Login

russian armor

Universal Carrier

14 Oct 2015, 18:33 PM

So I realize everyone has mental scars from CoH1, but is there any actual reason why units shouldn't be able to shoot out of this thing? If Americans and Soviets can do it, I think it'd be nice if British infantry could as well. The cost of the carrier could even be increased somewhat to something say 250/20 to compensate. (Although I don't think that's really necessary)

Considering it is one shot by the raketenwerfer or a teller mine and 2 shot by panzer faust, I think this would be fine.
14 Oct 2015, 20:40 PM

The reason is so that the Brits have a poor early game to compensate for their previously OP late game. Now that their late game has been nerfed there's no real reason besides the cheap cost.
14 Oct 2015, 20:44 PM

British units in Bren would have their green cover rate of fire, and having that rate on the move would be overwhelming at the beginning of the match
14 Oct 2015, 21:23 PM

You can still snare / kill it easily if he over extends as Wher.. If he doesnt, no problem then no?

Okw can get a early shrek and or a raketen. Though I doubt you would need both for a UC..

Doubt it would be OP.
14 Oct 2015, 21:45 PM

British units in Bren would have their green cover rate of fire, and having that rate on the move would be overwhelming at the beginning of the match

Not much more overwhelming than flame cars I would think.

I think it could certainly be tweaked to be balanced. It's an issue of timing more than effectiveness.
14 Oct 2015, 21:59 PM

So I realize everyone has mental scars from CoH1, but is there any actual reason why units shouldn't be able to shoot out of this thing? If Americans and Soviets can do it, I think it'd be nice if British infantry could as well. The cost of the carrier could even be increased somewhat to something say 250/20 to compensate. (Although I don't think that's really necessary)

Considering it is one shot by the raketenwerfer or a teller mine and 2 shot by panzer faust, I think this would be fine.

if you make panzerfausts and tellermines free, sure.

else it's just a mobile bunker that will kite everything infinitely. a well microed bren is hard enough to kill as it is. making the personnel carrier portion (which is way underused in my opinion anyway) a second clown car would put it probably beyond UKF release OP. bad enough that you can't counter WC51s with zooks with a 222, imagine the same thing with commandos.
14 Oct 2015, 23:20 PM
Patrion 28

given that it can't be repaired for the first couple minutes i think it would probably be fine. the garrisoned squads aren't going to contribute vet to the bren (afaik) and the damage on the base unit is shit, slowing down the bren's vet and therefore the vet 1 reapir so you can't use it like an m3, WC51, or kubel.
14 Oct 2015, 23:50 PM
Honorary Member Badge

UC has high armor and very good handling compared to nominally similar light vehicles (lowish speed but excellent acceleration). Practically speaking it would be impossible for any kind of faust flank to succeed on a competent opponent, and it would be able to sit in front of MGs and decrew with a squad inside firing out with green cover ROF. I don't think it would promulgate interesting gameplay.
15 Oct 2015, 00:08 AM

Making sections able to shot from inside would make the bren upgrade on the carrier obsolete.

Also green cover on the move would turn brits into a strong early game faction, which would contradict with their weak early - strong late game design.
15 Oct 2015, 00:14 AM
Donator 11

I think it is a matter of design and interesting feature. There is no need to make another m3 from it, we already have that one in game. Think of it like a baby version of 251, just like m3 is a baby version of m5 ;) I actually used them to transport units before gathering 90 muni back when wasp was good.
15 Oct 2015, 00:16 AM

UC has high armor

200 hp with 10/5 armor is hardly tough.
222 have 240 hp with 9/45 armor, and that thing is known for being fragile.
15 Oct 2015, 00:40 AM
Honorary Member Badge

200 hp with 10/5 armor is hardly tough.
222 have 240 hp with9/45 armor, and that thing is known for being fragile.

M3A1 5.4 / 4.2
Kubelwagen: 4 / 2
Dodge WC51: 5.2 / 4

The Dodge and M3A1 are the most comparable to the proposed UC with firing ports, and those have, as near as makes no difference, half the armor. This difference is very obvious ingame- neither of those two units can sit in front of an MG and beat it head on under nearly all circumstances. The UC with a squad inside it will easily be able to.

The 222 occupies a timing / cost niche of its own and is hardly comparable in function and purpose.
15 Oct 2015, 00:54 AM
Patrion 28

M3A1 5.4 / 4.2
Kubelwagen: 4 / 2
Dodge WC51: 5.2 / 4

The Dodge and M3A1 are the most comparable to the proposed UC with firing ports, and those have, as near as makes no difference, half the armor. This difference is very obvious ingame- neither of those two units can sit in front of an MG and beat it head on under nearly all circumstances. The UC with a squad inside it will easily be able to.

The 222 occupies a timing / cost niche of its own and is hardly comparable in function and purpose.

i'm not hugely bothered by that as you're looking at 500mp/15fuel (don't remember the UC's cost) vs the 240mp or 260mp of an mg. especially since that requires two units from the brits very limited start and they can't repair the UC until they hit vet 1 or t1. the brits also don't get an infantry flamer option and getting the UC flamer prevents a squad from riding. one more squad there with the MG, particularly grens, and the UC won't beat the MG.
15 Oct 2015, 01:05 AM
Honorary Member Badge

i'm not hugely bothered by that as you're looking at 500mp/15fuel (don't remember the UC's cost) vs the 240mp or 260mp of an mg.

The MG - with grenadiers protecting from a straight rush using fausts - is the de facto soft counter to light vehicles. Hard counters don't appear until 4-6 minutes with the 222 and pak. The tommy in UC combo doesn't just counter 260MP worth of MG- I'm confident in using it to counter the entire ostheer T0/T1 army with a bit of simple reverse micro. You just out-DPS at range and take insignificant small arms fire damage.

As for repairs, the UC sets platoon command post time back by slightly more than 30 seconds, not significant.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★