Login

russian armor

OCF recap thoughts

PAGES (9)down
29 Sep 2015, 05:57 AM

Lovely, this thread allows no negative comment, no criticizing.

Good job, our rather splendid moderators.

How about turning those efforts at the grand final stream chat instead? :loco:
29 Sep 2015, 05:58 AM

29 Sep 2015, 06:07 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Regarding the first week
Bracket Qualifier
*Any number mention are just arbitrary numbers made for example

-Make ladder rank matter. Give a limit date and say that the top32 average from your best Axis and Allies rank skip to R4/5. Top64 to R3/4

-Make those without any rank or with a pretty high rank (arbitrary number) play the first rounds of Bo1. You could also made them play on Saturday instead.

Theres no point on making some people play so many one sided matches (most games from R1 to R4).

Invitations
IMO they were seeded a bit too high.

Maps
New DLC maps should only appear once during this stage. If both players don't own an Expansion, they can't play on those maps (i saw this happening during R1). Why no Langres?

Commander bans
Rifle n Elite: i think it's more about an issue with vet rifles (not so much with flamers or E8s), vetting troops and the TA.

Veto commander? Fatigue system?
29 Sep 2015, 06:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Sep 2015, 05:44 AMWiFiDi
okay so i just cleaned what im pretty sure is this entire thread and now i can finally say that. Frankly I don't care if you think coh1/coh2 "community" is superior. :loco: it doesn't really matter and it certainty has no relevancy in this thread. its disrespectful to the guy who put effort into making the thread, not to mention people in the community people are referring to... >:( Don't be surprised if some of you get some messages in your inboxes about how inconvenient you've just made my night. :nahnah: Okay, okay you got me that would require far more effort than I have the will to give tonight. :p ) So to pep my tired self up Ive decided to pull an oldie out of box (i found it by searching Google images "coh1 vs coh2" :lol: )

/hint hint the topic has nothing to do with how shit the community is. :rolleyes:

ps: nice thread by OP i haven't felt compelled to save a thread in awhile so congrats. :clap:

Honestly not much sympathy since people are free to advertise their streams on this site without any moderation of shit talking and spreading misinformation.
29 Sep 2015, 06:23 AM

i honestly disliked the finals, only the 1st game was somehow good. the other games were just stomps and boring sniper wars, same stuff every single game. i was really tired of it when game 4 started because i knew exactly what would happen... i really couldnt share the excitement about the finals as apparently some others did.

the real gems of this tourney were games with players like vindi or barton for me, very entertaining games, hell we even saw a god damn jagd tiger in ocf. these kinds of games are what makes coh2 so exciting for me, not the boring stomps for 5 games.
29 Sep 2015, 06:30 AM

Less rounds played on the first day as others have stated. Probably lost good players due to sheer exhaustion.

Actual Double Elimination finals instead of running double elimination throughout the main event EXCEPT for the finals. Doesn't make much sense - and the map/faction choice thing is hardly enough to make up for Winner bracket not being allowed to lose a series.

Also people responsible for deciding what should be banned in the tournament shouldn't be allowed to play in the tournament.

Other than that: ggwp to DevM and Aimstrong, congrats to DevM and congrats to Insane. Ending up with two clanmates in the finals shows their dominance in the scene at the moment.
29 Sep 2015, 06:33 AM
Donator 11

Thank you for the good and entertaining tournament. It was interesting to watch how the top players used the different factions.

I have some suggestions that could make this even better:
1) Divide the qualification into two parts.
a) Pre-qualifying games on Saturday for the players ranked 129-xxx. The winners advance to the qualification on the next day.
b) Qualifying games for 128 players on Sunday. Let the top seed players advance directly to this event.

2) The Main Event was good as it was. But let all players play in the qualifications. I would have enjoyed to watch some more games by Jesulin and Luvnest, but I saw only the games where Luvnest lost to OMGPOP.

Great play by DevM in the tournament. Congratulations to him!
29 Sep 2015, 06:35 AM

Me going from page 2 to page 3: WTF DID I MISS o_O
29 Sep 2015, 06:40 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Sep 2015, 06:29 AMPorygon

How is sniper war boring?
Another COH1 hate rise again?

it was basically 5 games of sniper wars, plus the 2 games with pop also featuring sniper wars.

i love coh1, but sniper wars get so incredibly boring when they happen for 7 games straight with no variation!
29 Sep 2015, 06:41 AM

There were some techical hick-ups in round 1, but I guess that is to be expected with that many players.

An alternative to the Steam chat has to be found for the tourney messages, though. Due to the chatspam it was almost impossible to get the necessary info at round 1.

Wrt. the various bans: I think players will just have to accept that someone has to make the decision about what to ban, and what not to ban. Do realise, that everyone is never going to be happy about these decisions. So maybe shoulder it instead of bitching to the tourney staff about it, right?
29 Sep 2015, 06:46 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Sep 2015, 06:35 AMHorasu
Me going from page 2 to page 3: WTF DID I MISS o_O

like this janitor just trust me you'd rather not know.

for those that want to know anyways. ;)

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Sep 2015, 05:57 AMPorygon
Lovely, this thread allows no negative comment, no criticizing.

Good job, our rather splendid moderators.

How about turning those efforts at the grand final stream chat instead? :loco:

im fien with you guys criticize the tournement. Hell that is the whole point of this thread, what are your thoughts on the event good or bad positive or negative. though preferably constructively as its more polite and less likely to break the rules. ;)
29 Sep 2015, 07:18 AM

Wrt. the various bans: I think players will just have to accept that someone has to make the decision about what to ban, and what not to ban. Do realise, that everyone is never going to be happy about these decisions. So maybe shoulder it instead of bitching to the tourney staff about it, right?

This whole thread is meant for 'bitching' about certain decisions. I don't see how the proper response is to just 'shoulder it'. Players IN the tournament shouldn't decide what things should be banned or not - at least not unless it's ALL the players deciding upon it, not just a select group.
29 Sep 2015, 07:20 AM

Semoisky Summer isn't tourney material when flamers are so damn effective. One or two burst and your MG is dead, that's not something you want to see in such a big tournament. Semoisky Summer revolves a lot around buildings and so it is a good choice to ban this. In Winter you have more room to move around buildings as the water is frozen.

4 invites is not much at all. Try looking up other invitational tournaments and you'll see.
Jesulin has won countless of tourneys, he and the others deserved the invite.

Banning certain commanders is a last resort. These bans are thought through very well and are discussed for a few days / weeks before implemented. There is a lot about balance that you (and I) don't know, so I think you can trust in such decisions made by both top players and the staff.

Hopefully you understand it a bit more now.
29 Sep 2015, 07:30 AM
Benefactor 115

I believe the player from winners bracket didn't have a big enough advantage. Devm already got beaten, it was unfair that Aimstrong wasn't given the same luxury. Even if it takes longer you should have the second set played if the person from winners loses the first set.

Personally I would only allow white bordered commanders only for tournaments to show a stance against game play elements locked behind paywalls and for fairness because all people will have access to those commanders.
29 Sep 2015, 07:32 AM

I believe the player from winners bracket didn't have a big enough advantage. Devm already got beaten, it was unfair that Aimstrong wasn't given the same luxury. Even if it takes longer you should have the second set played if the person from winners loses the first set.

Personally I would only allow white bordered commanders only for tournaments to show a stance against game play elements locked behind paywalls and for fairness because all people will have access to those commanders.

That would be kinda unfair to OKW which depends on Scavenge (most used commander for OKW in 1v1 and this past tournament) and some of the white board commanders are really crap See: some of the Ostheer ones, UKF Artillery Regiment, Luftwaffe Ground Forces, ect.
29 Sep 2015, 07:34 AM
Benefactor 3110

Hi i liked this tournament a lot. Here are my thaughts:

1. The good:
a. Great casting
Many different live casters on various twitch chanels. Great casting by ami and co caster on main chanel. i liked amis stories and his zooming in. In the very first game it was a little bit overboard, but after then great as always. Ami is still by far the best coh2 hype caster.

b. Great involvement from relic
In game banner, in game decals.

c. Great players
As far as i am concerned all the top players i wanted to see were in the tourney. Some didn´t make it in finals. I personally thaught that bartons games in the main event were some of the best, because he stayed in game and faught like a mo***. i liked this.

d. Grand finals
Devm versus aimstrong was a great set of games

2. The bad:

a. Qualifier day too long (!)
A lot of players complained that the qualfiying game had to much rounds. This is sth. co2.org should loook at imho.

b. Community complaining about DeVm and Aimstrong
Aimstrong is a player who wants to win and he has the means to do it. DeVM is a very very good player. Yeah it looks like they came back because of the ocf. Even if they have been lurking around at least since wfa. But this is e-sport. You cant say, you want an e-sport title but you want only to win the true coh2 gamers. If there is a korean player next time who wins after he played for a month and just microes everybody to death, you have to live with this too. Sport is always about success and money.

c. Invites
I do not understand invites too well, so i cant say to much about the idea behind it, but from the discussion it is sth. coh2.org needs to look at in the future.

3. The ugly

There wasn´t anything really ugly. The patch before hotfix was pretty ugly, but coh2.org solved it pretty well. if the finalists really didn´t use ocf decals as an protest i think it was uncool in an community sponsored event - because it is unpolite against everybody not just ami. Since those two players are the best coh2 players in world atm, they earned themself some special treatment. If they just didn´t like the decals "never mind".

Congratulations to DeVM, Aimstrong, OmgPOP and all the other players for great games. Thx to coh2.org crew and ami of course for a great event. There are so many people working on this event, behind the secenes who aren´t mentioned enough or at all, big cheers to you.

I was entertained, ami.

Best Regards
awa59b
29 Sep 2015, 07:56 AM

pls.

Moar logic moar N.Cage
29 Sep 2015, 08:02 AM

Well, I might as well add my 2 cents:

The good:
Lots of really good games from top players, loved to see them duke it out for $$$

The bad:
Honestly, I didn't like Ami as a caster. He talks over actual commentary and interjects with his own pointless narration. His co-casters try to do play-by-plays and he literally talks over them about how cool the trees are or something. We don't care about your self-appointed houses in Arhnem checkpoint! He zones out of the action to wistfully look at some insignificant detail for way too long! He reminds me of someone who's just bored of his job and tries to pass the time by doing literally anything but his job.

Okay this kind of turned into a "flame ami" post, but I hope I didn't come off too mean and this can be taken as constructive criticism on how to improve his casts for the future. More analysis, more play-by-plays! Less talking about dumb houses. Literally nobody cares but you, dude
PAGES (9)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS