Login

russian armor

Maxim Spam + SU85 (aka attack move win)

30 Jun 2013, 08:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2013, 07:07 AMAdder

This gives you more capping power early and hides the fact that you're going maxims, but it also is a significant MP investment early as well as a source of bleeding MP. One of the virtues of going mostly Maxims is that your reinforcement costs are low, because either you get the suppress or you get flanked badly enough that it's an obvious instant retreat.

Capping power I think is the biggest advantage early the Soviets have because conscripts are shit right out of the HQ, instead of T1. As long as you play your cards right, you shouldnt bleed any more MP than the axis player

In any case, I think maxims are most effective when supported by other units (conscripts) anyway
1 Jul 2013, 16:16 PM

so I play today against maxim spammer guy was level 70(I know level dont count much) but still so if your micro is decent u shuld win against that
3 Jul 2013, 03:51 AM

The problem with early Maxin build is you're basically giving up early map control. You aren't going to be able dislodge the Germans inside building unless you build a mortar or Zis. This allows Germans to get an early flameHT which will destroy any T2 unit on the field. If an Ostwin gets out early enough, its good game.

Maxim spam works a bit better in team games with the other going clown/flamer/sniper.
3 Jul 2013, 04:00 AM

The problem with early Maxin build is you're basically giving up early map control. You aren't going to be able dislodge the Germans inside building unless you build a mortar or Zis.

Combat Engineer with flamethrower?

And there's no way to stop flammenwerfer HT unless your opponent is hopeless incompetent. It costs way too little fuel and munitions (which is fine) to be realistically deniable.

Guards, mines, and mark vehicle are all very effective at keeping the halftrack away until you reach either T3 or T4.
3 Jul 2013, 05:22 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jul 2013, 04:00 AMAdder

Combat Engineer with flamethrower?

And there's no way to stop flammenwerfer HT unless your opponent is hopeless incompetent. It costs way too little fuel and munitions (which is fine) to be realistically deniable.

Guards, mines, and mark vehicle are all very effective at keeping the halftrack away until you reach either T3 or T4.

You can easily have a flamewagon out before he has Guards. Especially if he's spamming maxims, as his cps will be lower than a heavy conscript start. Also, if he's heavy Maximing, he doesn't have Guard scout cars. You can easily micro your flame HT away from Guards on foot, especially if you have smoke (which makes early Zis guns useless outside of barrage).

Engi flamers aren't touching Pgrens, which you can have out in like 3 minutes if you're rushing Flamewagon.

There is a reason the recent tournament was dominates by clowncar spam, not Maxims. Maxims are really good and I think they can be worth back teching to, or T1->T2 if you can properly deny fuel and get early map control. But rush spamming them is easily counterable since Soviets basically cede their early game cap power.
3 Jul 2013, 05:38 AM

You can easily have a flamewagon out before he has Guards. Especially if he's spamming maxims, as his cps will be lower than a heavy conscript start. Also, if he's heavy Maximing, he doesn't have Guard scout cars. You can easily micro your flame HT away from Guards on foot, especially if you have smoke (which makes early Zis guns useless outside of barrage).

Engi flamers aren't touching Pgrens, which you can have out in like 3 minutes if you're rushing Flamewagon.

I'd like to play some games with you then if you're up for it. I haven't yet had a game where my opponent was able to get a halftrack and upgrade it before I was able to get a Guards squad out, so maybe you've found some timing attack that I've yet to encounter. If so, maybe that means I can go back to playing Germans again :-)
3 Jul 2013, 05:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jul 2013, 05:38 AMAdder

I'd like to play some games with you then if you're up for it. I haven't yet had a game where my opponent was able to get a halftrack and upgrade it before I was able to get a Guards squad out, so maybe you've found some timing attack that I've yet to encounter. If so, maybe that means I can go back to playing Germans again :-)

I don't what to tell you, if you're losing to Maxim spam as Germans you're doing it wrong. Clowncars are what is dominating 1v1 currently and the tournament proved that fact.

You don't even have to have the HT upgraded to beat Maxim intial spam. Just drop off Pgrens right on their ass, which will be possible since Soviets will be forced to spread out their Maxims in order to hold key points if they are being spammed.
3 Jul 2013, 16:52 PM

I would like to play ur maxim spam add me on steam adder same name as here
17 Jul 2013, 06:47 AM

No Matter what faction I play a sniper is always the first thing I build. if you are good enough with micro an mg is just a loss of manpower. (the bigger mg squad of the Russians does pose a challenge though)
17 Jul 2013, 07:16 AM

I was wondering how this strat works now we've had a balance patch. Anyone like to comment on that? I could use a new opening strat as I seem to be failing with the clowncars or heavy conscripts at the moment.
raw
21 Jul 2013, 20:36 PM

After about 100 games of using the scout car I went back to this strat, because the support weapon kompaneya/maxim gives you more staying power, better map control and allows for a larger room of error. If you open up with the tent, after you have lost the scout car you'll get pushed in hard and may not be able to recover from that vs. a decent enemy.

You can also get the Zis-26 when things go haywire in midgame.
24 Jul 2013, 13:00 PM

WEll The subject is good.

I have read the conscript spam 4 cons+molotov+AT grenade etc just before this. I used a lot of different tactics but my build order is a mixture of them and seems non-stop.

Comments will be appreciated.

1. Eng. Builds Maxim-Mortar-Zis Building
2. While building the support weapon building I start to build a conscript as soon as I got 240 MP
3. Then eng will go out for the fuel point.
4. Conscript backs up the engineer and connects the FP to base.
5. Maxim
6. Mortar
7. Zis
8. Conscript
9. Maxim
10 At this point engineer builds the Tankoviy Battalion Command.
11. Halftrack and Anti-air upgrade.
if MP or fuel not enough. They will mine strategic points.

We have reached the middle game.

Ofcourse the units i build do not sit as duck but capture points. Very close to the end of the opening and entering the middle stages of the game I make more Zis nd go capture by at least 2 units. Mostly with maxim+cons.

I was loosing quite much before me and my friend started using this. Now the majority of the games are won only if the oppenent is way too faster than you.

24 Jul 2013, 13:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jul 2013, 20:36 PMraw
After about 100 games of using the scout car I went back to this strat, because the support weapon kompaneya/maxim gives you more staying power, better map control and allows for a larger room of error. If you open up with the tent, after you have lost the scout car you'll get pushed in hard and may not be able to recover from that vs. a decent enemy.

You can also get the Zis-26 when things go haywire in midgame.

I never use maxims ever now unless I start seeing more than one PanzerGren squad. Even then I prefer a sniper or 2 to beat the PG's.

And the scout car is more for MG's in buildings and cutting their supply lines, never put it near an enemy unit.

Your tactical play will never improve if you feel you have to have Maxims to control the map as they need no micro, just sit and wait. One thing I learnt in this game is you need confidence in yourself and your tactical thinking to win a game vs a good player. Maxim spam to get control will not improve your game or your micro skills.

Check out HelpingHans replays as Russians, you won't see no Maxims and he wins against equally as good players. I learnt a lot from his replays, he is a very impressive high level player.
24 Jul 2013, 16:11 PM

I don't know what y'all be talking about, but are you seriously saying maxims are overpowered? ah
hahaA
HAHAH
ahAHA
AHAHAAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAH
AHA
AHAAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What about Wermacht bunker MGs? you could tech up and get a flammenwerfer, or a mortar squad or two.

didn't read thread tho.
24 Jul 2013, 19:44 PM

I don't know what y'all be talking about, but are you seriously saying maxims are overpowered? ah
hahaA
HAHAH
ahAHA
AHAHAAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAH
AHA
AHAAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What about Wermacht bunker MGs? you could tech up and get a flammenwerfer, or a mortar squad or two.

didn't read thread tho.

If you're losing because of bunkers I don't even know what to tell you. Nobody at top or frankly even middle tier play ever builds them with the exception of a healing one in the base and maybe at the very end game to help secure a VP.

I've not found FHT to be a problem if going heavy maxims. Since you have literally nothing but flamer engi to spend munis on, just mine spam and it'll hit one almost certainly and either go down to guards or a Zis or a tank if you're rushing one.

See above. Also, 120 munitions upgrade is way too little? I agree it's an effective unit when used properly and punishing if you've messed up early, but after all its tweaks I think it's just fine when playing against it.
24 Jul 2013, 23:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2013, 19:44 PMShazz

If you're losing because of bunkers I don't even know what to tell you. Nobody at top or frankly even middle tier play ever builds them with the exception of a healing one in the base and maybe at the very end game to help secure a VP.

I've not found FHT to be a problem if going heavy maxims. Since you have literally nothing but flamer engi to spend munis on, just mine spam and it'll hit one almost certainly and either go down to guards or a Zis or a tank if you're rushing one.

See above. Also, 120 munitions upgrade is way too little? I agree it's an effective unit when used properly and punishing if you've messed up early, but after all its tweaks I think it's just fine when playing against it.

A well placed bunker with support is impossible to destroy without a ZiS-3 barrage or armor.
25 Jul 2013, 16:13 PM

I think, op, that you must be playing against people that don't know the fundamentals of COH. I like to use maxims myself to engage mg s and distract them while my conscripts come from behind. That being said a maxim is pretty easy to flank and a nade bundled or rifle almost always knock it down to two or three men, also you can almost always get a nade off sure to weak suppression. Russains already don't have many viable options lets not take away from their viability even more.
31 Jul 2013, 00:25 AM

This is a strong build, but it has some disadvantages.

-The t2 building takes a long time to build and you are already behind in the capping race by committing to it early.

-The maxim is slow to suppress and therefore makes them vulnerable to rifle grenades, even head on.

-Flametrack

I haven't personally felt overwhelmed by this strategy, especially in 1v1.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 30
unknown 6

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment