Login

russian armor

LMG-42

• This thread is locked
20 Jun 2013, 20:18 PM

So let me state i am not quite sure what to do with this weapon upgrade, at 60 munis it is quite expensive, but then on the other hand it's damage output is quite insane.

The reason i have a problem with this weapon is just the sheer amount of damage it does, now i have heard people saying it is fine because you need to stand still, but most of the time you want to be still and in cover for the accuracy and defense bonus(though small as it is) so i see this a bit of a non issue. each burst kills at least 1 conscript, and its reload timer is not that high.

To try and put this into perspective for the ostheer fans, i picked one up with a vet 2 cons squad, i stoped in the open and went toe to toe with a vet 1 Pgren unit, the Pgrens had yellow cover, 1 burst droped one, secound burst dropped the secound one, a lucky headshot from a regular rifle killed the 3 and the LMG open up again and killed the 4th, all in about 6 to 7 second's worth of fighting. as i recall vet 2 cons get an accuracy bonus so that helped the LMG alot, but it just goes to shows the LMG just shreds infantry.

Now i belive myself to have an open and objective mind about balance even though i am a pure soviet player, so i would like to ask to community for its opinions about this weapon,
is it fair? to expensive, to cheap, how should it be changed?

Thanks for reading and please keep it civil
21 Jun 2013, 00:25 AM

Permanently Banned
21 Jun 2013, 01:30 AM

Excellent constructive criticism as usual Nullist.
21 Jun 2013, 01:42 AM

Definitely not too cheap, it's the same cost as a flamer.

On a side note, gewehr 42 + lmg grenadier teams have ridiculous damage output.

Grens are still pretty fragile, and most of the elite soviet troops can just rush up to one even with a LMG with Oorah and beat them. The LMG gren is best used when it has something in front of it to tank damage, like a pioneer or another gren squad.
22 Jun 2013, 02:30 AM

pretty much spot on, german infantry do get pretty powerful once upgrades and vet comes into play. however, at 60munitions, its an upgrade best left for mid game when u have enough munitions to get more than 1 LMG.

while it cuts mobility, it is soviet infantry that have to move to win engagements(throw tovs and nade), not the grenadiers. just keep them in cover and at long range and the LMG will shred everything since it outdps at all ranges.

also it does quite a number on elite infantry too. btw do guards and shocktroopers have oorah?
22 Jun 2013, 03:11 AM

I wish it was replaced by MP40.
22 Jun 2013, 03:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jun 2013, 02:30 AMwongtp

also it does quite a number on elite infantry too. btw do guards and shocktroopers have oorah?

They do not, but vet 2 conscripts are basically elite infantry in my eyes.
22 Jun 2013, 06:08 AM

Except for the damage, vet 2 cons do no where near the same damage as Shocks, they just rip through everything atm, which they should at 480 mp....
22 Jun 2013, 07:48 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Problem is, grenadiers (and infantry in general) have this propensity for jumping around when given a stop command, even in cover. This is amplified by flamethrowers, which means the theoretical DPS of the LMG is much smaller than it should be. I played a test game against an AI, and my 3-man LMG grenadiers lost to a sniper team at point blank simply because the lmg guy just twitched back and forth on his belly right in front of the sniper.
27 Jun 2013, 20:39 PM

Just restrict Grens to upgrade to LMG or G43. With both they're kinda broken. =S
Exept that I think LMG is fine.
27 Jun 2013, 21:17 PM

If the Ostheer player has enough munitions to upgrade them with both and you lose to him, you probably would have lost anyways.

Buying both upgrades is a bad idea because it is a huge investment into a single unit that should be split on two units. It also maximizes the risk of dropping one of the weapons and makes picking up other weapons like Panzerschrecks to deny them to the enemy impossible with that squad.
Overall, buying both upgrades is just a bad idea.
27 Jun 2013, 21:36 PM

Getting both upgrades in later game-stages (esp. for your Vet-Units) is pretty common and not a that big investment.
The DMG output then is just insane for a T1 Unit.
18 Jul 2023, 13:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jun 2013, 20:18 PMCrells
So let me state i am not quite sure what to do with this weapon upgrade, at 60 munis it is quite expensive, but then on the other hand it's damage output is quite insane.

The reason i have a problem with this weapon is just the sheer amount of damage it does, now i have heard people saying it is fine because you need to stand still, but most of the time you want to be still and in cover for the accuracy and defense bonus(though small as it is) so i see this a bit of a non issue. each burst kills at least 1 conscript, and its reload timer is not that high.

To try and put this into perspective for the ostheer fans, i picked one up with a vet 2 cons squad, i stoped in the open and went toe to toe with a vet 1 Pgren unit, the Pgrens had yellow cover, 1 burst droped one, secound burst dropped the secound one, a lucky headshot from a regular rifle killed the 3 and the LMG open up again and killed the 4th, all in about 6 to 7 second's worth of fighting. as i recall vet 2 cons get an accuracy bonus so that helped the LMG alot, but it just goes to shows the LMG just shreds infantry.

Now i belive myself to have an open and objective mind about balance even though i am a pure soviet player, so i would like to ask to community for its opinions about this weapon,
is it fair? to expensive, to cheap, how should it be changed?

Thanks for reading and please keep it civil

agreed
18 Jul 2023, 17:25 PM

June 2013

19 Jul 2023, 18:35 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Jesus Christ Donnie...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 35
Peru 4
United States 1