Login

russian armor

What are soviet guards good for?

6 Nov 2015, 10:00 AM

Usually i'm using shock troops. But lately i'm trying out different strategies and i have no idea of what guards are good for.
Their average against infantry and cant really do anything against anything heavier than a halftruck.

so, what are these good for?
6 Nov 2015, 10:05 AM

Long range combat.
They are nice way to protect a build with snipers vs Scoutcars etc. They allow you to skip T2, So T1 + T3. They have DP28 LMG wich are not bad at all. Great inside buildings, good nades aswell.
6 Nov 2015, 10:07 AM

Long range combat.
They are nice way to protect a build with snipers vs Scoutcars etc. They allow you to skip T2, So T1 + T3. They have DP28 LMG wich are not bad at all. Great inside buildings, good nades aswell.

but if you skip t2 you wont have access to the MG
6 Nov 2015, 10:08 AM

They are good for dying under indirect fire as 4 of 6 models require to remain static to fire.

EDIT: oh, how could I forget... also - DANCING! DANCING IN THE RAIN OF MORTAR SHELLS! (watch that gif in my sig)
6 Nov 2015, 10:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Nov 2015, 10:07 AMMaist

but if you skip t2 you wont have access to the MG

Why do you need MG when you have snipers and guards? Also quick T3 wich means you can get Halftrack with quad or somthing.
6 Nov 2015, 10:11 AM
Patrion 15

Generally I use them as a stop-gap light AT if I've gone t1. OST will very likely go 222 if you've gone m3 which guards counter nicely. They also do well against all OKW vehicles up to the pIV which gives a huge window, but I do agree they're not as good against volk spam which is pretty prevalent. They aren't bad at all, just the units they work well with - sov t1 - and the units they counter aren't much used at the moment.
6 Nov 2015, 10:12 AM

They are good for dying under indirect fire as 4 of 6 models require to remain static to fire.

EDIT: oh, how could I forget... also - DANCING! DANCING IN THE RAIN OF MORTAR SHELLS! (watch that gif in my sig)

cant really understand whats going on there :D
6 Nov 2015, 10:18 AM

Guards have a singular feature which prevents them from being reliable and relic refuses to get rid of it. Funny thing is, guards are the ONLY squad like this.

And this feature is this:

4 stationary weapons for squad who seems to have pinworms or something.
6 Nov 2015, 10:19 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Guards have a singular feature which prevents them from being reliable and relic refuses to get rid of it. Funny thing is, guards are the ONLY squad like this.

Captain and LT would like a word with you as they also share the guard-plan.

Anyways, Guards should always be behind cover when fighting so make sure to bring a few conscripts to build them some sandbags to fight from. Guards are rather expensive per model at 27mp, despite their weapons being worse compared to their similar costing counterparts (rifles, tommies, grens). They do work well alongside T1, though if you're on an open map and you want a long-range squad, get Guards as Soviets only have snipers for anything that's semi-decent at range outside of support weapons.
6 Nov 2015, 10:20 AM

Captain and LT would like a word with you as they also share the guard-plan.

LT have weapon kit that works perfectly fine on the move.

While captain likes to dance a little, it needs just a moment to shoot, guards require to be stationary all the time if they are to remain useful in combat.
6 Nov 2015, 10:28 AM

Just don't right click enemy troops, use the stop command instead and they won't dance.

With DP-28s I'd say they are one of the most cost-efficient squads in the game due to really good vet. They also have amazing utility in the form of second best nade and button vehicle.
6 Nov 2015, 10:32 AM

+10000000
They are very good at dancing.
6 Nov 2015, 10:35 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Nov 2015, 10:12 AMMaist

ElSlayer and Katitof are right. These damn dance ruined everything.
Still you can use for guards in 1x1 to ward off Germans squad with rifles, if you have a DP. Or scare some Luchs, Puma, or 222. People use them like snipers bodyguards.
6 Nov 2015, 10:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Nov 2015, 10:12 AMMaist

Just watch how long it took for them to finally make first shot from PTRS (which, by the way hit wall right next to them)

6 Nov 2015, 10:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Nov 2015, 10:28 AMMuxsus
Just don't right click enemy troops, use the stop command instead and they won't dance.

With DP-28s I'd say they are one of the most cost-efficient squads in the game due to really good vet. They also have amazing utility in the form of second best nade and button vehicle.

They still will.
Its easier to control them when there is absolutely no cover around, but put some yellow in the vicinity and they will go batshit crazy.

They have good stats and scaling, they simply suffer from retarded AI.
6 Nov 2015, 13:35 PM
Donator 33

Only good thing about Guards AI behaviour is that they will usually be in cover, but then half of the squad might get blown off by a mortar or a tank shell due to bunching up (AT infantry in COH 1 liked to dance around like Guards before firing their bazooka / panzerschreck, even snipers did it before firing, but then Relic changed their AI behaviour and the 2 sniper META started from that)
6 Nov 2015, 14:57 PM

Guards can drop lots of weapon for your foes.
6 Nov 2015, 15:26 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

LT have weapon kit that works perfectly fine on the move.

While captain likes to dance a little, it needs just a moment to shoot, guards require to be stationary all the time if they are to remain useful in combat.

I've missed a fair share of wipes with the LT because of his pre-war dance background.

Sad that this could be fixed with a copy paste. But oh well
6 Nov 2015, 15:31 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Nov 2015, 10:11 AMUS3K
Generally I use them as a stop-gap light AT if I've gone t1. OST will very likely go 222 if you've gone m3 which guards counter nicely. They also do well against all OKW vehicles up to the pIV which gives a huge window, but I do agree they're not as good against volk spam which is pretty prevalent. They aren't bad at all, just the units they work well with - sov t1 - and the units they counter aren't much used at the moment.

There is one problem, AT partisants do that job much better right now, what makes guards quite obsolete.
6 Nov 2015, 15:46 PM

They are good for holding 222s and even Luches at bay. En Masse they shouldn't be ignored for at least giving PZ4s something to think about - if the Axis player is being really aggressive and driving into your lines its pretty easy to get rear shots off on them.

Button vehicle is really really good and one of my favorite abilities that is frankly underused IMO. Great for either "pinning" tanks to finish them off or allowing your own tanks to escape.

There is one problem, AT partisants do that job much better right now, what makes guards quite obsolete.

True, but AT partisans are more of a hardcounter with basically no AI - Guards give you a more all-rounder unit which situationally can be better.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★