Login

russian armor

Mines - Wipes.

18 Nov 2015, 17:09 PM

This thread gave me an idea. What if inf squads had a command which told them to spread out from each other, or 'scatter'.

I suppose its too late in the day to wish for something like that.

But even Command & Conquer has it back it the day!! 'X' was for scatter troops :D

This idea was born on this forum months, if not ages ago :P
18 Nov 2015, 17:14 PM

This is out of control.

I just wanted to get some un games today as Ostheer to try fun strats.
But the Brits mines are completly insane.
I walked on 3 times with Pios, and PzGrens.
Result?
All 3 squad wiped.

I belive it's not only issue with Brits mines cause one day OKW mines, during one game, wiped my full health Shocks and Cons.

Im fine with killing 3 models, which leaves chance to escape but it is damn insane when ~ 30ammo AT mine is wiping left and right.

Long long time ago there was a problem like that with SU mine. 35 ammo for wipe. It was fixed, but Im afraid somehow this issue is back again.

Is it true that some time ago Relic increased radius of mines to prevet "ghost" mine doing nothing to the tank? Ive never checked it but it seems, this may be the source of the problem.

Big +1. All mines of all factions need to be fixed to stop them wiping squads so easily. OR the squad-clumping needs to be fixed.
18 Nov 2015, 17:27 PM

This thread gave me an idea. What if inf squads had a command which told them to spread out from each other, or 'scatter'.

I suppose its too late in the day to wish for something like that.

But even Command & Conquer has it back it the day!! 'X' was for scatter troops :D

or use a mechanic which were present in vcoh already. FULL HEALTH squads should not be wiped by a mine under any circumstances.
18 Nov 2015, 17:57 PM

PROACTIVELY.

CLEAR.

MINES.

One mine removed pays for the sweeper.

Two + just waste your opponents munitions.
18 Nov 2015, 18:13 PM

PROACTIVELY.

CLEAR.

MINES.

since im spreading out my units i would need a sweeper for every squad and every vehicle. makes 5-7 pios (each 200mp, 30muns) midgame to not lose my vetted units. thats a good deal!

(seriously, even if you get 3 pios only that still hurts in an even game juts for the sake of not losing a full health vetted squad)
18 Nov 2015, 18:20 PM

since im spreading out my units i would need a sweeper for every squad and every vehicle.

No, not at all. (Although you should keep your sweepers with your vehicle)

Here's what you do. Go play a dozen games and plant mines like crazy. Then, when you're up against someone using mines. Think about where YOU WOULD PUT THEM.

Helps tremendously at not running over mines. Don't blindly run over roads or through gaps or take the quickest path into the strat point etc etc. Also lets you have a pretty good idea on where to send the mine sweepers.

Mine placement is not random. It's largely predictable with experience and in some cases common sense. (Angoville intersection for example) 1, maybe 2 mine sweepers (on larger maps) is plenty.

With vaulting, you can almost always avoid this stuff. The only mines that are kind of bullshit is putting them on the back side of a building by the door where he will never see them from the default camera angle and gibbing his squad when he enters/exits the building.
18 Nov 2015, 19:05 PM

PROACTIVELY.

CLEAR.

MINES.

Yes he wasted 30 munny because you swept 2 mines.

Oh wait there was third one in other side of map and enginners can be everywhere at once (and you dont have time in1vs1 to asweep whole map before making advance) and you guest it . SQUADWIPE.

Or in otherworlds mines should punish player for not having sweepers in terms of fieldpresence and mp bleed not by squadwipes
18 Nov 2015, 19:13 PM

No, not at all. (Although you should keep your sweepers with your vehicle)

Here's what you do. Go play a dozen games and plant mines like crazy. Then, when you're up against someone using mines. Think about where YOU WOULD PUT THEM.

Helps tremendously at not running over mines. Don't blindly run over roads or through gaps or take the quickest path into the strat point etc etc. Also lets you have a pretty good idea on where to send the mine sweepers.

Mine placement is not random. It's largely predictable with experience and in some cases common sense. (Angoville intersection for example) 1, maybe 2 mine sweepers (on larger maps) is plenty.

With vaulting, you can almost always avoid this stuff. The only mines that are kind of bullshit is putting them on the back side of a building by the door where he will never see them from the default camera angle and gibbing his squad when he enters/exits the building.

Yes sweepers are important, and yes you should be actively checking areas for mines frequently, but it is very hard to do in smaller game modes where units are frequently split up into single unit groups and you simply cannot micro that many men.

The AoE was lower before because of balance issues with wipes. Now that we had to increase AoE mines represent too large a threat, as you would expect. There needs to be a solution to deal with this problem that allows players a chance to respond to the threat without sweepers.

Mines, even when detected can be very effective, and a single munitions to munitions cost is not representative for this device. Mines are designed to force opponents to take opportunity cost losses, by slowing attacks, or forcing sweeps before attacks, or prelim arty, etc. Therefore, simply knowing a mine is present and removing it does not automatically mean equal sharing of costs. Even in real life mines rarely do large amounts of damage to armies, but they force decisions to be made which do cause serious and long lasting consequences.
18 Nov 2015, 19:31 PM

Yes sweepers are important, and yes you should be actively checking areas for mines frequently, but it is very hard to do in smaller game modes where units are frequently split up into single unit groups and you simply cannot micro that many men.

Get better at micro then.

Sounds like a skill ceiling issue to me!

18 Nov 2015, 20:26 PM

Also RoTR...

On topic i can assure you all 200 % that the squad bunching is becasue of to make animation look cool instead of actually facilitating the gameplay...or like many said that the programming in essence engine is terribly done, relic would have been better of licensing unreal engine 4

Squad bunching is a game design choice and in a way very much because the players asked for it.

Prior to this the squads would spread out. But that often meant at least one man wasn't behind cover even though you wanted them IN cover. This lead to a lot of squads getting pinned despite reaching cover because Ivan or Klaus were standing away from the wall. So the code was changed so they would all seek cover even it is was fairly small. As I understand it from back then, this is a coding issue and so it has to be "either/or".
Hat
18 Nov 2015, 23:49 PM

Use arty to clear mines. Use vehicles to clear mines. Use infantry to clear mines, etc.
18 Nov 2015, 23:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Nov 2015, 23:49 PMHat

Use infantry to clear mines, etc.
I recommend snipers, they only lose 1 model per mine:guyokay:
19 Nov 2015, 00:48 AM
Patrion 28

how effective mines are comes down to placement. they're not very wipy in the open but placed on corners, where squads bunch up, they usually wipe.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 41
United States 19
unknown 8
Australia 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %