Login

russian armor

Company of Heroes 2 vs Company of Heroes (Original)

What game is overall better?
Option Distribution Votes
28%
66%
6%
What game has better gameplay?
29%
69%
2%
Which game has better graphics?
10%
87%
3%
Which game has better balance?
41%
36%
23%
Total votes: 508
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
3 Dec 2015, 01:07 AM

I've been playing company of heroes 2 for about 5 months, and was curious about it's predecessor. I'd like to hear what people like/dislike about Coh2 & Coh1. I'd greatly appreciate if you would go into some detail about the major differences (Such as gameplay, graphics, and balance), and what the strong points are for both of them. I'll also add a poll so people can give me their opinion if they do not wish to post a reply.

Have a wonderful day! :D
~Karbinder
3 Dec 2015, 01:18 AM

I voted for CoH2 in all areas. I went back and played CoH1 recently and I was kind of surprised at how much I looked at it through nostalgia glasses.

There are some small things that start to add up to how clunky it is. Strange hotkeys, reinforcing one at a time, no fence hopping. Add in the fact the unit AI loves to jump out of cover, you get a game that just feels akward. Don't forget jeep and bike pushing, man that was lame. You can still perform it in this game with certain vehicles, but it is no where near as bad.

Balance is suggestive, I prefer CoH2 more. 75% of the british army was worthless, Panzer Elite felt really uninspired. If Wermacht got to vetted grenadiers you basically lost the game. In CoH2 you always stand a chance in coming back, even if it's very slight. CoH1 the game was pretty much over after a certain point. There was also some really cheese tactics such as invincible gren producing bunkers and flame pio spam.

The only things I miss about CoH1 is how much stuff each army had. There were a lot of units with plenty of utility. Then, add in commanders and you have a ton of options. CoH2 is stripped in that regard, and commanders add a bit of flavor, not really define a play style(That's why I loved Mechanized Assault).
3 Dec 2015, 01:23 AM
Patrion 14

no matter what they say, vcoh masterrace :)
3 Dec 2015, 01:24 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

this isnt going to end well

3 Dec 2015, 01:26 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

this isnt going to end well

I can feel Swiftsabre's pain already
3 Dec 2015, 01:27 AM
Patrion 14

At release of COH 2: COH > COH 2

I still remember all the bugs, the p2p servers, the soviet 'patriotic' campaign, the overpriced scenario packs, windustry, tiger ace, etc.

Now that those kinks have been fixed and COH hasn't gotten an update for years on end now; original COH with no mods is beaten by COH 2.
3 Dec 2015, 01:29 AM

i can't wait to have a repeat of http://www.coh2.org/topic/33673/does-coh1-have-a-future

i chose vcoh because...

3 Dec 2015, 01:33 AM

I find that in CoH1, I was ALWAYS losing track of my units. I order a new unit, I forget about it until I look back in my base 5 minutes later.

In CoH2, you have all your units in the top right corner, which I think in ingenious. It tells your if they're in combat, idle, their health. Also, the announcer tells you if a new unit has arrived on the battlefield, and it flashes it on the minimap (correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure CoH1 didn't have this). On the minimap, you can individually tell snipers apart from MGs, AT guns no longer have the same icon as tanks, little things like these really matter.

It's pretty painful every time I try to enjoy CoH1 again, I just feel like it's not as organized.
3 Dec 2015, 03:22 AM

Coh2 all the way, why? Well I been playing since the beginning and I can tell you that all those rosey nostalgic memory of coh are just that, nostalgia. Coh was a mess from the start, it was a mess until the end, only now after so long is it balance, like this new coh it will take time. Don't kid yourself coh2 is better in every aspect.
3 Dec 2015, 03:28 AM

coh 1 all the way
3 Dec 2015, 03:28 AM

Coh>Coh2

To all the people who say its nostaliga, yeah COH wasnt perfect but COH2 is no where near better, in any aspect.

COH2 need to go F2P and work on a deserving sequel or other product needs to start.

Edit: Also, What game do you think all of these "new" recycled commander units are coming from?
3 Dec 2015, 03:33 AM

without brits faction, coh1 is better.
3 Dec 2015, 03:34 AM

vCOH, COH2 still hasn't got in-game pause + bugsplat, wtf Lelic.
3 Dec 2015, 03:47 AM

Great Responses so far! :thumbsup:

Don't forget to vote in the polls if you haven't already, and keep the answers flowing. I wish to get as many points of view as possible. Do not forget that diversity is welcome here (No discrimination here.):D

Once again, have a great day!
~Karbinder
3 Dec 2015, 03:54 AM
Patrion 14

without brits faction, coh1 is better.

I am getting PTSD of 10 infantry section squads all with dual brens in a blob, with triple LT's, and PIAT sappers everywhere.

I blame the triage section medics.
3 Dec 2015, 04:18 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Coh2 definitely has a better UI. Graphics are, obviously, better in coh2. Unless if you played at maximum on vcoh and minimum on coh2...
Anyway.
CoH2 UI and grid hotkey option make it a lot easier to play, I think. I also find it more visceral with the realistic sounds. The early launch days of coh2 were not great for balance (1,000 HP panthers, eh?) but that gritty Eastern Front feel is something I miss quite a bit.
Coh1 armies were fun, although the British had even more emplacement options and the Panzer Elite just had vehicles and fuel upgrades for everything which is rather strange, although Panzer Grenadiers were versatile and very useful.

Anyway, if coh2/coh3 would re-release original factions, that would be...interesting.
But the things that make coh2 better gameplay wise are the better, easier to use UI/hotkeys as well as Truesight.
3 Dec 2015, 04:23 AM
Donator 22

The ONLY thing I liked better about vCoh was the way you could choose which "side" of the doctrine tree you wanted to go down first.

Other than that, I like everything about Coh2 better (in its current state that is).
3 Dec 2015, 05:28 AM

Coh2 is better in all terms (only choosing which side of the commander thing is better).

Oh wait...Coh1 pros were actual pros not some celebs or best-meta-abuser top dogs.:megusta:
3 Dec 2015, 10:03 AM

This is a bit like comparing modern day sporting teams with teams of yesteryear.

Vanilla coh was truely amazing for the time it was released but Brits and Panzer Elite were failures and dragged the game down.

Coh2 suffers from the weight of expectation. It is broader in scope and content but with that more bugs and more design failures.

In the end it is subjective. Coh2 could have been great but is by no means a failure. (Except Okw, i hate those F******).
3 Dec 2015, 10:10 AM
Donator 22

I am going to vote for the game that is currently being supported by the devs. People that play COH1 are like the people that are still playing battlefield 2 (great game), but still, stuck in the past.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★