Login

russian armor

Zooka wiping out inf

14 Oct 2015, 12:07 PM
Patrion 28

You are missing the point, which is that dedicated anti-vehicle weapons have to reason to be fired constantly and automatically upon infantry. Is that so hard to understand? This isn't Quake Live or Unreal Tournament.
It's a WW2 game that prides on it's 'immersion'.

he's not missing the point, he genuinely didn't understand what the issue was because it's so rare.
14 Oct 2015, 13:29 PM
Donator 33

You are missing the point, which is that dedicated anti-vehicle weapons have to reason to be fired constantly and automatically upon infantry. Is that so hard to understand? This isn't Quake Live or Unreal Tournament.
It's a WW2 game that prides on it's 'immersion'.

Aside from your unpleasant tone, I agree.

It would be really cool if Relic could implement that 'zooks and shreks only got fired at vehicles. I always thought it was silly and immersion-breaking. Probably a lot of work to code though. There are more pressing issues.
14 Oct 2015, 13:47 PM

Is this a joke topic or something?

First off, bazookas were and panzershrecks actually *were* utilized for anti-infantry, especially against troops inside buildings and defensive positions. Anyone whose immersion is shattered by a bazookas killing a model or two should go play something else.

Second, this is RNG dependent in the EXTREME. If the bazooka was worth a reliable damn in the anti-infantry department, we'd be seeing a lot more aggressive use of the Captain.

It happens with both panzershrecks and bazookas. If you see it happening more with bazookas in your personal experience, that doesn't mean that the bazooka is OP. It means you have shitty luck and aren't spamming enough of your damned ISGs.
14 Oct 2015, 14:09 PM
Patrion 14

As an aside not related to gameplay, can someone enlighten me - I was under the impression that Zook and Schreck are hollow point charge weapons and as such would not deliver an effective explosion that busts cover, but would rather be effective mostly against live targets in enclosed positions (which I gather from velmarg's post is what they were actually used for)?

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Oct 2015, 13:47 PMvelmarg
First off, bazookas were and panzershrecks actually *were* utilized for anti-infantry, especially against troops inside buildings and defensive positions. Anyone whose immersion is shattered by a bazookas killing a model or two should go play something else.
The ability to bust cover is nice, but I suppose what people find irritating is the notion that, for example, OKW, a munition-starved faction, can go about affording to fire off Schreck shot after Schreck shot at 7 second intervals at a squad of infantry standing behind a wooden fence.

Second, this is RNG dependent in the EXTREME. If the bazooka was worth a reliable damn in the anti-infantry department, we'd be seeing a lot more aggressive use of the Captain.
I guess that out-of-the-left-field RNG modelsnipe is what people mind when it happens, which is rare to be sure, but still happens.

We now have target tables for a reason. Add 0.4 dmg modifier vs infantry for handheld AT weapons. This should reduce frustration but still have an impact on the squad health (would leave full health models with dangerously low HP).
14 Oct 2015, 14:24 PM

maybe you should try to smoke and flank
14 Oct 2015, 15:39 PM

Aside from your unpleasant tone, I agree.

It would be really cool if Relic could implement that 'zooks and shreks only got fired at vehicles. I always thought it was silly and immersion-breaking. Probably a lot of work to code though. There are more pressing issues.

Yeah sorry, the tone was in response to his patronizing pretend ignorance ^^

Is this a joke topic or something?

I'm sure they were utilized, which means "make practical and effective use of". It only makes sense. What doesn't make sense is squads running around shooting rockets, which you can't call 'utilize'. I'm sure this wasn't the case.

Have you played lately? It's pretty reliable. You will do damage, because even if you miss, there is an explosion that damages every model, not just the one you missed. I lose models every game from anti-vehicle rockets, and every time it's costing me the engagement.
Still, that's not the problem. It subtracts from the immersion, the same way snipers in scout cars did.
14 Oct 2015, 15:42 PM

Thanks, I'll pass the information along.

I have a suggestion in this regard: how about implementing a bonus dmg mechanic so the zooks/shreks do less dmg to infantry but more to vehicles. Like you guys have already done with ptrs
14 Oct 2015, 16:24 PM

I was playing once as OKW on La Gleise north. The american enemy was harassing my fuel with the Captain, and I went against him using my newly made ober squad, that just received its MG34. As the squad was jumping a fence, the captain approached a cover - I think it was a tank scrap - and a zook round fire just as all the squad was bunched up, finishing crossing the fence. Full wipe.

I didn't lose because of this, because I made a poor fight overall, but morale sure did sink to new lows after that one.

No, I don't have any replay to prove it. :(
14 Oct 2015, 16:26 PM

Get over it.

It's part of the game. It has always been part of the game. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

A game has never been decided by luck. (Although many ragequits have been caused by it.)
14 Oct 2015, 16:29 PM

A game has never been decided by luck.

Maybe. Although it sometimes have a deciding factor in the victory. I think I don't have to put examples here.
14 Oct 2015, 16:34 PM

I'm sure they were utilized, which means "make practical and effective use of". It only makes sense. What doesn't make sense is squads running around shooting rockets, which you can't call 'utilize'. I'm sure this wasn't the case.

Have you played lately? It's pretty reliable. You will do damage, because even if you miss, there is an explosion that damages every model, not just the one you missed. I lose models every game from anti-vehicle rockets, and every time it's costing me the engagement.
Still, that's not the problem. It subtracts from the immersion, the same way snipers in scout cars did.

If you're looking for immersion grounded in realism, COH2 is not the game for you or anyone who thinks likewise. It's a game where men with rifles will repeatedly miss firing at point blank range. It's a game where walking into a hail of machine gun fire will simply force your squad the hug the ground for 15 seconds before they suddenly can't move. It's a game where players can slap a few sandbags on the ground behind a wall and then abandon construction to deny the enemy cover; where often the most effective way to eliminate partially constructed razor wire is to have your men fire their rifles at it; where hand held AT grenades, panzerfausts and AT rifle grenades are all heat-seeking and will bend around trees and corners of buildings to hit a tank in just the right spot to disable it, as long as it's taken 10% damage.

I personally don't take issue with any of the above (except ghosting with sand bags) because it's a game that has to follow some rules that don't 100% click with reality. Given all of that though, if you're coming at this whole thing with "broken immersion" being the backbone of your argument, are bazookas really THE thing that demands your attention, that rattles you out of your "zone"?

Bazookas will occasionally kill models in the same way the panzershrecks from a Volks blob and the occasional AT gun round will. If you're consistently losing engagements and, should we infer(?), even games because of the Captain unit with his two bazookas, I really don't think the issue is that the bazooka is overperforming against infantry. No one sees the Captain hit the field and thinks, "Shit, he went Captain! Pull everything back, EVERYTHING BACK!"

14 Oct 2015, 16:49 PM

if you dont want stuff like this to happen, play starcraft
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Korea, Republic Of 9
Germany 2
Germany 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L