of your choice. Research Molotovs after that, AT nades if you expect light vehicles.

Lock down important points with your Maxims, they are especially strong in buildings. If there are no good ones nearby, you can also build sandbags for them with your Cons. Your Maxims will be your main weapon against infantry blobs, but they can also hold their own against an MG42. Keep your mortar close to hit suppressed infantry. When you have munitions to spare, lay mines where you think vehicles (or blobs) might attack. Always hold back some munitions for a Molotov or AT grenade, though.

Support Conscript pushes with your mortar by smoking MGs and defensive positions. Don't blob your Cons, otherwise one MG42 (or even MG34) can suppress them all. Attack from multiple directions, use Oorah and Molotovs to flank and kill MG crews. Against Grens and Volks, you will have the upper hand at medium to close range with equal numbers. Try to avoid unfavorable engagements, but don't retreat unless you really have to. You can also give your engineers a flamethrower to make them useful in combat, especially against garrisoned buildings.

You will need some real AT soon. I like to build T3 as early as possible and get an SU-76. Use it like a more mobile AT gun, not like a tank. It has good range and penetration, but won't hurt infantry and can't take many hits. Therefore it's important that you always have your infantry in front of them to protect from Schrecks. The free barrage ability is good against suppressed blobs or support weapons. I often get up to three: This will give you enough AT to hold off Axis mediums, even a Panther, and you can heavily barrage Ost support weapons, OKW blobs (when they're suppressed) or even trucks.
If you're behind on fuel, get a ZiS gun before T3.

After that, get whatever you think is appropriate for the situation. Soviet T4 is not great, so this heavily depends on your chosen commander.
Lend-Lease fits this build pretty well: The PPSh will give your Cons more firepower at close range and you can repair your vehicles quickly. The M4C Sherman is decent and allows you to skip T4, if you want. You might struggle if heavy tanks come out, though. The Assault Guards are not great. The DshK is decent, but 2CP is fairly late for an MG.
Shock Rifle Frontline is obviously good for aggressive play. If you get Shock Troops, use their smoke nades (and smoke from your mortar) to get close and destroy his infantry. You can use incendiary artillery to force his support weapons to pack up. The IS-2 is not that great, but a good option if you struggle with enemy heavy tanks.
Guard Motor coordination is just an all-around good commander. Guards Infantry is great at long range (with LMGs ofc), and the heavy mortar is still pretty strong. The T-34/85 is better than the M4C, if you ask me, but you need to build T4. It doesn't need CPs though, so it might still come earlier. You also have the option to go for a Katyusha if you struggle with infantry blobs or support weapons.

I hope this helps a little. You can also watch some replays to see what the top players build. And there's a mentoring program here that might also be an option:
http://www.coh2.org/forum/69/mentoring
20 Dec 2015, 22:40 PM

Thank you very much. It is pretty complicated even if it is very very basic but I will try to take something from these tips.

The biggest problem for me is aggressive OKW with sturmpioneer spam because they are able to run up and rekt my conscripts in close range. Then I can't shoot because I must run away from close range. Other way with Volks when they catch me in open field or pios when they catch me in close range. The panic is real vs multiple MGs in choke points/good spots like on Semois or Crossing in the Woods.

I will look into this mentoring stuff after I will learn something. I am making too many mistakes at this moment while i am playing. It would be painful for someone to teach me :D.
20 Dec 2015, 23:15 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

If they spam Sturmpios, they're gonna suffer against your Maxims. If you only have Cons nearby, it's a little more difficult. If your squads are in cover, stay there and focus your fire on one Sturmpio squad, they will lose against you at long range or take heavy casualties when trying to get close. Otherwise, you can try to spread out your squads a little so that he can attack only one of them at close range. It's the same against Ost Pios, but they're a lot weaker.
When building a lot of Sturmpios, your enemy will have less squads overall, because they are more expensive than Volks and slow to build, so he sacrifices map presence. You might also be able to just out-cap him in that case.

Against Grens or Volks, you need to get close to win. Sometimes you can use shot blockers or move through cover to minimize casualties. Another option is to just rush for cover using Oorah. Smoke from your mortar can also be really helpful, it arrives fairly quickly if the mortar is already in range.

But generally, Cons will often struggle against equal numbers of Axis infantry, especially in mid-/lategame, because they don't do enough damage. Soviets really depend on either the PPSh upgrade or doctrinal infantry. Combined arms are also important: Always use MGs, mortars and whatever else you have to support your Cons if possible.
20 Dec 2015, 23:57 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Hey Neris, what Planet Smasher said is really good for in-game mechanics, but something frequently overlooked is applicable to any videogame you're playing. Be focused on your game 100% if you can. If that means turning off your phone for the duration of the game, then do it. Being focused really improves your micromanagement: dodging grenades, pressing the retreat button, etc.

I also recommend using hotkeys. In your options menu, under the gameplay tab, you can change hotkey settings from classic to gridkey. What this means is that the abilities you see in the lower right hand of your screen are where they are on the keyboard: qwer asdf zxcv, and weapon upgrades are tgv. Using hotkeys may seem insignificant, but it definitely helps. Time can really be crucial when you're being shot at, taking artillery fire, etc.

tl;dr focus, use hotkeys.

Also, there are some gameplay features that you'll learn that are more nuanced: Molotovs take forever to throw whereas volks incendiary nade is a fraction of the time. When I first played against Wehrmacht, I found it hard to see the rifle-grenade animation on the grenadiers. One thing that I find useful about the katyusha is to know that the first four rockets of the barrage tend to go a little farther than the next two. I always aim a little high with my barrage as a result of this.

Knowing the timing of enemy vehicles or infantry is also important. If you just got T3 up as Soviets at the 12 minute mark, spending fuel on a T70 is probably a bad idea; there's almost certainly an AT gun on the field or maybe a puma depending on commander/faction/tech. It just takes more practice, more time, and careful observation.

Watch your own replays. Maybe you could've pushed on one half of the map but you didn't because you thought your opponent had a huge army over there when in reality they just built a couple of kubels and capped it while you were fighting a volks and sturmpio.

That being said, here's a recent game my friend Choccy and I played.
While I used three maxims, I had a bit of trouble fighting his double kubels: he was more mobile and could cut me off and go around my maxims, however, this is an example where soft/hard counters are outweighed by micro. There's some classic, aggressive Soviet MG gameplay, particularly in the mid game, that allowed me to bring in enfilading fire on some units on the middle VP. Also, never underestimate the power of the SU76. Soviets have a lot of indirect fire that isn't necessarily superb, but it can be massed to overwhelm one's opponent (not to mention flare vet 1 ability for mortars which makes them super accurate... when indirect fire has vision, it makes the auto-fire [not barrage] much more accurate).

I hope this thread helps you out, and keep uploading replays asking for advice! there's a separate replay review section on the forums I believe, and I saw the mentoring link posted in here as well. Don't be afraid to message people on .org or on steam if you encounter them!
21 Dec 2015, 00:17 AM

This replay is from older patch so it doesn't work with current patch client.

Do you have any other good replay?

Maybe Soviets are not my jam... but they look so fun compared to the other factions. USF looks boring as hell. Rifleman, Rifleman, Rifleman, Rifleman. Not too much diversity. UKF looks like underpowered faction.

Same in axis. Wehrmacht looks really fun and diverse. OKW... too many players say that it is OP but their HQ's are a bit confusing for me. OKW can be nerfed soon because it happens to OP stuff in all games.

I would like to play 1 faction from allies and 1 faction from axis.
22 Dec 2015, 12:22 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

http://www.coh2.org/replay/46619/tpi2-r2-paul-vs-burmie-g2

Here's a nice Wehrmacht vs. Soviets replay, it has some great M5 Quad and Sniper usage from Paul.

It's true than infantry-wise, USF usually means Riflemen, because Paratroopers/Rangers/Assault Engineers are not played that much. But they do have quite a bit of variety, especially in commanders. If you have the faction, just try it out for a few matches. If not, you can usually get in on sale for 3 or 4 bucks.

I also prefer Soviets, though. Some stuff about them annoys me, like the mediocre T4 and reliance on doctrinal units, but it's still a great faction.

Wehrmacht is always a good choice. One of the great things about them is that you don't have to choose between having purely offensive or defensive units in the early game (like with Soviet T1 and T2), and they just have a great unit roster in general.

OKW might be a bit strong, while Brits have quite a few problems at the moment, but that will (eventually) get fixed, so just try them out and see if you like the general design of the factions.

Just keep playing and improving, it's completely normal that, as a new player, you might lose more often than you win. The important thing is that you don't give up so easily!
22 Dec 2015, 12:40 PM

Also watch some casts Casters on COH2.
You can learn many things from them.

My favourites are General Genteman (they know the game very well), A_E (his Zoomcasts are awesome, Imperial Dane (he knows the game to but he is a little axis fanboy :D)
Also Tightrope and ATR are good casters. There are also others (Computerheat and Ciez), but both havent done anything for a very long time :(

And one last thing: USE HOTKEYS.

22 Dec 2015, 14:11 PM

I have all online expansions and I am using hotkeys(units, buildings, groups, shift queue). I have problem with managing by group controls. I set groups and then I don't use it too often in late game. Same with tactical map. I keep forgetting that there is something like this.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 31
South Africa 1
Russian Federation 65

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak