Login

russian armor

Italy-Hungary-Romania faction a good idea?

13 Nov 2015, 21:49 PM

I've been working on an Italian faction mod for awhile now, limited to using existing models as stand-ins. I think I have something that's enjoyable to play and quite unique.

some blatant showing off :P :

and a couple doctrinal units with fancy portraits:
Folgore Paracudutisti
Guastatori (Elite Combat Engineers)
Alpini Light Infantry
Blackshirt Militia

Plenty of scope for interesting units, especially infantry. Italian soldiers were (in)famous for suffering from poor leadership, morale, and substandard equipment, but there were plenty of cases of RIA men fighting as hard as the best in any combatant's army, especially the paratrooper brigades and light infantry units.To reflect that I've got a simple 'morale' system bodged in- non-elite units suffer from various debuffs when outside friendly territory or out of cover. Requisitioning officers removes the debuffs.

Naturally there's a problem implementing heavier vehicles, for the historical reason that none actually existed :P For that reason the Italians play something like the allies- heavy on the infantry, but their vehicle tech tree peaks at the same level as the soviets and USF.

Now I just need playtesters...

This looks awesome!
13 Nov 2015, 22:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2015, 21:17 PMtest101

Great comment, you certainly know your stuff and I agree with your assesment but I was more aiming towards combining the Italians, Hungarians and Romanians into one faction. This way you can actually design around much limitations of each individual one. What is your opinion on that?

Not a huge fan of the combination.
- These three nations didn't work closely together; especially in the case of Hungary and Romania, as they had a long-running animosity towards each other that was only partially put aside when they allied with Germany.
- It ends up being a hodge-podge army that lacks flavour by not being unified. Everyone's speaking in a different accent, naming conventions for equipment and vehicles are all over the place, and so on.
- Very little chance to re-use vehicle chassis, so every vehicle has to be unique and animated separately.

I think a purely Italian, Hungarian, or Romanian faction - with only several models borrowed from the German arsenal to fill in gaps - will do the trick quite nicely. The nice thing about Romanians or Hungarians is that the German equipment they used would've been crewed by their own men (can maintain the national accent, have their own voice lines, can have specific training-based abilities to differentiate from Germans, etc.), where as with German tanks in an Italian faction they'd be German crewed and acting as loaned support.
13 Nov 2015, 22:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2015, 21:25 PMtest101

for that implementation I would suggest the 47mm Cannone da 47/32 M35 rather than the solothurn AT rifle.

Nah, it should be carried by a single soldier and teleport to other one when carrier dies, just like MG42 does.
And have retreat option.
Pretty much pupchen, but without turning radius and dropping gun when crew member dies. And quick setup.
Hux
13 Nov 2015, 22:12 PM
Patrion 14

that was fucking horrific to read... fucking horrific
13 Nov 2015, 22:18 PM

nem
13 Nov 2015, 22:26 PM

Save all this for CoH3 Kappa another hit from expansion packs shouldnt be hit on coh2. I think CoH2 had enough expansion packs :snfPeter:
13 Nov 2015, 22:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2015, 13:38 PMKatitof
I can already see the army theme:

"Faction goal is to provide veterancy source for the opponent at the minimal cost and maximum convenience, badly trained troops and irrelevant armor designs provide excelent target practice for allied factions, while giving the player feeling of being useful while your troops are being murdered by everything and anything while you provide living bullet wall for your german allies".

nice, +1
13 Nov 2015, 22:41 PM

Save all this for CoH3 Kappa another hit from expansion packs shouldnt be hit on coh2. I think CoH2 had enough expansion packs :snfPeter:

I don't think they are going to make a third company of heroes soon. Relic did say that they saw coh2 as a "platfrom" to build on for the foreseeable future. I think they want to build further on the existing framework that they have and expand it continiously rather than starting over and having to do most of the work they already did again. This approach would also help them get into E-sports better. I'm not opposed to this idea.
14 Nov 2015, 01:03 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2015, 13:38 PMKatitof
I can already see the army theme:

"Faction goal is to provide veterancy source for the opponent at the minimal cost and maximum convenience, badly trained troops and irrelevant armor designs provide excelent target practice for allied factions, while giving the player feeling of being useful while your troops are being murdered by everything and anything while you provide living bullet wall for your german allies".

Poles and Russians had the same role.
14 Nov 2015, 13:33 PM

Anything that's not another German faction is a good idea
14 Nov 2015, 13:46 PM

Moon nazis coming.
19 Nov 2015, 14:44 PM

How about pacific company?
You guys forgot about Japs! Kamikadze on the planes, maps with jungles...may be NPC civilians, who could be killed.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★