Login

russian armor

Can we talk about PIAT's?

2 Oct 2015, 16:31 PM

What do you think of them? I haven't seen them be terribly effective but then again I haven't tried them against paper vehicles like Kubel Wagons or Halftracks.
2 Oct 2015, 16:33 PM
Donator 11

From my experience they can't hit anything that is moving and you are better off spending your munis elsewhere and relying on the 6lb'er for all your early-mid game AT needs.
2 Oct 2015, 16:34 PM

They were devastating during alpha, now they are close to being useless.
I mean, why would you pick not-homing AT weapon when you can get great 6 pounder?
2 Oct 2015, 21:10 PM

Useless. I would rather they replace them with AT rifles
3 Oct 2015, 09:47 AM

Well, I really struggle to find them effective. They never seem to hit things, maybe to finish of something that rolled over a mine and got its engine destroyed, but really 6pdrs and fireflies in the late game are really sufficient to deter any armour, so why would you bother? It's not like tommies or engineers are durable or cheap enough to make pursuits after damaged tanks reliably and cost effectively. If the stens on commandos get nerfed, it might be worthwhile to experiment giving PIATS to them, cause I guess that the camo and hold fire along with the sprint at the start of an engagement might let them excell at ambushing scouting and spearheading vehicles. At the current state of them however, I would assume that picking them up on mandos is a waste of precious AI DPS, which again, the tommies also need support with.
3 Oct 2015, 10:06 AM

piats are cheap put them on sappers and let them work their magic piat do more damage and have better pen then bazooka but they are hrad to hit
3 Oct 2015, 10:53 AM

I think theyre awesome, especially if you use it in combination with the stun shot from the AEC. Or on a tank thats hit a mine.
3 Oct 2015, 15:19 PM

You have to get really close, but when you do the damage is absurd for the price.

3 Oct 2015, 19:08 PM

piats are cheap put them on sappers and let them work their magic piat do more damage and have better pen then bazooka but they are hrad to hit

Bazookas and PIATS have the same penetration values.
3 Oct 2015, 23:40 PM

Not sure about penetration values but PIATS are special in that they do partial damage even when they don't Penetrate I do believe. In that way they are pretty good against slower, heavy armor.

They are still pretty meh due to their lack of homing as mentioned but they have a pretty nice damage value when they DO hit and the added range buff last patch means you can kinda sorta snipe vehicles if the other player isn't paying attention and RNG is on your side.

I like to put 1 or 2 on Sappers just to keep the other player honest around my infantry if my 6 pounder isn't around but I definitely wouldn't rely on them for my sole AT or to hunt a fast scout vehicle.
4 Oct 2015, 23:11 PM

Did some testing with these.

They're *okay* against ISG's, although they can't kill the gun. (Sniper can in like 8 shots though)

They're godlike against OKW trucks. Capable of sniping them in their base if you have vision (or atleast doing damage and forcing squads to repair) and outrange the panzer flak gun. I'm going to experiment with them in my early game brits and see if it works out well against OKW.
6 Oct 2015, 23:33 PM

let me know how the testing is going. :)
I tried my self, but i think they are not worth it. They are not hitting a moving vehicle even if its stopping for 5 sec you would not hit it.

7 Oct 2015, 14:59 PM

Had a different experience with PIAT.
I tried to spam the weapon on my 4-5 IS squad, (so 8-10 PIATS)ignoring brenn completly.
What happened was quite interesting as the big number of explosions was enough to threaten infantery, destroying any light vehicle, and greatly cripple medium tanks, forcing retreats.
The fact that this composition threaten infantery was also du to the fact that an IS squad that shoot on a tank vet up very fast.
If you compare costs you have 3 PIATS for 2 BRENN and much more AI power with the brenn but you get more polyvalence with the PIATT. (i miss an ATgrenade!)
24 Dec 2015, 03:50 AM

Attack ground micro with piats is a necessity to use them effectively especially against moving vehicles
30 Dec 2015, 17:30 PM

No pro's use them. Check the replays.

That should answer your question.

:P
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak