Login

russian armor

New to COH2 from COH1 - why does input feel like garden?

31 Oct 2015, 15:40 PM

This existed when I played the game when it came out...

I seem to constantly have to re-click on a button, or make a deliberate click, to get an "effect". I want to quicly throw a grenade, click a tier and build a unit, something... and I realize I have not clicked the unit, it doesn't retreat, or throw a nade, etc if I did it with the speed with which I used in COH1.

In this game I have to mouse over something and then
....c l i c k..... carefully... m a y b e t w i c e...
and then throw the nade.

Is there some setting that is wrong? Is there some sort of lag? (For the record, I am in New York, not sure if that affects battle servers though it shouldn't.)
31 Oct 2015, 15:51 PM

The problem is not with you but with the game. Relic don't really want to optimize the game more that what is right now.

You are not the only one to have this issues :(.

Battle servers are on the East Coast so you should be fine on that.

Here you can read more on the problem.
31 Oct 2015, 16:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Oct 2015, 15:51 PMAstarot
The problem is not with you but with the game. Relic don't really want to optimize the game more that what is right now.

You are not the only one to have this issues :(.

Battle servers are on the East Coast so you should be fine on that.

Maybe it's me but I am finding it hard to accept that that is the answer. It feels seriously laggy compared to the instant responses of COH1.

Are there any tricks to getting around it? Are hotkeys better than mouse clicks? Are there mouse settings that will in some way increase the chance a mouse click gets registered?

How does a game in 2015 get away with charging "full price" (into 3 figures for all content) when it can't log a mouse click properly? We know it isn't the battleservers since they didn't exist in the beginning.

I am trying to figure out if I am not enjoying it because of the game or because of this input.

I am trying to accomodate to the changes: Blob "counters" don't seem to be actual hard counters, more like soft ones you have to spam to stop a blob.... the commander system provides fewer choices compared to the tree of COH1, etc. You all heard it before, but I am giving it another chance.

But the mis-clicks.... just ugh.
31 Oct 2015, 16:12 PM

To be honest I haven't heard of any actual tricks that will fix that, other than relic fixing it.

Try lower your setting and see how that go, there was also if you disable the replays from being created will give you little more power. Also restart your game after 3-4 games.

I use hotkeys for 99% of my commands and they seem to work.

Other than that I don't know.
31 Oct 2015, 19:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Oct 2015, 16:01 PMAvNY

Maybe it's me but I am finding it hard to accept that that is the answer. It feels seriously laggy compared to the instant responses of COH1.

How does a game in 2015 get away with charging "full price" (into 3 figures for all content) when it can't log a mouse click properly? We know it isn't the battleservers since they didn't exist in the beginning..

Sadly, its true. This game is in state that u need to play this on (barely)casual level, hop in, couple of games, hop out. Anything more than that and u will get frustrated and curse relic for such sloppy job of optimization, bugs and balance, almost everything that matters to enjoy in a game.
There is no time for fixing a game when they need to make DLC's, commanders, factions so they can make money and further support this game, by producing more commanders factions etc. that make the game more unbalanced and somehow worse in optimization.
31 Oct 2015, 20:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Oct 2015, 15:40 PMAvNY

I seem to constantly have to re-click on a button, or make a deliberate click, to get an "effect". I want to quicly throw a grenade, click a tier and build a unit, something... and I realize I have not clicked the unit, it doesn't retreat, or throw a nade, etc if I did it with the speed with which I used in COH1.

and then throw the nade.

Is there some setting that is wrong? Is there some sort of lag? (For the record, I am in New York, not sure if that affects battle servers though it shouldn't.)

Yes! I've always wondered if it was just me... I've lost units that haven't retreated and abilities that didn't work. And in CoH1, it was so slick.

Yeah, you absolutely have to watch to make sure it happens. I've wondered if it happens when the mouse is moving while you do it (like when you try to do something quickly). I've not been able to reproduce it intentioanlly though.

Astarot, thanks for the link!
31 Oct 2015, 21:06 PM

Welcome to CoH2 bro. Don't wanna ruin your optimism or hope, but there are a couple technical terms you must know about CoH2. Number one is:

#adapt
31 Oct 2015, 22:04 PM

and then throw the nade.

I had the same issue, just use shortcut instead, i bought a mouse that has alot of buttons on the side, there, i have retreat, reinforce, reverse, and all kinds of grenades and abilites. I simply had enough.
31 Oct 2015, 22:13 PM
Donator 11

Never had such issues. There was a delay problem for like a week in one patch but it got fixed months ago. It never happened to me that I would click something and the game would not react, I dont even check this now. The only problem is that the game likes to bugsplat like once per 25 games.
31 Oct 2015, 22:34 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Theres a difference between P2P and Battle servers (vcoh vs coh2). There's a difference in optimization and OP problems.

Check your connection/router/ISP for packet loss.
31 Oct 2015, 22:41 PM

I don't have too many issues here, but then again I use hotkeys for everything.

I think it's caused by Relic's UI only running at 30 FPS, which means that any mismatched frames (if your framerate is faster/slower) could not register. The UI is rendered independently of 3D resolution in CoH2, unlike CoH1 or DoW2, which is also why you can lower the 3D resolution in game options to 50% or 66%.

This doesn't affect hotkeys because those use Directinput or giving units movement/attack orders.

Just my theory anyway.
31 Oct 2015, 22:45 PM
Donator 22

and then throw the nade.

I think it is a combination of the game not being optimised and lag. I know it's not the right answer but you do get used to it but it is not helpful when you trying to pull of something which is clinical.
31 Oct 2015, 22:45 PM
Donator 11

I don't have too many issues here, but then again I use hotkeys for everything.

I think it's caused by Relic's UI only running at 30 FPS, which means that any mismatched frames (if your framerate is faster/slower) could not register. The UI is rendered independently of 3D resolution in CoH2, unlike CoH1 or DoW2, which is also why you can lower the 3D resolution in game options to 50% or 66%.

Just my theory anyway.

In every GUI techonology I know the action on buttons and catching the clicks is completely independent to drawing buttons themselves, meaning it is done with different thread. I don't think relic could screw it as bad to mix graphical and event handling code.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★